Freehub on a deetraks

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Freehub on a deetraks
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 1:19 Quote
Hello guys and gals, I need some help with my rear freehub on my Deetraks. I don't know what it is or what to get to replace it. Can anyone help here?

Views: 160    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Thats the state its in, is it definatly the freehub? Havent taken the cassette off yet coz my bro has it in his house... and i need to fix it fast because i have an uplift day this Saturday! Cheers in advance Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 8:59 Quote
looks like definite free hum issues, pull it off and check the condition of the pawls and springs and the teeth on the hub

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 10:30 Quote
my bro just brought over the tools and a rear hub set spare so I can see if I can nab from that...

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 13:05 Quote
Got the Casette off, now way confused on how to get this off! Tried pulling and getting the axle off, but nothing will move!

Freehub

What do i need to do? I got other pics in the album thats in.

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 14:15 Quote
looks like a 5mm allen wrench and a 17mm cone wrench maybe?

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 14:23 Quote
I cant get into the wrench bit... Is it the DT-Hugi freehub? Im looking around and they say its hard to get off and stuff...? What you guys think? My hands are wrecked from pulling so im guessing im missing something here.

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 16:42 Quote
It is not a DT freehub it's a mavic. Neither of which are especially hard to remove. The wrench flats require a special wrench called a "cone" wrench that is very slender. Typically the size needed is a 17mm but that a guess. I've serviced many Mavic freehubs, just not the Deetrax specifically or I'd be able to tell you for certain, sorry.
You just use the 5mm to hold the axle, then the 17 cone wrench to undo the lock nut/s. Once they're off the freehub slides right off. Will have at least two pawls (maybe three, from what I understand Mavic FINALLY caught up with the rest of the known world as uses three pawls sometimes) Your Pawls are either sticking....or they're broken. BTW DO NOT GREASE MAVIC FREEHUBS. They require mineral oil. You can use brake mineral oil in a pinch. So if it's just dirty, clean it out real well and oil the freehub.

Oh and DT are press fit so those you can pull off. This one is locked in place by that locknut. You can pull a DT off by hand but I use a punch and a hammer and lightly tap on the back of the cassette to remove those if they're being stubborn. You don't have to remove the cassette on a DT to service the star rachet. Onyx style freehubs you have to remove the cassette but not on any Star Ratchet style. Tanget done Smile

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 16:46 Quote
Okay, thank you! Big Grin But i cant get that stupid nut for the cone wrench... we have a cone wrench, but i cant get the nut and thats whats annoying me! Its just under the top edge of the freehub casing. Also the axle is spining free from the freehub, its not connected.

Freehub

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 18:42 Quote
Ohhh i Think I see what's going on. Is there a 5mm allen wrench recess on the other side? If so put two wrenches on and crack it loose. The axle tip may unthread and let that freehub loose. The black nut you leave untouched. Also what does the other side look like...that's the other part of the puzzle. Some Mavic Axles are two piece, unthread from each other and come apart easy...others are threaded and you take apart in a conventional manner. This looks like the bolt on portion is not threaded very far and just to bolt the wheel onto the frame and is seperate from the freehub. I though the steel cap on the end had the 17mm wrench flats.

The whole thing may unbolt from the otherside as well and just slide through the drive side. Let's see a picture of the non-drive side please.

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 22:03 Quote
bolt on deetraks I've never seen that before. I wonder if you gotta get that bolt on axel out then use an 8mm hex in the other side like their through axle wheels?

Posted: Jul 19, 2011 at 3:55 Quote
Took it all apart guys, turns out i was missing a pawl!! So theres only one pawl instead of two. Its a used wheel, but it looks like no one has been in it before, and when i say used i mean two rides then taken off kinda used Razz You think Mavic forgot to put one in? It's kind of impossible for it to fall out! Ive built it back up now and dug out the old Speciailzed wheel for the time being. Thanks for all the help guys! tup

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019928
Mobile Version of Website