Rear Shock To Larger Rear Shock

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Rear Shock To Larger Rear Shock
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 23:26 Quote
hey, i have an 03 norco vps drop with a fox vanilla 350# 2 50 or something like that on it for the rear spring, in my last thread, i was trying to figure out y i kept bottoming out, turns out the bike shop i took it to forgot to check something (stupid people, never takin it there again) and there was something wrong, something like something was cracked or something, anyhow i wana check again to see if i can put a longer shock to increase travel and if not if you could explain y, thanks

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 23:33 Quote
come on, nobody can explain y?

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 23:38 Quote
Sometimes you can fit a longer shock in, but it destroys your bikes geometry, and it will feel terrible.

Most of the time, you can't fit a bigger shock in at all, because of the way the frames designed.

You can increase the stroke, which increases the travel, but only if your shock is one that comes in various strokes. For example, a 7.875" shock comes in 2" and 2.25" stroke options. Switching to a 2.25" stroke increases the travel of said frame.

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 23:39 Quote
no you cant, If you try put in a longer shock 1 of 2 things will happen

a) the shock won't fit

b) the shock will hyper extend your rear end, completely screwing your geometry and probably your bike.

and you'll void the warranty

and look like a dumbass

don't try it

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 23:40 Quote
If you're bottoming out, the first things you should do are;

1) find out if your shock needs to be rebuilt
2) put a firmer spring in. 350lb's is a rather light spring.

If that doesn't work, try a new shock. An air shock would save some weight, as well as provide greater control of the "spring" rate, as you can adjust it via air pressure.

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 22:24 Quote
getafully wrote:
no you cant, If you try put in a longer shock 1 of 2 things will happen

a) the shock won't fit

b) the shock will hyper extend your rear end, completely screwing your geometry and probably your bike.

and you'll void the warranty

and look like a dumbass

don't try it

well i dont have a warranty Razz lol i just need more travel basically, is there anyway possibly to get that without completly buying a new bike?

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 22:50 Quote
'fraid not buddy.

Unless you can somehow machine your frame at a metalworking shop

but I would advise strongly against that.

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 22:55 Quote
I told you this in your last thread :-) It is USUALLY dangerous to put too long a shock on your bike. Your tire could jam under the seat, theres countless other reasons too :-) dont do it. Just buy another shock of th same size, and set it up right :-)

Posted: Dec 16, 2007 at 23:56 Quote
k wait i got pics of my bike in my documents, how to i put them on here to?

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 0:12 Quote
Can somebody plz tell me how to post pictures that are in your documents?

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 0:17 Quote
go to your profile, then click photos, then click upload photos, and keep doing what it tells you to

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 0:18 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
go to your profile, then click photos, then click upload photos, and keep doing what it tells you to

aight cool, i can put pics of my bike then and you guys can evauluate whether or not i can get a bigger shock =]

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 0:21 Quote
dont need pics. the answer is already no :-)

this is not something that can be done by looking

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 0:28 Quote
still, when im riding it sorta feels like im always slanted backwards
photo

Posted: Dec 17, 2007 at 0:43 Quote
That's just the way the bike's designed.
You can't get a larger shock. Just upgrade to a better performing one.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010819
Mobile Version of Website