I'm looking for an aggressive AM bike. Suggestions?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
I'm looking for an aggressive AM bike. Suggestions?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 8, 2011 at 19:37 Quote
So I'm on the hunt for the "perfect" (note the quotes before you begin your lecture about there being no such thing as the perfect bike) aggressive AM bike. I wan't something I can trail ride with my girlfriend, yet if I want to join the guys up at the mountain's FR park, a bike that would be up to the task. I've narrowed down my search to (in the order of my interest) 1. Norco Shore 2. BMC trailfox 3. Giant Reign 4 GT Force 2.0 and finally, 5. Specialized Pitch. Does anyone have experience with any of these bikes or ideas for bikes I haven't thought of? And let me refine FR park. I no longer have my Stinky D, and am not looking for the bike to stand up to that level of abuse Smile Thanks for your input!

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 at 18:56 Quote
Isn't the Norco Shore more FR than AM? By that I mean, do they climb anywhere as well as the others you listed?

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 at 23:13 Quote
Oops, I meant the Range 3, not the Shore 3. You're right, the Shore is their FR bike, but heavier than I'm looking for.

Posted: Jul 9, 2011 at 23:53 Quote
I have about dozen rides on my 2011 Giant Reign 2 and I absolutely love it. Having that rear lock out is so nice, it gives the bike a split personality. It is well behaved on the ascent and savage on descent, which is what an AM bike is all about. The only other bike I tried on your list was the Specialized Pitch, also tried the Enduro. The reason I choose the Reign over the Enduro/Pitch was because I felt like the Maestro suspension was more efficient for climbing than the FSR and that Giant overall was better value for money. Good luck with your search!

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 17:45 Quote
Not sure about your budget but ever have a look at the SC Blur LT or Nomad? They'll take all the abuse you could ever throw at them.

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 18:04 Quote
Range/Enduro/Slayer.

All they are rad. I have an Enduro and I have friends with Ranges and Slayers. They all will get done what you want.

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 18:56 Quote
ibis mojo hd
best all mountain bike ever, carbon, affordable, pedals well, put rc4 and angle set in with 180 talas, put ti spring on to save weight, and you have super agressive light all mountain bike

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 19:05 Quote
WHISTLERMANIAC98 wrote:
ibis mojo hd
best all mountain bike ever, carbon, affordable, pedals well, put rc4 and angle set in with 180 talas, put ti spring on to save weight, and you have super agressive light all mountain bike

That would be a sweet bike to own no doubt, definitely considered it, but how can you call it affordable? The frame set alone is more expensive than my Giant Reign 2 was!

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 19:36 Quote
really 2000?
i guess its not that affordable, but still a pretty good price for what you get
nevermind, sorry, i will retreat back into my hole of nice bikes (a.k.a. my dads bikes, he has that exact same build and it is incredible)

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 20:38 Quote
WHISTLERMANIAC98 wrote:
really 2000?
i guess its not that affordable, but still a pretty good price for what you get
nevermind, sorry, i will retreat back into my hole of nice bikes (a.k.a. my dads bikes, he has that exact same build and it is incredible)
I was going off of list price on the manufacturers website $2400 for the Ibis Mojo HD frameset versus $2300 for the GIant Reign 2 complete. Like I said, I'd love to own a Mojo HD (I was drooling over one in for repair at the lbs the other day), but it's in a completely different league price wise.

To the OP:
Any closer to making a decision?

Posted: Jul 12, 2011 at 12:00 Quote
looking at your original bikes listed, why not the reign x?
more travel and better descending

Posted: Jul 12, 2011 at 19:45 Quote
Range is great for the money. The suspension improvements with ART is noticeable.

Posted: Jul 15, 2011 at 21:34 Quote
Id recommend the SC Nomad or the Ibis Mojo. I just got a Nomad and love it and my wife rides an Mojo SL but a HD would be better if you plan any free riding. They are affordable if you are willing to buy used and check pikebike buy/sell and Kijijji everyday or so. My wife got her's off a bike shop employee who upgrades every year. And I bought my Nomad of some 60 year old dude who bought it 3 years ago and never rode it.

Posted: Jul 17, 2011 at 20:15 Quote
Specialized Enduro, nuff said. Super awesome geometry for aggressive riding

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013885
Mobile Version of Website