Protection with or without

PB Forum :: Downhill
Protection with or without
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 17:42 Quote
not a pretty pictureMad

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 4:31 Quote
chasefreeride37 wrote:
I regret last time I didn't use protection. I ended up with a son.

That just happened to me, don't regret it a bit.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 6:58 Quote
I really can't get why to not use body armour, for u who says that u become restricted by them u haven't tested out which one fits u best. Because with mine (Brand-X X Suit) I don't feel restricted at all, the first time u test it of course u feel it's there but it doesn't restrict me at all! I suggest u to test every body armour u can and then I'm pretty sure u will find one who doesn't restrict you.

And the body armour i use costs 104 USD, that's a cost that most of u DH guys can afford! (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7088 and watch the rewiews of it, there are more guys then me that loves them).

I love biking too much to not be able to bike for a day/week because of some damn pain or injury that u wouldn't have got with armour, don't you?

But I know it's everyones desicion to use it or not but I don't get those guys that say the armour restricts them because there are so many different armours or whatever out there that some of them u won't even notice u wear. I've tested armours I feel really restricted in but the one I wear now are great.

I wear protection shorts (love them because I always hit my hips when i crasch), armour, leg, FF helmet, gloves when I ride DH and I never feels that they restricts me in any way they are a pure benefit to me because I feel that comfortable wearing them and I dare to ride much more aggressive with them because it very rarely hurts crashing which helps me develop.

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 7:02 Quote
well i wear a helment 100% of the time and my sixsixone leg pads under my jeans 100% of the time. When i go to downhill or freeride and wear full body armour

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 7:13 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
Interesting psyhcological thing...the less amour I wear the less I crash (frequency, not intensity) It's like my brain know that it cannot afford to crash.

Of course your brain makes you unconsciously or/and consciously ride less aggressive when riding with less protection.

It's called "instinct of self-preservation". Everyone has it if your not drunk, alcoholic, high on drugs or really depressed.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 9:31 Quote
people are saying that body armor restrict them and they're saying it makes them go faster with out second thought because of the added safety. i don't know about you, but i don't think that's very restrictive if you go faster with it. Confused
also, seriously, how much do you guys move your bodies when your're dhing, you must look hilarious when you race. even when i'm djing i don't find it restrictive(i'm doing nfc's nothings; stuff like that). i don't wear it for djing anymore , but it's definitly not as bad as you guys think it is.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 11:50 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
chasefreeride37 wrote:

Yea I was just being stupid lol

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 12:05 Quote
alright i have body armor and i wear it all the time. but to start off, i always wear knee shin guards and a helmet. but i dont wear my body suit unless i am trying new stuff or downhilling, i think that it is stupid to go crazy and not have the correct protection. it shouldnt give people a false sense of security because if u r going to do a 20 foot drop it wont stop broken bones. i mean it will just keep all the limbs together so that the parametics can put u back together. body armour really is for falling and to stop chest punctures and scraps and scratches. But i definitly think that if u r tryin to stop getting cup up or brused that it is deffinitly the way to go. i waer the sixsixone pressure suit and it feels and works great!!
photo

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 12:48 Quote
jooocke wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
Interesting psyhcological thing...the less amour I wear the less I crash (frequency, not intensity) It's like my brain know that it cannot afford to crash.

Of course your brain makes you unconsciously or/and consciously ride less aggressive when riding with less protection.

It's called "instinct of self-preservation". Everyone has it if your not drunk, alcoholic, high on drugs or really depressed.

Well I will tell you two things three things...

1. I know alot more then you ever will about how the brain works with reguards to riding a bike. When it comes to riding a bike...instinct and self-presevation, there is a more technical term but I will use yours, can get you killed. Not going to explain anymore then that.

2. To buy armour based on fit in the store is stooopid...but what other choice to you have, it's not like you can take it for a test drive, so-to-speak. So we buy it and sometimes it is a little restrictive in certain situations. Take for example my forearms...they are likely bigger then your biceps...my Diannesse 3/4 suit fits great till I ride and get arm pump then the tightness in the arms can accentuate the arm pump leading to issues with grip. I have found ways to deal with this and it is just a fact of life for me. Otherwise I love my suit...when I use it.

3. I have hammered out my fastest times ever on courses without armour...Also note that I have done my own tests on the same track and compared armour to not armour and the times are consistantly faster with less armour...I usually use a light vest now.

I don't disagree with all you have to say...but don't come off so pretentious, or I will school youSmile

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 12:49 Quote
chasefreeride37 wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
chasefreeride37 wrote:

Yea I was just being stupid lol

not stupid...just funny.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 8:07 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
jooocke wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:

1. I know alot more then you ever will about how the brain works with reguards to riding a bike. When it comes to riding a bike...instinct and self-presevation, there is a more technical term but I will use yours, can get you killed. Not going to explain anymore then that.

2. To buy armour based on fit in the store is stooopid...but what other choice to you have, it's not like you can take it for a test drive, so-to-speak. So we buy it and sometimes it is a little restrictive in certain situations. Take for example my forearms...they are likely bigger then your biceps...my Diannesse 3/4 suit fits great till I ride and get arm pump then the tightness in the arms can accentuate the arm pump leading to issues with grip. I have found ways to deal with this and it is just a fact of life for me. Otherwise I love my suit...when I use it.

3. I have hammered out my fastest times ever on courses without armour...Also note that I have done my own tests on the same track and compared armour to not armour and the times are consistantly faster with less armour...I usually use a light vest now.

I don't disagree with all you have to say...but don't come off so pretentious, or I will school youSmile

1. Of course, everything can get u killed, but I believes that "instinct of self-preservation" saves u more times then it kills u.

2. To buy armour based on fit in the store is the best way to see which one fits u best. Because as u say u most often can't take it out for a ride to test it. It ain't stopid, I say it's the best way.
And most often u can make the armour fit u better by manipulate it yourself, with longer/shorter straps and so on, but i don't know if it works for u but i didn't wrote that post to you only! Of course there are exceptions, but i think for most of the guys that say that body armor restricts them, when they get use to have it (after 2-3 days) and they find the best fitting armour it will not restrict them, my opinion!

3. Okey, i say the same thing as above "Of course there are exceptions..."

O+
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 8:46 Quote
jooocke wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
jooocke wrote:

1. Of course, everything can get u killed, but I believes that "instinct of self-preservation" saves u more times then it kills u.

2. To buy armour based on fit in the store is the best way to see which one fits u best. Because as u say u most often can't take it out for a ride to test it. It ain't stopid, I say it's the best way.
And most often u can make the armour fit u better by manipulate it yourself, with longer/shorter straps and so on, but i don't know if it works for u but i didn't wrote that post to you only! Of course there are exceptions, but i think for most of the guys that say that body armor restricts them, when they get use to have it (after 2-3 days) and they find the best fitting armour it will not restrict them, my opinion!

3. Okey, i say the same thing as above "Of course there are exceptions..."

Your wrong about the "servivial Instinct" and thats a scientific fact.

The rest is an opinion and personal preference and I accept it.

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 19:20 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:

You're telling me that survival instinct kills more people than it saves? I believe you're thinking of airbags, and you're still wrong.

O+
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 19:28 Quote
aniyn wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:

You're telling me that survival instinct kills more people than it saves? I believe you're thinking of airbags, and you're still wrong.

Answer this then. When was the bike invented... and how long have humans had survival insiticts...

Or if your so smart you explain to me how survival instincts work, because deceiding not to do something because it is dangerous is not a survival instinct. It is a concious choice...survival instincts are not concious choices and you have no control over them....Therefore in certain situations they could kill you.

So really, if either of you THINK you know as much as you think you do...educate me then.

BTW I didn't say it kills more people then it saves. If your going to quote me have the respect to be accurate

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.038547
Mobile Version of Website