TORONTO - New Dirt Jumps/Skills Track Coming Soon? - Need YOUR Help!

PB Forum :: Canada - East
TORONTO - New Dirt Jumps/Skills Track Coming Soon? - Need YOUR Help!
Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 5:01 Quote
JacquelineHoman wrote:
How do you know for sure that this will be built in High Park? Last I heard, there was a majority opposition among the board members of the High Park Resources Group to this idea which was just broached this past Wednesday evening. Also, has the city looked at other parks equally convenient for the BMX community that also would offer the same sorts of challenges (freestyle natural environment/obstacle biking)? If I'm not mistaken, someone mentioned at Wednesday's meeting that a man from the Humber Bay area was trying to get a BMX facility there in a wooded area near the Humber River and he was working with the BMX community and the city to try to get that to materialize.

The reason I am asking this is because I am aware that any BMX park put anywhere in High Park will provoke one hell of a conflict with the Native community because there are unresolved issues concerning ancient burial mounds there throughout High Park. So this would be potentially pissing on one hell of a a huge hornet's nest.

While questions may remain, the important thing with this meeting is that they're having it, and asking people to come out and show support. I've heard through some contacts that DMBA, IMBA, and City of Toronto Trails see this is a potentially huge turning point in trail access, and bike parks in the area. To quote some of them:

"In speaking with our city contact, it was suggested that we get a letter writing campaign going. So here are some points:

- the mountain biking and bmx community needs a high quality skills development facility in High Park to replace that which was lost
- such a facility should be designed for all off road cyclists, from toddlers on run-bikes to skilled adults
- the cycling community will work together to maintain the skills park

If you can't attend on the 19th or even if you can please put a note together to support this initiative. Send the note to trails@toronto.ca, the local Councillor Sarah Doucette at councillor_doucette@toronto.ca and your local Councillor."

"*NOTE* I was told by Scott that it is absolutely mandatory for us to show up in numbers, that means even you if think you'll never use it, we still need you to come and show your face. I wish signatures could show them that we can stand behind projects like these, they've seen them, now they want to see that we can come together as community and voice what we want/need in person"

I'm from Pickering. It's not easy for me to get to High Park with my bike, but I'm planning to go to the meeting.

If you can find a way to get to the meeting, please do it. There's potentially a lot more at stake than a skills park in High Park.

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 15:18 Quote
nickboers wrote:
JacquelineHoman wrote:
How do you know for sure that this will be built in High Park? Last I heard, there was a majority opposition among the board members of the High Park Resources Group to this idea which was just broached this past Wednesday evening. Also, has the city looked at other parks equally convenient for the BMX community that also would offer the same sorts of challenges (freestyle natural environment/obstacle biking)? If I'm not mistaken, someone mentioned at Wednesday's meeting that a man from the Humber Bay area was trying to get a BMX facility there in a wooded area near the Humber River and he was working with the BMX community and the city to try to get that to materialize.

The reason I am asking this is because I am aware that any BMX park put anywhere in High Park will provoke one hell of a conflict with the Native community because there are unresolved issues concerning ancient burial mounds there throughout High Park. So this would be potentially pissing on one hell of a a huge hornet's nest.

While questions may remain, the important thing with this meeting is that they're having it, and asking people to come out and show support. I've heard through some contacts that DMBA, IMBA, and City of Toronto Trails see this is a potentially huge turning point in trail access, and bike parks in the area. To quote some of them:

"In speaking with our city contact, it was suggested that we get a letter writing campaign going. So here are some points:

- the mountain biking and bmx community needs a high quality skills development facility in High Park to replace that which was lost
- such a facility should be designed for all off road cyclists, from toddlers on run-bikes to skilled adults
- the cycling community will work together to maintain the skills park

If you can't attend on the 19th or even if you can please put a note together to support this initiative. Send the note to trails@toronto.ca, the local Councillor Sarah Doucette at councillor_doucette@toronto.ca and your local Councillor."

"*NOTE* I was told by Scott that it is absolutely mandatory for us to show up in numbers, that means even you if think you'll never use it, we still need you to come and show your face. I wish signatures could show them that we can stand behind projects like these, they've seen them, now they want to see that we can come together as community and voice what we want/need in person"

I'm from Pickering. It's not easy for me to get to High Park with my bike, but I'm planning to go to the meeting.

If you can find a way to get to the meeting, please do it. There's potentially a lot more at stake than a skills park in High Park.
Fantastic post. I couldnt agree more, thanks for posting the quotes!

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 15:54 Quote
nickboers wrote:
I was told by Scott that it is absolutely mandatory for us to show up in numbers, that means even you if think you'll never use it, we still need you to come and show your face. I wish signatures could show them that we can stand behind projects like these, they've seen them, now they want to see that we can come together as community and voice what we want/need in person"

Just wanted to keep this in bold.

Posted: Oct 15, 2011 at 11:19 Quote
Hello again Mountain Bikers and BMXers,

This is a reminder that on Wednesday, October 19th from 6:00-8:30pm, at the Rousseau Room, Swansea Town Hall, you are invited by Jay Hoots to participate in the design of a new community bike park to replace the one that was recently removed in High Park.

Jay would like to have your input on what type of bike park features and amenities you would like to see in the area to meet the needs of the off-road cycling community.

This is the first phase of our public engagement process and there will additional opportunities for local stakeholders and the general public to comment on the new bike park design and location in the near future.

See you on the 19th.

Natural Environment Trails Program

www.toronto.ca/trails

Please everyone, get friends together and come to show your support! Just 4 days away! Hope to see many of you out there!

Posted: Oct 18, 2011 at 15:08 Quote
Just another reminder that the meeting is TOMORROW @ 6pm at the Rousseau Room of Swansea Town Hall.

PLEASE show up and show your support!

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 at 18:55 Quote
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who showed up and showed support! The meeting went great, and it was great to see everyone come together and start the design process!

There will be more meetings in the near future where an exact location will be decided. I will continue to update the thread and keep everyone up to date.

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 at 20:47 Quote
Thanks to all who showed up. I think it was a productive meeting overall. Though everyone had great suggestions, I was particularly impressed by the maturity and progressive nature of the suggestions made by the youngest table in the room. Their concerns about the use of the old DJ site by people drinking and/or using drugs because it was a convenient secluded site that was tucked away in a corner was very insightful, and could be a major issue to help promote this in an accessible location. I was also happy to see that when the various tables shared their comments, the predominantly aboriginal table had some useful things to say. Sometimes we forget that sometimes we crash, and sometimes it's bad. Some form of first aid would be a good thing.

When Tim asked for water filled pits between the double jumps, inhabited by alligators, and Jay said something like "we stopped doing that in the 90's, it's not cool anymore" I got a good laugh. Big Grin He's a cool guy.

Posted: Oct 20, 2011 at 14:56 Quote
Ajmckerihen wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who showed up and showed support! The meeting went great, and it was great to see everyone come together and start the design process!

There will be more meetings in the near future where an exact location will be decided. I will continue to update the thread and keep everyone up to date.

thanks man

Posted: Dec 6, 2011 at 19:35 Quote
so i just seen this, and was wondering if anyone knows if this is actually gonnna happen? cuz id be more then willing to help build!

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 18:14 Quote
when would the build start because i really want to find a spot in the gta good for dirt jumping

Posted: Dec 18, 2011 at 18:58 Quote
I haven't heard anything for a couple months, but as soon as I get an update I'll be sure to post and let everyone know!

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 at 8:06 Quote
has anyone heard anything about this thing actually happening

Posted: Mar 24, 2012 at 12:26 Quote
Its still expected to happen. I'm still in touch with Scott. I will post as soon as I know something.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 12:17 Quote
Got some great news today!

The City of Toronto has commissioned Jay Hoots, the most experienced bike park designer in North America, to design a new bike park that will run parallel to the north side of Lakeshore Boulevard between Colborne Lodge Road and Ellis Avenue in the western beaches.

The park has been designed to offer progressively difficult challenges and opportunities for off-road cycling skill building. It includes: a skills trail, pumptracks, a wide variety of jump lines and a large drop and wall ride. Amenities such as benches, picnic tables, drinking fountains and family areas have been planned to make the park an ideal destination for families and people who have yet to try off-road cycling.

The new bike park will address the lack of off-road cycling venues in the west end of the city. It is hoped that it will reduce or eliminate informal parks being created in ecologically sensitive areas in the High Park neighbourhood. The project is a concrete example of Park, Forestry and Recreation's work with the off-road cycling community to protect the natural environment and trails system.

PFR staff will be working with all relevant stakeholders to develop a detailed design package for construction which is scheduled for Fall 2012.

Please join us for a public open house displaying the concepts for the park that will be held on Thursday June 21st 6:30-8:30pm at 3 Ellis Avenue (Lakeshore and Ellis)

For more information:

Email trails@toronto.ca or call 311.

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 14:44 Quote
What else has Jay Hoots designed? Not being rude, just curious if anybody knows.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012058
Mobile Version of Website