Specialized Status

PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Status
Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 14:39 Quote
@anybody who has put a diff wheelset (and even switched to full 27.5):
Is it just me or are the stock rims (Roval Traverse Al's) pretty heavy? I borrowed my buddy's i9 trail rim and torch front hub to try out full 27.5 so I will find out how that feels but boyyyy does the front feel a million pounds lighter lol (exaggerating of course but wheelies just got 2x easier. I've been keeping an eye on the wheelset market with curiosity for going that route. What do you guys think? Worth the switch for the weight savings and overall shred-ability? Also I probably wont switch the 29" rhythm fork until I really feel the need so there's that...or I get loose with this stimmy

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 14:57 Quote
crankdatcoop wrote:
Is it just me or are the stock rims (Roval Traverse Al's) pretty heavy? I borrowed my buddy's i9 trail rim and torch front hub to try out full 27.5 so I will find out how that feels but boyyyy does the front feel a million pounds lighter lol (exaggerating of course but wheelies just got 2x easier. I've been keeping an eye on the wheelset market with curiosity for going that route. What do you guys think? Worth the switch for the weight savings and overall shred-ability? Also I probably wont switch the 29" rhythm fork until I really feel the need so there's that...or I get loose with this stimmy

I havent compared the weight to another wheel set, but I sure have noticed the Rovals dent horribly. I have only had my 160 since November, and already I have several sidewall dents in them. They are still true, but I never had any dents in my DT E1900s. So kind of disappointed.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
mikeinhoodriver wrote:
crankdatcoop wrote:

I havent compared the weight to another wheel set, but I sure have noticed the Rovals dent horribly. I have only had my 160 since November, and already I have several sidewall dents in them. They are still true, but I never had any dents in my DT E1900s. So kind of disappointed.

Yeah mine look pretty 'used' as well. The finish likes to scratch incredibly easy and its pretty visible. They do remain pretty true I will give them that but just throwing an old 27.5 i9 trail rim on the front felt pretty sick just cruising and must have cut 2 maybe 3 pounds off the bike (estimate). I still have to hit some jumps and send it down a local trail and I will have more feedback about full 27.5 setup even though it wont be with a matching set of rims.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 21:38 Quote
I switched to spank 350 vibrocore with cushcore front and rear still mullet. Still lighter than stock.

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
I switched to spank 350 vibrocore with cushcore front and rear still mullet. Still lighter than stock.

Nug, sweet!

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 6:35 Quote
I've taken mine for a few rides now and the rear shock seems to blow through its travel really quickly. I'm about 205 lbs kitted and I'm at 300psi in the rear / stock spacers. I haven't done any park laps yet but a few 2-3' drops and rougher trails has me going through about 90% of travel. Anyone else finding the same thing to be true?

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 11:04 Quote
sjma wrote:
I've taken mine for a few rides now and the rear shock seems to blow through its travel really quickly. I'm about 205 lbs kitted and I'm at 300psi in the rear / stock spacers. I haven't done any park laps yet but a few 2-3' drops and rougher trails has me going through about 90% of travel. Anyone else finding the same thing to be true?

Hmm, I am also 200 lbs, prob over 205 kitted out and I havent noticed any problems with mine.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 11:25 Quote
mikeinhoodriver wrote:
sjma wrote:

Hmm, I am also 200 lbs, prob over 205 kitted out and I havent noticed any problems with mine.

The guys at the shop I bought it from said they typically see the DPX2 using a lot of travel on FSR bikes for what it’s worth. I just wasn’t sure if my case was unusual or if I should expect quite a bit more ramp up upon bigger hits. Still getting used to how this bike handles though so it might be much ado about nothing.

Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 12:32 Quote
sjma wrote:

I had the same issue, put the largest spacer in the shock I could and upped the pressure and that seems to have helped. I'm on the 140 for reference

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2021 at 14:26 Quote
Jonnysnow wrote:
sjma wrote:

I had the same issue, put the largest spacer in the shock I could and upped the pressure and that seems to have helped. I'm on the 140 for reference

I’m on the 160 but I’ll give that a shot. My shock pump is maxed out at 300psi so I might have to pick up a new one. Thanks for the idea

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
Jonnysnow wrote:
sjma wrote:

@Jonnysnow how much do you weigh kitted and what psi you running in there with the biggest spacer? I have been curious about this too since I'm probably 200 kitted running 260-270psi but I do notice that after almost every trail ride my o-ring is pretty much bottomed out haha should I just throw the full 300 in there? Also with the extra spacer, the ramp up will be a bit quicker right?

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
crankdatcoop wrote:
Jonnysnow wrote:
sjma wrote:

@Jonnysnow how much do you weigh kitted and what psi you running in there with the biggest spacer? I have been curious about this too since I'm probably 200 kitted running 260-270psi but I do notice that after almost every trail ride my o-ring is pretty much bottomed out haha should I just throw the full 300 in there? Also with the extra spacer, the ramp up will be a bit quicker right?

From what I’ve read in Fox’s service manual you can safely run 350psi in the DPX2 - my pump only goes to 300 though so that’s where I was referencing that amount from.

What I’ve been able to understand is that the larger spacer will make the ramp up quicker at the end of the stroke (like, logarithmically). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted: Mar 20, 2021 at 21:23 Quote
sjma wrote:
crankdatcoop wrote:
Jonnysnow wrote:

From what I’ve read in Fox’s service manual you can safely run 350psi in the DPX2 - my pump only goes to 300 though so that’s where I was referencing that amount from.

What I’ve been able to understand is that the larger spacer will make the ramp up quicker at the end of the stroke (like, logarithmically). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I'm about 92kg kitted up and 186cm on an S4 140mm. Have largest spacer in the dpx2 and think pressure is around 250psi, would have to check to be certain tho.

Posted: Mar 21, 2021 at 0:19 Quote
[Quote="sjma"]
crankdatcoop wrote:

Running more pressure and a smaller spacer is the only way to improve midstroke on the dpx2 without a valve job

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015400
Mobile Version of Website