Specialized Status

PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Status
Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
After becoming bored with the stock Rythm air shock I want to upgrade to a coil. I've seen a few unicorns online with ohlins, cane creek, and push's so I think most of the talk about it being "progressive" enough could just be people's hesitations. Would make for a fun and (slightly) less anxious experience since I wouldn't constantly be thinking if there's enough air in my shock and if its wide open or closed. I suppose having that adjustability for climbs is nice but I have seen some of the nicer coils have lockouts or adjustability switches. Thoughts? Frustrations if you have switched? Worth a few hundred bucks? Also what size specs of coil shock should I be looking for?

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 9:42 Quote
thunder-nuggets wrote:
Here’s mine

photo

So, in your opinion, is this a frame worth throwing money at?

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 at 12:24 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
Here’s mine

photo

It's a fantastic design! Definitely worth investing in. But throwing money at any bike is perhaps foolhardy.

Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 2:15 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
thunder-nuggets wrote:
Here’s mine

photo

Its cheap and cheerful ear to ear grin inducing fun

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
Hi Guys
I’m looking to change out for a coil. What is the wheel travel for the 160?

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 11:09 Quote
Gazmiggy wrote:
Hi Guys
you mean the shock stroke?
or the actual wheel travel pretty sure its 230x60 if you mean for the shock stroke

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
Compositepro wrote:
Gazmiggy wrote:
Hi Guys
or the actual wheel travel pretty sure its 230x60 if you mean for the shock stroke

No I mean the actual wheel travel, apparently it’s one of the factors you need for working out which coil you need.

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 8:54 Quote
wheel travel is 160mm, if you use 65 stroke it's 174mm

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 11:19 Quote
Gazmiggy wrote:
Compositepro wrote:
Gazmiggy wrote:
Hi Guys

No I mean the actual wheel travel, apparently it’s one of the factors you need for working out which coil you need.

I have never heard that , how does that work?

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 13:58 Quote
Hey team, looking to purchase a status as soon as they’re available here in NZ. Due to all the stock being in the South Island, it’s hard to test ride a size. Im 6’3” currently ride an XL 2018 norco range, and am torn between the s4 and s5. I love all fast down trails, flowy or rooty, but love some good jumps and trail hits too, and my local spots are mostly pedal up. I’ve read through the forum but seems the size is more a preference thing.

What size are people my height riding?

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
I’m 6’0” with a 34” inseam and am comfortable on an S4. You would be on the low end of S5 / high end of S4 on Specialized’s S chart.

You mentioned your local spots are pedal up - if you’re doing double track or paved road climbing followed by DH style descents, you might be more comfortable on an S5. If you have climbs more like regular single track I would personally go for an S4 at your height.

The Status isn’t a climber like a trail bike or even really like a good enduro bike, it’s heavy and the front end is weird unless you really work it on tech climbs. You’ll be using the climb switch on that shock, too. That being said, it’s fun as hell going downhill and definitely a good value bike.

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 13:26 Quote
Mackb22 wrote:
Hey team, looking to purchase a status as soon as they’re available here in NZ. Due to all the stock being in the South Island, it’s hard to test ride a size. Im 6’3” currently ride an XL 2018 norco range, and am torn between the s4 and s5. I love all fast down trails, flowy or rooty, but love some good jumps and trail hits too, and my local spots are mostly pedal up. I’ve read through the forum but seems the size is more a preference thing.

What size are people my height riding?

I'm on a S4 status 140 and think it's great. I'm 186 cm and wouldn't want to be any taller though. At your height I would think you're squarely in S5 territory. Ideally take one for a test ride so you can see for yourself though.

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 13:27 Quote
Has anyone fitted a 160 yoke/shock to their 140?

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 15:05 Quote
Jonnysnow wrote:

yes i have both

Posted: Feb 26, 2022 at 3:03 Quote
Compositepro wrote:
Jonnysnow wrote:

yes i have both

How did it work with the 160 yoke and shock fitted to the 140? Did the bottom bracket drop, go higher or stay the same?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032237
Mobile Version of Website