Post your "Custom" DJ or BMX!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Post your "Custom" DJ or BMX!
Posted: Apr 6, 2012 at 15:32 Quote
chrisp1uk wrote:
trozei wrote:
chrisp1uk wrote:

I chose lime green and black to be a little unique. the brake rotors I had are the same as my old bike, I chose them for maximum stopping power because I love powerful brakes (Would 180mm rotors have the same stopping power?)

Which spacers are you talking about?

It rides amazingly, very smooth and quite a bit lighter than my old bike.
Rotors have little to do with stopping power as far as bicycles go. Cars on the other had do, but that's not the point. A larger rotor on a bike only assist with heat dissipation. Most of your actual stopping power falls into the hands of the pads and the caliper.
I may get some 180mm rotors for the front and back then. having 203mm rotors isn't detrimental to the performance of the bike is it?
Stick to 161mm. You have front and rear brakes anyway. You really don't need an extra 24mm of rotor to worry about bending.

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 at 18:06 Quote
Got me a new seat.Big Grin
got me a new seat
got me a new seat

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 5:57 Quote
stand-easy wrote:
I'd go 160 to be honest, 180 is still huge

I think 180 is the smallest I can go without changing the calliper mounts. correct me if I'm wrong please

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 5:59 Quote
you have to change them whenever you go to a different sized rotor. 180 is complete overkill for dj. even a 140mm will do.

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 6:07 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
you have to change them whenever you go to a different sized rotor. 180 is complete overkill for dj. even a 140mm will do.
you'll have to change them regardless. please go 140mm. it'll look so clean.

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 6:08 Quote
chrisp1uk wrote:
trozei wrote:
chrisp1uk wrote:

I chose lime green and black to be a little unique. the brake rotors I had are the same as my old bike, I chose them for maximum stopping power because I love powerful brakes (Would 180mm rotors have the same stopping power?)

Which spacers are you talking about?

It rides amazingly, very smooth and quite a bit lighter than my old bike.
Rotors have little to do with stopping power as far as bicycles go. Cars on the other had do, but that's not the point. A larger rotor on a bike only assist with heat dissipation. Most of your actual stopping power falls into the hands of the pads and the caliper.

I may get some 180mm rotors for the front and back then. having 203mm rotors isn't detrimental to the performance of the bike is it?

I would get 160 front and rear.

The green cables really annoy me on this bike. Brake cables are one of the ugliest parts of a bike IMO and I like to keep mine as tidy as possible because the messyness is the main source of ugly. The green highlights the ugliness further and I'm really not into it.

Black cables, 160mm rotors, black pedals (good to here you have vaults on order) and cut the steerer tube and you have an amazing bike. 898, 831, cult cranks, vaults is pretty much dream dirt jump bike set up but I feel this bike is let down.

Rant over. Sorry guys.

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 8:18 Quote
ebo421 wrote:
yo13bo wrote:

Not meaning to sound silly but what would I need to change to be able to fit a 140 mm rotor on?

Also does anyone know where you can get black braided brake hose from?

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 8:31 Quote
I'd just like to point out.. We are giving constructive critism & you're doing a good job at accepting & listening to our ideas, rather than most people just get mad haha Salute
Try CRC for the cable perhaps?

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 8:37 Quote
stand-easy wrote:
I'd just like to point out.. We are giving constructive critism & you're doing a good job at accepting & listening to our ideas, rather than most people just get mad haha Salute
Coughhtcough

If its hope give them a direct call or goodridge/goodman not to sure but it good something do some

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 8:43 Quote
chrisp1uk wrote:
ebo421 wrote:
yo13bo wrote:

Not meaning to sound silly but what would I need to change to be able to fit a 140 mm rotor on?

Also does anyone know where you can get black braided brake hose from?
When you buy the rotor from your shop or whatnot say you need the caliper adaptor to fit your caliper to the 140mm

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 9:10 Quote
stand-easy wrote:

I don't know much about dj so any advise given to me from people who know a lot more than me is very helpful tup

I'll give Hope a ring on Tuesday and ask about some 140mm rotors and if they will be compatible with my callipers

The brakes came with black hoses straight from the shop but I had them changed so I've asked for the old hoses back and I will get them fitted as soon as I have them.

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 17:59 Quote
the rotors will work with your brakes but youll need diffrent adaptors

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 at 2:34 Quote
Element30kid wrote:
the rotors will work with your brakes but youll need diffrent adaptors

Thanks mate Smile

Posted: Apr 8, 2012 at 3:59 Quote
I've found the Hope 140mm rotors and what appears to be a "rear" adaptor. Can I not use the adaptor for the front as well?

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008997
Mobile Version of Website