Specialized Status

PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Status
Posted: Sep 9, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
I hope he one day comes back to it but for now he is in to riding moto and needs money for motorcycle parts.

Posted: Dec 28, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
Hi,
my friend cracked the lower swinging arm on his Status today. Is there anywhere in the UK that still sells frames or parts?
Any help would be great,]
thanks.

Posted: Dec 29, 2019 at 5:32 Quote
Unfortunately dont know anywhere, someone I speak to in this forum cracked his aswell.he was looking into getting it tig welded am sure but not heard from him since he was saying that, Try hit up specialized and see what they say might have a old one kicking about worth a try

Posted: Dec 30, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
grantgeesmith wrote:
Unfortunately dont know anywhere, someone I speak to in this forum cracked his aswell.he was looking into getting it tig welded am sure but not heard from him since he was saying that, Try hit up specialized and see what they say might have a old one kicking about worth a try

Thanks for the reply,
He is gonna give the weld a go but it's hard to know what AL Specialized use, hopefully it will be a lucky guess.

Posted: Dec 31, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
Yeah am not that clued up on tig welding, but on my status it says m4 specific aluminium manipulation, dont know if that helps you or not.
Hopfully yous get it sorted, where about is the crack? Is it on the main weld where the swing arm is welded together?

Posted: Jan 4, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
grantgeesmith wrote:
Yeah am not that clued up on tig welding, but on my status it says m4 specific aluminium manipulation, dont know if that helps you or not.
Hopfully yous get it sorted, where about is the crack? Is it on the main weld where the swing arm is welded together?

That may be really helpful and I do appreciate this. It's not my bike but my friends', he does know a good welder but the problem is knowing the type of weld to do. The swinging arm of the bike is broke in two by the weld that holds them together in the middle.

Basically look down the back wheel, one arm either side, he's now left holding one in each hand.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 9:26 Quote
Its me , i havent time to send it for welding yet, but looks like all the status frames are cracking on the same spot. Specializes dont have any extra. If your frame is still Under warranty (2yrs for rear triangle) then you will get demo.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 0:10 Quote
To properly weld heat treated aluminum you must first remove all paint, dirt, finish etc from the part, anneal the part, weld the part, anneal and align followed by heat treatment. It's an expensive time consuming process. Often you will spend less replacing the frame then correctly repairing it.

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 6:25 Quote
Lots cheap used frames for sale,

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 12:39 Quote
rob748 wrote:
Lots cheap used frames for sale,

Exactly!
Always wondered why people were selling cracked frames on PB?? Eek
Also wondered if people ever bought them??

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 at 6:28 Quote
Uncracked medium $150 in classified.
also a buddy has one for sale local.
Mines still going strong.

Posted: Jan 24, 2020 at 14:21 Quote
Ok so, M4 meant something to the welder. It's done now and will be tested tomorrow and if it wasn't for your post it was a new bike so I can't say thank you enough for helping my friend out. A simple post online can make such a difference and all I can say is thank you very much. It's made this weekend cool for not only me but the other friend who tags along in his van. Thank you.

weedoot wrote:
grantgeesmith wrote:

That may be really helpful and I do appreciate this. It's not my bike but my friends', he does know a good welder but the problem is knowing the type of weld to do. The swinging arm of the bike is broke in two by the weld that holds them together in the middle.

Basically look down the back wheel, one arm either side, he's now left holding one in each hand.

Posted: Jan 25, 2020 at 10:28 Quote
Awesome to hear man, hopfully it holds no harm in trying it, and that's what forums are about trying to help people out, good luck

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 6:55 Quote
Hi, i don't have mine welded yet, did the welded one held well?

Posted: Jan 30, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
To properly weld heat treated aluminum you must first remove all paint, dirt, finish etc from the part, anneal the part, weld the part, anneal and align followed by heat treatment. It's an expensive time consuming process. Often you will spend less replacing the frame then correctly repairing it.
Thanks Ajax, Thats exactly what will happen for 30€ by my friend that has access to a proper welding and heat treating mashine.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006183
Mobile Version of Website