Steerer tube too short?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Steerer tube too short?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 13:09 Quote
Hey, On my buds Santa Cruz vp3 the steerer tube is just under the upper crown top surface by 1.5mm could this be a problem , because I see the pressure going mainly to the bearings ?

Too Short

Cheers
Ben

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 13:16 Quote
that's the perfect length, if not a tad too long (chuck a 2.5mm spacer on top of the stem beneath the compression nut in my opinion)

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 4:44 Quote
Nah no need of a spacer, this is just right.

I'd say the limit is either if you have a normal stem to have all the bolts on the steerer, or about 4mm max

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 7:17 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Nah no need of a spacer, this is just right.

I'd say the limit is either if you have a normal stem to have all the bolts on the steerer, or about 4mm max

it depends if the headset bearings are seated, if not they could slip down a bit, that was why i said to use a spacer, still, there is nothing for him to worry about really

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 7:20 Quote
Ah true, hadn't thought of that ... Well if you have one laying around yea (or even a 1mm one), otherwise, just tighten it and go riiiide Razz

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 7:31 Quote
Yeah you want it to be 3-4mm below the top of the stem/any spacer you use.

Posted: May 18, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
Really this is pretty much a death sentence my guy... not enough surface area in the crown/stem like this and the steer tube can deform pretty easy. Always have at least 2-3mm of extra tube coming out of the top, unless you’re alright with a very possible snapping at the top here. With hems that have the machines out space inside of the clamp area it’s real easy for the steer to get a little bit of wiggle room and ovalize inside of there. Best to have the steer fully grabbed by the pinch bolts or in a DC fork to have it come out of the crown just a hair. Trust me, I know it looks badass but you don’t want to be booking it through some rocks or land a big ole sender then have your bars rip off in hand wheels the rest of your bike keeps rolling forward from under you! Best of luck, even if the thread is years old here haha

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 12:47 Quote
E-Morrisson wrote:
Really this is pretty much a death sentence my guy... not enough surface area in the crown/stem like this and the steer tube can deform pretty easy. Always have at least 2-3mm of extra tube coming out of the top, unless you’re alright with a very possible snapping at the top here. With hems that have the machines out space inside of the clamp area it’s real easy for the steer to get a little bit of wiggle room and ovalize inside of there. Best to have the steer fully grabbed by the pinch bolts or in a DC fork to have it come out of the crown just a hair. Trust me, I know it looks badass but you don’t want to be booking it through some rocks or land a big ole sender then have your bars rip off in hand wheels the rest of your bike keeps rolling forward from under you! Best of luck, even if the thread is years old here haha

Dunno how you come across this post, but you are right!

Don't think the two previous guys picked up on it being dual crown.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017624
Mobile Version of Website