MY GUIDE: Bike Security (Copyright ©)

PB Forum :: Beginners
MY GUIDE: Bike Security (Copyright ©)
Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 15:16 Quote
I see. I might get one for Xmas or something. tup

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 15:19 Quote
It'll be a good investment. Scary to see that my thread has about 260 reports of bike theft in 1 year of making it. The other 15'ish posts are just chit chat.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 16:44 Quote
I lock both of my wheels and my frame with my 2m cable to something solid, but it's a shite lock.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 16:46 Quote
These locks could be picked with a biro.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://intersol.us/p7hg_img_1/fullsize/barrelLock1_fs.jpg

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 16:49 Quote
I've seen people pick locks with biro casing before. It's worrying because unlike a massive set of bolt croppers everyday people have them and they're not suspicious.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 16:50 Quote
never-stop wrote:

Cable locks have a bad reputation for security. They are far easier to cut through than D-Locks. As a secondary lock however they can be a good choice. Steel cable locks will be a better deterrent and also make a thief take longer to cut through if you have one of these with your other lock.

Bolded. Like I listed on the first page. It;s not to be your primary lock but a secondary one.

Posted: Sep 5, 2011 at 16:53 Quote
they changed the design ages ago, you can't pick them with a biro anymore

also i think your better off with a smaller lighter easier to carry cable lock, all you really need them for is to stop people taking your wheels off your bike

Posted: Dec 16, 2012 at 6:09 Quote
Hi guys,

I've been trying to decide what lock to go for after recently finally having a bike again. I had my Orange Clockwork stolen about 8 years ago. Despite having a new bike, I'm still bitter about it and determined not to let that happen again!

I've narrowed it down to either the Kryptonite New York 3000 or the Almax series III. I'd be interested to know which one people think is better. I figure the Almax because it can't be busted with a portable jack, unlike the Kryptonite. Am I right in thinking that? I assume it would be harder to get a jack to stretch the chain. However the Almax is heavier and more expensive, but I'm prepared to pay the price for that if it means my bike is still there when I finish work.

Appreciate any of your thoughts...

Thanks

Posted: Dec 16, 2012 at 6:18 Quote
Istari wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been trying to decide what lock to go for after recently finally having a bike again. I had my Orange Clockwork stolen about 8 years ago. Despite having a new bike I'm still bitter about it and determined not to let that happen again!

I've narrowed it down to either the Kryptonite New York 3000 or the Almax series III. I'd be interested to know which one people think is better. I figure the Almax because it can't be busted with a portable jack, unlike the Kryptonite. Am I right in thinking that? I assume it would be harder to get a jack to stretch the chain. However the Almax is heavier and more expensive, but I'm prepared to pay the price for that if it means my bike is still there when I finish work.

Appreciate any of your thoughts...

Thanks

Almax Series III is better by a long shot, but it's much heavier to carry as you said.
If you're using a D-Lock, get the Mini lock, as bigger d-locks can be prized open with a bottle jack, Kryptonite are strong, don't get me wrong, but they can be broken easier by (determined) pro thieves. The Almax comes with a Squire lock too, which has 3 keys, 2 green 2 amber 2 red. You use the green key all the time and put the others somewhere safe. If however, you lose the green key and think that someone may know that it opens your lock, insert the amber key and it will lock out the green key forever, it will not open the lock. If you lose the amber key you can do the same with the red key. It gives the lock 3 lives.

Views: 2,884    Faves: 3    Comments: 6

Posted: Dec 16, 2012 at 6:24 Quote
Thanks for the reply, I had kind of ruled out the mini, because I figured I'd probably get annoyed trying to get it around the frame and a post. I'm probably going over the top with Almax, but I want to know I've done pretty much all I can to stop it getting stolen.

Yeah, I've spent a lot of time trawling through the net watching videos of chains and locks getting cut (mostly by Almax), and having a bike already nicked has made me paranoid.

Posted: Dec 16, 2012 at 6:36 Quote
Istari wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I had kind of ruled out the mini, because I figured I'd probably get annoyed trying to get it around the frame and a post. I'm probably going over the top with Almax, but I want to know I've done pretty much all I can to stop it getting stolen.

Obviously a determined thief will get through any chain, but to do that with the Almax, they'd need an angle grinder which makes a hellova lot of sound, and will put them off even trying (unless you lock up the bike in a secluded area where there is no CCTV or members of the public)

Good thing about Almax chains too, is that you can keep them to lock up in public and home. Yes, they're a little heavy, but carrying the chain in a rucksack shouldn't compromise anything.

As long as you lock the bike up correctly, and use a secondary lock (doesn't have to be expensive) you've done enough to prevent your bike being stolen.

I'd get a cheaper, lighter chain as a secondary lock with an alarmed padlock just so it causes attention if anybody tries to tamper with it.

Posted: Dec 16, 2012 at 6:45 Quote
Yeah, at the moment I'm using a normal kryptonite D-lock with a kryptonite flexi-cable and a secondary chain, but I know both could be easily cropped. Luckily there are plenty of bikes in the town I'm in at the moment which are really badly locked up, and I don't think crime rate is that high. Still...

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019438
Mobile Version of Website