Rock Shox vivid oil leak !

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rock Shox vivid oil leak !
Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 13, 2011 at 6:26 Quote
Hi, I have a Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 and I have an oil leak with bubbles when I try to screw the "Ending Stroke Rebound" why is that???

Posted: Oct 2, 2011 at 10:42 Quote
gladiax87 wrote:
Hi, I have a Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 and I have an oil leak with bubbles when I try to screw the "Ending Stroke Rebound" why is that???

I had something similar today. Did you ever figure out whats up?

Posted: Oct 2, 2011 at 13:34 Quote
The bike shop told me I have to send back for a service because the rebound nidle has a problem

Posted: Oct 2, 2011 at 19:38 Quote
Ok really? Not much oil came out and it still rode nice today. Maybe i"ll wait and see if it gets worse. Thanks

Posted: Oct 3, 2011 at 3:58 Quote
ok , but I think you should go for a Fox DHX I have changed because the vivid it's not very sensible with the regulation .

Posted: Oct 3, 2011 at 12:03 Quote
gladiax87 wrote:
ok , but I think you should go for a Fox DHX I have changed because the vivid it's not very sensible with the regulation .

I disagree, the Vivid on my Nomad is a much better ride than the Fox DHX Air that I had before. Personal preference aside, there is alot of literature supporting this. So far only a little red oil is leaking when I turn with the hex. I'm not too concerned about it just yet. Did Rock Shox repair it for you or give you a new one?

Posted: Oct 3, 2011 at 13:29 Quote
I dont know what will going to happen because I have sold the entire bike to the shop and I have bought a Banshee Rune with dhx 5 coil , I think they will repair sending to rock shox and then sell the bike

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 4:37 Quote
not every shock is for evry frame. some fabricants design frames with an cetain ratio or leverage. so in some frames a fox is better and in some frames a RS (god knows who would make a frame just for rockshox)

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 17:29 Quote
[Quote= (god knows who would make a frame just for rockshox)[/Quote]

Not sure if sarcastic. Ever heard of this little company out of California that builds this weird DH bike? http://www.santacruzmtb.com/v10_carbon/

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 3:12 Quote
yeah yeah i know. i dont have good any experience with rock shox. it always disapoints me. and the 2012 vivid is a hiddious thing. maybe it preforms ok but i would'nt buy for the world. is the v10 just for RS?

Posted: Oct 6, 2011 at 16:02 Quote
No, I think you can build anything you want on a V10. Just a SRAM partnership or something.

As for the fluid leak, it's all gone, must have been too much from factory.

Posted: Oct 7, 2011 at 0:23 Quote
ohw that good for you, it sucks, buying something new and after a day or two is fails or starts to break up. been there

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 2:10 Quote
If you where going with to much fluid or less is any way impossible if you are running with the right SAG and specially when the shock is mounted on a AM bike . Rock shox look's good just because Sam Hill or Danny Hurt use those shoks, but you have to think that they change shock every session and they use a special versions made for their riding style what we get is not that quality . Many bike brand use them because the SRAM brand is very cheap so you have more probability to sell the bike because the components are cheap .

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 15:04 Quote
the reason that vivid didn't work so good compared to the dhx is most likely that it was tuned for a different leverage. sram sells the vivid with 3 tune starter settings: a,b and c. theese stand for low leverage, medium leverage and big leverage. in this case the shock's shim stack differ, and that makes all the difference. tf tuned offers kits for rock shox, fox and i believe cane creek db.

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 15:16 Quote
hurtinunit wrote:
gladiax87 wrote:

I had something similar today. Did you ever figure out whats up?

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago and was told that you often get a small amout of spare/excess oil in the adjusters during factory assembly and not to worry unless it continues to leak.

There were no more leaks and the shock was great.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007287
Mobile Version of Website