Avid Elixir Brake Pad Pistons Won't Retract

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Avid Elixir Brake Pad Pistons Won't Retract
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 9:42 Quote
I have a 2010 Specialized Enduro with Avid Elixir R SL taper bore master cylinders and Avid Elixir calipers. These master cylinders don't have the contact point adjusters, (I don't think). I watched the video for changing the pads. I can't get one of the pistons to go all of the way back in when using a big screwdriver. One side goes in flush, but not the other. The one that won't go in rocks back and forth, so it doesn't appear to be corroded in place. With the old pads reinstalled, you can watch both pistons move when applying the brake. There isn't enough room for the rotor when I put in the new pads. I think I read somewhere that sometimes there is too much fluid in the system and that I might have to let some out to get the pistons to fully retract. Does this sound like a possibility? I'll get the bleed kit if this is something that I need to try.

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 13:20 Quote
Remove the caliper bleed port screw (T10 key) and then push the piston back into the caliper. Catch any fluid with a rag, wipe clean and install the new pads

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 13:52 Quote
Thanks, Will I need to bleed the system after doing this?

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 13:54 Quote
You shouldn't Smile As long as fluid is leaving and nothing changes that state (like hitting the brake lever) no air will go back in.

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 14:50 Quote
cdad-martinez wrote:
You shouldn't Smile As long as fluid is leaving and nothing changes that state (like hitting the brake lever) no air will go back in.

Thanks again. It worked. A five minute job that really only took five minutes.

FL
Posted: Sep 27, 2013 at 14:19 Quote
wow, that worked really well! thanks!

Posted: Dec 13, 2016 at 9:45 Quote
Something that was stressing me out for a while and that worked straight away ????????

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 10:17 Quote
I had the same problem and this fix worked perfectly! However, I only loosened the bleed port screw half a turn. Some fluid came out, but just a drop. Something to note. Brake fluid disolves paint. Luckily, my bike is titanium.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 23:58 Quote
cbear wrote:
Remove the caliper bleed port screw (T10 key) and then push the piston back into the caliper. Catch any fluid with a rag, wipe clean and install the new pads

Thanks a lot for this. Spent ages trying to separate the pads......this worked in 2 seconds

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007795
Mobile Version of Website