Rebuilding/Swapping parts in argyle 409 and argyle r

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rebuilding/Swapping parts in argyle 409 and argyle r
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 12:48 Quote
i just bought a new frame that came with an argyle r and i was going to swap it out for my current argyle 409, but i ran into a problem when i noticed the steer tube on my 409 wasnt long enough for the new frame. i was wondering how easy it would be to swap the tops (steer tube crown and stantion)?

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 13:03 Quote
jekyll1000 wrote:
i just bought a new frame that came with an argyle r and i was going to swap it out for my current argyle 409, but i ran into a problem when i noticed the steer tube on my 409 wasnt long enough for the new frame. i was wondering how easy it would be to swap the tops (steer tube crown and stantion)?

The entire uppers are one piece so you can't exactly take them apart. Why don't you just take out the 409 internals and pop them into the argyle R? You can swap lowers if you want so it'll look like a 409 as well.

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 13:24 Quote
That's what I meant, I was including all that as one piece, I was wondering how difficult it would be to swap the entire uppers. Is it a like a full rebuild or is there an easy way to switch them?

Posted: Jul 11, 2011 at 13:57 Quote
I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Swapping JUST the uppers and leaving the internals in their original uppers = taking off the lowers of each fork and switch... super easy no rebuild necessary just remember to catch the fluid where it comes out of and put it back where it was.

Swapping internals will require a full rebuild.

If you're planning to do both then combine the 2.

rockshox has manuals on their websites on how to do all of it.

btw i'm not entirely sure if the new argyle R will be fully compatible with the argyle 409.

edit: using the argyle R internals i would think would be a downgrade compared to the 409 so best to switch lowers and internals so that you're using argyle R uppers, 409 internals and whichever lowers you want.

Posted: Jul 12, 2011 at 0:25 Quote
Yea I did some researching and it will require a full rebuild. And the 409 is definitely better, considering the 409 is practically the same as the rct and the r is equal to the 308. But thanks for your help

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009894
Mobile Version of Website