Which bike? - For AM and DH

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Which bike? - For AM and DH
Previous Page |
Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 8:58 Quote
Hi,

im sure people hate 'which bike' threads but im quite torn and seeking some advice from more knowledgable heads.

I started riding about 3 months ago, i bought a second hand hardtail and ride mainly downhill, at pedal-a-bike-away nr coleford in FOD. I do some XC/trails aswell but the bike hates it!! Not that it loves the downhill but its fun Smile
I currently have a Specialized P3 2004 hardtail with a Marzocchi 44RLO 140mm fork on it and a few other aftermarket bits.

Now im noticing alot of sales on bikes so am seriously considering abusing my companies cycle to work scheme and buying a new full sus bike. Ive discovered that the type of riding i like would be referred to as all mountain.i.e.

I like riding downhilll the most i think, but i also enjoy trails and want a bike capable of riding blue/red trails and also going on 20+ mile XC rides. I guess what i want is an aggressive trail bike.

I have been looking at alot of bikes and here are the ones im interested in:

Specialized Pitch FSR:
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/specializedpitchfsrcompmountainbike2011-sale.aspx?&id=14818

Ideally i would get the comp but i cant seem to find that anywhere in my size on offer.

Scott Ransom 20:
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/scottransom20mountainbike2009-sale.aspx?&id=9320

Lapierre Zesty:
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/lapierrezesty214allmountainbike2011-sale.aspx?&id=15422

I also REALLY like the Canyon Nerve 6.0 but i dont think ill be able to get that with the cycle to work scheme.

Im open to any suggestions and would be really interested to hear peoples advice on these bikes.

Thank you.

chris

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 9:02 Quote
I'd say you can't go too wrong with the Specialized Pitch, though I'd fork out and get the Pro if you want it to stand some abuse, the Comp might not be up for the job.

Linky

Pretty good spec for the money too!

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 9:43 Quote
I was same about a year ago Chris so I got a pitch pro but without the option of the ride to work scheme so I had to pay full price. Frown but its worth it they soak up everything going down hill and can be solid going up hill. I love mine, but if you get one make sure u get them to throw in some pedals fu*kin plastic toe straps cost me my collar bone and six months off work.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 10:15 Quote
Evans only have it in small or large so not sure if that will be OK, what size is yours as you look same size as me

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 10:22 Quote
whitey161 wrote:
Evans only have it in small or large so not sure if that will be OK, what size is yours as you look same size as me
Got mine from Evans and its a medium. they did make a fuss about getting it in tho.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 10:29 Quote
Hate to bring bad news but I doubt you will get any of those on the cycle scheme.
Firstly the max amount is £1000 and in theory you are not allowed to pay any difference to go above that, though some shops will allow a small difference to be paid.

Second problem is that shops will only sell bikes to scheme certificates at full retail price and not sale price.
That was my experience anyway, I hope I'm wrong and you get it sorted.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 10:38 Quote
Aye my mate got. His from a shop and they let him add the extra himself. Plus Evans don't have it on sale. But I know I may encounter problems

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 10:41 Quote
Ye, I think the problem is ownership of the bike as essentially the bike belongs to the scheme provider. If you pay hard cash it can be a problem with that.

I payed 200 extra on my rockhopper pro but they weren't keen and I doubt I'd of got away with more.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 10:59 Quote
Keep your current bike and buy a dh bike.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 11:37 Quote
Its much easier to buy an AM bike, seeing that he wants an AM bike, and your average DH bike is around £2500, a Specialized Pitch Pro will do him fine and thats £1750.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 11:50 Quote
OTehNoes wrote:
Its much easier to buy an AM bike, seeing that he wants an AM bike, and your average DH bike is around £2500, a Specialized Pitch Pro will do him fine and thats £1750.

Makes no sense when he wants to dh and already has a bike,wait for a status as they are gonna be cheap.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 12:35 Quote
marquis wrote:
OTehNoes wrote:

Makes no sense when he wants to dh and already has a bike,wait for a status as they are gonna be cheap.

But not everyone's got the room for 2 bikes that's why I got rid of my hardtail.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 13:25 Quote
What R14NLE said, and the guy said he wants an AM bike.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 15:49 Quote
Ah good point,in that case get the zesty.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 20:31 Quote
I might seem biased because I own one but a good do-it-all AM/FR/DH bike is the Banshee Rune also. I did about 8 months of research and after reading a lot of solid reviews I ended up going with the Rune and haven't been disappointed. Its a very strong, stiff, simple in design, pedals well, and its an AM frame that is still affordable. I have also read good things about the Giant Reign series and the Santa Cruz Nomad as well. I'm not saying the Rune is the greatest bike because I have one but I feel its worth telling people to look into.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006096
Mobile Version of Website