Making a bike girl friendly

PB Forum :: Girl's Clubhouse
Making a bike girl friendly
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 16, 2011 at 15:00 Quote
Hey Ladies,
I need advice on how to make a bike more comfortable and fun for my girlfriend. Shes about 5'2 and just started riding so I built up a hardtail jump frame for her to use. She is starting to get more serious (rides once a month) and I want to make the bike better for her. Shes away for a month so I want to make it a surprise.
I'm a shop mechanic so parts are easy to come by.
Obviously things like lighter wheels would be nice but I want advice on the small details (what seats do girls like, grips...)

the current spec:

small soul cycles loki frame
marzochi exr fork
lx hubs w/ rhyno lite rims
bb5 brakes
sram x5 8spd drivetrain
race face prodigy fr crank 32/24 w/ bashring
beat up wtb saddle
specialized 70mm stem and all mountain bar
odi ruffian grips
2.3 specialized eskar tires

Anybody have any good ideas? Do you girls with smaller hands like small grips or larger padded grips (oury?)
I'm thinking suspension seatpost?

Any help would be awesome!
Super grippy platform pedals or something super mellow?

Posted: Jul 28, 2011 at 11:14 Quote
I guess it really depends on the individual....I LOVE my danger boy peddles...they are pink, have a nice wide platform and spikes that really grip my shoe in place. I moved my break levers so they are easier to reach. I got myself a little squishier seat...my butt kills me after a cross country ride. Get her a seat post clamp that does not need a tool to adjust and in a color that she likes...

Posted: Jul 28, 2011 at 11:39 Quote
I dig my squishy Oury grips and a ladies-specific mtb seat is a good idea since we're a different shape down there Wink If she's going to be riding grippy pedals maybe throw in some of those wrap-around shinguards for the pedalbite. Smile

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 at 16:26 Quote
Super grippy flats and a pair of five tens Smile

If she has the "typical" girls body of long legs and short body then a shorter stem may be nice?

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 at 16:57 Quote
when I first read your ad I was wondering what the heck you meant by trying to make a bike girl, more friendly.

From what I've seen most bike girls have an great fun attitude to the sport and always seem to be open to conversation.

Except that little trail monster from the "Haters gonna hate" video - she seems to be the exception.

The seat, frame size and correct suspension set up is very important. Personal colours is a nice touch - but doesn't make the bike ride any better.

Make sure it's tuned right, suspension, smooth shifting, silent and efficient braking and with levers within shorter reach. Remember if you go with the larger grip which is easier on the palm pressure, the levers might be out of reach.

And most of all make sure that chain does not fall off. Keep it well trapped within the guides.

Posted: Aug 25, 2011 at 6:25 Quote
rieber wrote:
when I first read your ad I was wondering what the heck you meant by trying to make a bike girl, more friendly.

I had the same interpretation of your post. Is your girl new to mtn biking? Are you looking for a bike setup that she can learn how to ride more progressive trails.? If that is the case then a good fit and light weight bike is best. Adjustable seat post and good brakes are a plus. A light bike is easier to push than a heavy one. Take her on the easiest trails and session new features (roll over small logs, wide to narrow bridges, easy rock gardens etc) Ask her at the end of the ride what she liked and what she found difficult that way you can modify the bike and know what skills to work on.

I learned mtn biking from scratch on a FS (I appreciated the squish) and was able to ride on all XC and eventually dh over a short period of time. But I practiced practiced practiced. Most importantly, my husband was a very patient coach! If your girl is nervous or prone to falling then she would benefit from light knee and shin pads. I learned the hard way. I was always covered in bruises and cuts.

The other things like colours or woman's specific gear and components are based personal preference and you'll only know what the needs are through conversation and trial and error.

Posted: Nov 23, 2012 at 3:01 Quote
How is your girlfriend getting on with the dirt jump frame?

My girlfriend is looking at a new DJ frame with the intention of running it 1x10 to get into trail riding. And saving money by using most of my old kit. Is the DJ frame too long?

Tom

Posted: Nov 24, 2012 at 18:22 Quote
I might switch up the brakes and put on some hydraulics. I'm currently running the same Avid brakes on my Specialized P2, and I'm not terribly impressed. For someone getting into riding, I think its important to feel confident in your brakes. The other thing to consider, is how far are the levers from the handlebar? If you can adjust the levers, then adjust them so that they are closer to the bars.

As for the Oury grips, I found them to be too thick. I felt like I couldn't get a good grip on my bars because my hand just didn't feel big enough for them. I'm sure it's a personal preference though.

A short stem is a definite must. I'm 5'3" and I find a lot of bikes are just way too long when you get them stock.

If in the future, you ever want to switch up her frame, look for a frame with short chainstays so that it is easier to learn how to bunny hop and manual, which are essential skills for mountain biking.

Hope this helps! Its nice to hear more women getting into the sport.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010313
Mobile Version of Website