Trek scratch air 8 SNAPPED :(

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Trek scratch air 8 SNAPPED :(
Posted: Aug 13, 2013 at 14:32 Quote
JohnTSD wrote:
Broke my 3rd chain stay now. Users beware!

As long as you're the original owner, Trek will keep throwing swingarms your way for free.

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 5:34 Quote
Yea heard back from trek no more cjain stays for the scratches. So they are sending me a whole new frame which is nice, but doesn't resolve the fact that I have now broken 3 chain stays, one every year and the same fate will happen with the new frame. Great bike just wish they did something to correct the chain stay problem. There's nothing like riding a bike that you know at one point is going to fail. Hopefully I notice its failing before a catastrophic break like my 2nd chain stay that snapped clean through.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 5:36 Quote
You be sure to let us know when you break this one.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 6:36 Quote
JohnTSD wrote:
Yea heard back from trek no more cjain stays for the scratches. So they are sending me a whole new frame which is nice, but doesn't resolve the fact that I have now broken 3 chain stays, one every year and the same fate will happen with the new frame. Great bike just wish they did something to correct the chain stay problem. There's nothing like riding a bike that you know at one point is going to fail. Hopefully I notice its failing before a catastrophic break like my 2nd chain stay that snapped clean through.

I would sell that new frame the second you get it so you can get the most money out of it and then get an sb66 or something.

O+
Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 9:39 Quote
Yea I am thinking about selling the frame. Trek has to hate me at this point lol.

Posted: Aug 14, 2013 at 12:58 Quote
JohnTSD wrote:
Yea I am thinking about selling the frame. Trek has to hate me at this point lol.
It's a common issue that trek is dealing with. They don't hate you, they hate their project manager that "okayed" the frame for consumers like you.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 17, 2013 at 21:34 Quote
JohnTSD wrote:

What do you get this time? A slash?

Posted: Aug 18, 2013 at 3:06 Quote
JohnTSD wrote:

The scratch doesn't exist anymore, it was discontinued and replaced with the slash. They redesigned the areas with issues, haven't heard of any problems since.

O+
Posted: Aug 18, 2013 at 9:52 Quote
They gave me a new 2010 scratch 9 frame. I think they said it was the last one they had

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 18, 2013 at 13:34 Quote
JohnTSD wrote:
They gave me a new 2010 scratch 9 frame. I think they said it was the last one they had

Hey well if it's the last then in a couple of months we'll see you riding a sweet slash or remedy!

O+
Posted: Aug 19, 2013 at 4:30 Quote
Haha hopefully not. I like the scratch alot, but as long as I have something to ride I'm a happy camper.

Posted: Dec 11, 2013 at 8:19 Quote
http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/trek-scratch-cracked-chainstays-890165.html

Cracked 3 chainstays on my Scratches. Trek now has a new and improved chainstay similar to the Slash.

Posted: Dec 16, 2013 at 9:12 Quote
I have heard a lot about the rear section of a scratch snapping. Used to own one until I found that out. Can't risk it snapping from under me on a ride, too dangerous

Posted: Dec 16, 2013 at 17:47 Quote
if you own a sratch just enjoy it and dont worry about it exploding underneath you,sure it could happen but not likely.I had a cracked chainstay and Trek done me right ,just inspect your frame after your rides,you will likely see the paint flaking off around the crack.I punish mine at bikeparks,or better said I get close to full use out of it and is lots of fun

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 5, 2014 at 23:07 Quote
Was going to re-tape the drive side chainstay on my 2011 Scratch Air 8 tonight and noticed this Frown . Any idea if Trek's 3 year warranty on frames is from date or purchase or manufacture date? Hoping they take care of me with some comparable frame replacement:

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.042774
Mobile Version of Website