Specialized Status

PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Status
Posted: Mar 12, 2023 at 16:04 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I want one!

I'm 187cm, I seem to be in between S4 and S5 sizes.

My last bike was 2022 Commencal Meta AM size L and felt perfect, it had 642mm Stack, 495mm Reach, and 1285mm wheelbase. I really could go either way and probably be happy.

Any insight from da boys?

I'm 186cm on an S4 and prefer a 50mm stem. Feels perfect, think that an S5 would feel too big. I'm mostly riding flow trails with decent sized jumps though.

I've also ridden the 2021 meta am (pretty sure same geo as 22) and found that bike felt much larger than my S4 status and I wasn't into it.

So yeh, you could go either way, S4 for a bit more "playfulness" and S5 for something closer to the meta/stability.

Posted: Mar 14, 2023 at 20:52 Quote
Thanks for the info. I think S4 will be good for me, not at all too short.

I was considering some other bikes, like Rocky Mountain Slayer, but this bike is so much cheaper and more linear, with good spec.

I'm just afraid this bike will be a pig on the climbs. I had a 2019 Giant Reign & 2020 Commencal Clash I hated on the climbs. Switched to 2021 Meta AM and actually enjoyed climbing it. I don't want to go back to hating the climbs.

I'd buy another 2023 Meta AM, however they only have it for $2800 and the spec sucks. $2200 on the Status with much better spec. Hoping it rides as well in terms of geo and engineering.

I've heard some conflicting information on how this bike climbs. Some people say it's great, it climbs just as well as the Enduro (a bike I enjoy climbing on), and then others say it's a pig and terrible climbing. I'm wondering if some people early on got some shocks with faulty tunes out of the box, when the bike was first rolling out.

Posted: Mar 14, 2023 at 23:49 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Thanks for the info. I think S4 will be good for me, not at all too short.

I was considering some other bikes, like Rocky Mountain Slayer, but this bike is so much cheaper and more linear, with good spec.

I'm just afraid this bike will be a pig on the climbs. I had a 2019 Giant Reign & 2020 Commencal Clash I hated on the climbs. Switched to 2021 Meta AM and actually enjoyed climbing it. I don't want to go back to hating the climbs.

I'd buy another 2023 Meta AM, however they only have it for $2800 and the spec sucks. $2200 on the Status with much better spec. Hoping it rides as well in terms of geo and engineering.

I've heard some conflicting information on how this bike climbs. Some people say it's great, it climbs just as well as the Enduro (a bike I enjoy climbing on), and then others say it's a pig and terrible climbing. I'm wondering if some people early on got some shocks with faulty tunes out of the box, when the bike was first rolling out.

It climbs ok, not great but for what it is it climbs fine as long as you have your sag set correctly.

Posted: Mar 23, 2023 at 21:06 Quote
I test rode the S4 and S5 Status 140 around a parking lot. Sizing wise, I'm leaning heavily towards the S5 160 at 6'2"

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 12:43 Quote
Ditched the single speed, threw on the 7 speed and wheels from my dh bike
photo

Posted: Mar 29, 2023 at 13:43 Quote
Sick! I'm in the process of making a custom XX1 AXS DH derailleur setup for mine.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 9:26 Quote
are you gonna swap the cage or just set limits?
seraph wrote:
Sick! I'm in the process of making a custom XX1 AXS DH derailleur setup for mine.

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 9:33 Quote
How does the 160 and it’s stock components last a season in the bike park under a 220lb dude??

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 9:52 Quote
Uhlrichl1 wrote:
seraph wrote:

I swapped the cage from a GX DH derailleur. It shifts fine but I need to figure out which cassette it works best with.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 10:01 Quote
seraph wrote:
Uhlrichl1 wrote:
seraph wrote:

I swapped the cage from a GX DH derailleur. It shifts fine but I need to figure out which cassette it works best with.

makes me want to take my xx1 axs off the trail bike Cool

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 10:12 Quote
Uhlrichl1 wrote:
seraph wrote:
Uhlrichl1 wrote:

makes me want to take my xx1 axs off the trail bike Cool

Don't do it yet! Wait until I figure out what cassette it needs to function properly.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 12:05 Quote
New drivetrain setup on my slopeduro Status. 3T 9-32 cassette, 12-speed chain and derailleur body, 11-speed GX DH cage, 11-speed pulleys. B-gap is big but it shifts nicely.

New XX1 AXS DH chimera derailleur. Made out of an XX1 body and GX DH medium cage. The cassette is a 3T Bailout 9-32 11-speed made by E13 for 3T. The chain is a regular XX1 Eagle. Disclaimer SRAM probably doesn t want you to do this. Also it voids your warranty so don t complain to me or SRAM if this damages your derailleur cassette chain or bike.
New XX1 AXS DH chimera derailleur. Made out of an XX1 body and GX DH medium cage. The cassette is a 3T Bailout 9-32 11-speed made by E13 for 3T. The chain is a regular XX1 Eagle. Disclaimer SRAM probably doesn t want you to do this. Also it voids your warranty so don t complain to me or SRAM if this damages your derailleur cassette chain or bike.

Posted: Apr 8, 2023 at 19:03 Quote
Rode mine on trail for the first time today. Great bike, amazing for $2250. At 188cm the S5 is big, this is the longest bike I’ve ever owned.

Uphill this bike is much better than I expected. Not quite as efficient as a 2021 Enduro, but a slightly better pedaler than 2021 Commencal Meta AM. I will be able to ride this bike for long days, although it’s definitely not some sprightly trail bike.

Not at all in efficiency, but in weight feel it rides a lot lighter than it is, both uphill and down. Feels like 5 lbs lighter than listed weight. Idk why. Frame flex is neutral, front triangle has a little comfort built in, rear end and linkage feels fairly stiff.

Downhill it’s fun and nimble in the back, and business up front. Takes some getting used to the balance and split personality. Suspension feels more progressive than I expected, with better mid support than I’ve been reading. I might actually have to let some air out, even though I’m already lower than recommended. I’d like to try a coil shock, it feels progressive enough to me.

After the initial ride, I’d definitely prefer the current Commencal Meta AM and Specialized Enduro if I were racing or riding Northstar everyday. Those frames feel beefier and they ride more planted and steadfast, without being much more demanding. The Status 160 feels like a better all rounder, more like a giant trail bike. Lighter, poppier, better on flat terrain but also more twitchy. The S5 geo almost takes stability into the enduro race bike category though.

Status feels like how I wanted the Ripmo AF to feel. Ripmo was much better uphill, but Status is more fun and more stable downhill.

I need to work on set up a bit more with this bike. It feels more picky to setup than the Meta or Enduro. I really like the Status so far, but I think I’ll like it more with some setup time.

Posted: Apr 16, 2023 at 21:01 Quote
Sorry for the essay above.

Slammed the seatpost and I had a lot more confidence on weird angled drops going downhill. Totally changed the bike for me. I simply had the seatpost 1/2 to 3/4 inch to high, and slamming it was a night and day different in confidence descending.

Posted: Apr 29, 2023 at 15:23 Quote
Has anyone figured out what the standard hub is on these and if you can get xd or microspline freehubs? I'm looking at ditching the nx cassette for something else but cant seem to find any solid info on what the hub on these is.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014179
Mobile Version of Website