Best ways to adjust a bmx for a tall rider?

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Best ways to adjust a bmx for a tall rider?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 5, 2011 at 11:07 Quote
Im 6'5" and I have a 20.5" frame, any other tall riders got tips to make the bike more comfortable? I was planning on getting some bars with really high rise, but other than that and well getting a longer frame (which I don't have the money to do), are their any other things that can help? Bar angles or something, any one can recommend a good pair of high rise bars.

Posted: Aug 5, 2011 at 14:34 Quote
Get some s&m perfect tens 30wide and best of all they're 10high!!!! Much better for you then the 28 by 8s that most ride, also a stem with a bit of rise and some nice long cranks say 190mm rather then 180s hope this helps

Posted: Aug 5, 2011 at 15:32 Quote
patrickrider wrote:
Im 6'5" and I have a 20.5" frame, any other tall riders got tips to make the bike more comfortable? I was planning on getting some bars with really high rise, but other than that and well getting a longer frame (which I don't have the money to do), are their any other things that can help? Bar angles or something, any one can recommend a good pair of high rise bars.

i am 6''4 and i was riding a 20.75 which felt to small so i recently just got a 21.25 and feels much better. u could get s&m perfect 10 bars but i personally think they look stupid (but that should really matter its how it rides that should). i used to ride 9inch bars when i was riding the 20.75 and a cult salvation stem. that felt pretty good. or if u just want bars and want a high rise the Shadow Conspiracy Vultus Handlebars come in 8.5, 9 and 9.5. an r pretty light (but that don't matter). i ride ty high bars at the moment with a S&M lil redneck stem. but i might get new bigger bars and a longer stem. i prefer front loads. but the stem length could maybe make a difference.

Posted: Aug 5, 2011 at 22:54 Quote
10" seems too big imo, 9" bars at the most and a a top tube bigger than 21" maybe a topload stem

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 at 14:31 Quote
Really easy, Ill tell you what to do, first, you want to buy a topload stem, and put it backward, you put the stem upside down. Buy some big bars, S&M Perfect tens, They dont look stupid IMO, they are sick. All this will work perfectly for you and your bike will feel bigger, Ask Justin the mods, he did alot of thing to his bike because hes tall. His name on pinkbike is Justin99, send him a pm, here is his pinkbike page : http://justin99.pinkbike.com/

Posted: Aug 8, 2011 at 7:53 Quote
you just need a longer stem.

Posted: Aug 8, 2011 at 13:46 Quote
BikeFeeling wrote:
Really easy, Ill tell you what to do, first, you want to buy a topload stem, and put it backward, you put the stem upside down. Buy some big bars, S&M Perfect tens, They dont look stupid IMO, they are sick. All this will work perfectly for you and your bike will feel bigger, Ask Justin the mods, he did alot of thing to his bike because hes tall. His name on pinkbike is Justin99, send him a pm, here is his pinkbike page : http://justin99.pinkbike.com/
I'm not a mod, ha ha.

Options for taller riders:

Longer frame. I realize this isn't your first choice, but a 20.5" toptube is very short for someone 6'5". You might want to consider upgrading in the future to something with a 21.25" TT or bigger.

Longer stem. Profile makes the longest stem out there with a 60mm reach. The 40 is sort of a "drop stem" so you could flip it for some extra height. This would probably be the wisest first investment as you get more length and some more height. However, they aren't the greatest looking things but whatever. S&M also makes the Race XLT stem in a 57mm reach option. Only downfall is they don't give you much increased height for a topload.

Topload stem. If the Profile 40 doesn't float your boat, then you can always just run a standard topload for the extra height. There are quite a few options to choose from in the 53-54mm reach area.

Flipped frontload stem. Depending on the stem, you can get just as much height with a flipped frontload as you can with a regular topload. My flipped Shadow Attack and my Fit S3 topload give me practically the same amount of rise. Best thing about the flipped frontload option is you likely won't have to pay a thing, since I assume you're still running a frontload stem.

Taller bars. This is an obvious one and you're already on track with it. Just have to pick a rise.

Forks with a longer steerer tube. Most companies nowadays aren't manufacturing forks with steerer tubes much longer than flush. However, if you do some digging or can find something a couple years old, you may be in luck. Just throw the extra spacers in under your stem and you'll get some more height that way.

Posted: Aug 11, 2011 at 9:29 Quote
justin99 wrote:
BikeFeeling wrote:
I'm not a mod, ha ha.

Options for taller riders:

Longer frame. I realize this isn't your first choice, but a 20.5" toptube is very short for someone 6'5". You might want to consider upgrading in the future to something with a 21.25" TT or bigger.

Longer stem. Profile makes the longest stem out there with a 60mm reach. The 40 is sort of a "drop stem" so you could flip it for some extra height. This would probably be the wisest first investment as you get more length and some more height. However, they aren't the greatest looking things but whatever. S&M also makes the Race XLT stem in a 57mm reach option. Only downfall is they don't give you much increased height for a topload.

Topload stem. If the Profile 40 doesn't float your boat, then you can always just run a standard topload for the extra height. There are quite a few options to choose from in the 53-54mm reach area.

Flipped frontload stem. Depending on the stem, you can get just as much height with a flipped frontload as you can with a regular topload. My flipped Shadow Attack and my Fit S3 topload give me practically the same amount of rise. Best thing about the flipped frontload option is you likely won't have to pay a thing, since I assume you're still running a frontload stem.

Taller bars. This is an obvious one and you're already on track with it. Just have to pick a rise.

Forks with a longer steerer tube. Most companies nowadays aren't manufacturing forks with steerer tubes much longer than flush. However, if you do some digging or can find something a couple years old, you may be in luck. Just throw the extra spacers in under your stem and you'll get some more height that way.

if you want forks with a longers steerer tube try Odyssey, not the cheapest but its long, im about 6'4, i run a 21" frame, S&M race xlt and 8.25" rise bars and i feel fine like that, i woulnt mind a slightly longer frame though

Posted: Aug 11, 2011 at 11:22 Quote
put your bars forward a bit when i had a 20" top tube i put them forward a bit and it felt great and if that does not work bigger bars and longer stems will

Posted: Nov 12, 2012 at 18:50 Quote
seriously, check out these links:

pay particular attention to the haters having to chill the f*ck out and eat their words:

22 inches
http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171835

22 inches of Love - it feels just right
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f61/22-inches-love-feels-just-right-237841/

A question about 22" bikes
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=374461

S&M fans, who's gonna buy the new 22" Holmes?
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=451009

Posted: Nov 14, 2012 at 8:51 Quote
SNAP makes a 65 MM stem as does SX, BOMBSHELL forks have about the longest (that I've seen) steer tube. BADD and CO makes a stock XXXL 20 frame with a 23' TT. I'm 6'4 and found these work for me.

Posted: Nov 15, 2012 at 10:08 Quote
As far as forks with nice long steer tubes, Macneil CKS forks, I run them in chrome and they are DOPE

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015163
Mobile Version of Website