2012 Kona Operator!

PB Forum :: Kona
2012 Kona Operator!
Posted: Dec 17, 2015 at 9:17 Quote
I ordered the RaceFace Atlas crank and a TI-spring and a few other bits should be here tomorrow, just stripping it all down now to give it a full once over Smile

Posted: Dec 20, 2015 at 23:27 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
zrnjan wrote:
Hello! I am new to the site.

I was wondering... I came across a beautiful Kona Operator 2012, extremely well preserved. Not a single scratch, ridden around the city. The guy wants 1 500 Euros. I think it is a bit overrated, I would offer 1 000 Euros. The thing that bothers me is this: can I increase the versatility of the Operator by placing larger cassette at the back and smaller chainring at the front so that I can pedal easier in urban areas? I want to make as versatile as possible and use it around the city, then use it in the woods, then on muddy roads, then on paved roads, than at the country side, then back again in the city... I am not interested in AM at all. People have been telling me that the bike is very heavy for such use, they were explicit that it can be ridden only as a DH bike. But somehow I don't believe them... Besides changing cassette and chainring, I would place some lighter tyres, carbon handle bar, carbon stem, remove the chainguide, put air spring suspension... Can it be enough to have as light as possible Operator capable of urban riding, XC and a bit of DH? I am not DH rider, but occasionally I would like to go and ride in the woods. I am more fascinated by the looks of the Operator than I am interested in DH riding.

Any advice or experience will be hugely appreciated!!!
Thank you!!!

Why not just get a Kona process 153 or something. The operator (even with modifications) wouldn't be a great bike to pedal since its geometry is still going to be that of a DH bike. I'd listen to the people you have talked to already. If you need a DH bike go ahead and get the operator. But if you want a bike that can do it all I'd recommend one of the Kona process models
Don't be stupid and do what they told ya, 2012 operator will crack anyway... Frown As mine one...

Posted: Dec 21, 2015 at 4:07 Quote
Been riding my 2012 Operator since Fall of 2011. No problems. Such a great bike.

Posted: Dec 28, 2015 at 0:51 Quote
Same with mine...

Posted: Dec 29, 2015 at 1:42 Quote
R-P-S wrote:
Been riding my 2012 Operator since Fall of 2011. No problems. Such a great bike.

I don't say it's a bad bike, I loved it, absolutely, till the cracks shown up themselves right next to headtube. Next issue was the wall for bottom head set, when I did maintenance of fork, the bottom headset completely dropped itself to my hand, without any force.
Maybe it was just one bad piece, google "broken kona operator" for more details

The 2011 and 2012 have shitty material used - looks like as they are braking on 3 repetitive locations.

I repeat: It's a damn good, playfull and enjoyable bike, but I would go for 2013 if I want to buy it again.

That's it Wink

Posted: Dec 29, 2015 at 2:08 Quote
I could be wrong but i think they improved the wall thickness of the tubing in the weak areas for 2013

Posted: Dec 29, 2015 at 7:03 Quote
I'm pretty big (6'4 200lbs) I have ridden most of the stuff at mountain creek and highland mountain for about 4 years on my 2012 operator with no issues. I've actually seen two of my friends break their frames but in both cases they were running the entourage versions with the single crown and they added a dual crown which I have heard is not advised.

And in both cases they broke their frames when casing big step ups/downs badly.

Posted: Dec 29, 2015 at 13:43 Quote
And in both cases they broke their frames when casing big step ups/downs badly.[/Quote]

^
This probably the biggest reason why frames break.. Shit this, shit that, bullshit..
Yeah enough Konas broke manly becouse everyone wanted a stinky and went out to try and be a free-rider, hence a lot of broke frames

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 0:11 Quote
Shiny-side-up wrote:
I could be wrong but i think they improved the wall thickness of the tubing in the weak areas for 2013

Exactly, that's what they told me when I tried to get another frame. They also told me, that the downtube is stronger, as it was a weak point of 2012 and 2011 edition - Kona shop told this

Posted: Jan 4, 2016 at 0:18 Quote
raidenCZE wrote:
Shiny-side-up wrote:

Exactly, that's what they told me when I tried to get another frame.

Two of us had the same frame, I used to run M, he used to ride L version. Both of us had serious problems with frame. My one broke after a fall, which was not so serious to get the frame damaged. My Spec Status get worse falls and the frame is still like new one. His operator has hole like the one in the ass after huge dildo penetration in the down tube. I say again, it's a fun frame, but the material sucks. I hope you all enjoy your frame until they corrodes Smile

Posted: Feb 7, 2016 at 17:52 Quote
Not quiet finished but very close now. Kona operator mk3 build

My nearly completed project bike.

Full custom operator 2012
Just the shock upgrade to go now.

Custom fox dhx rc4 just assembled https m.facebook.com CaseHydrographix

Custom modified fox dhx rc4 by me at case Custom cycles.

but what do you guys think? I think she's a rockin'. I'll have some propper pics up over the next week as she's put through the last finishing touches.

Posted: Feb 9, 2016 at 15:45 Quote
Hi guys,

I'm taking my rear triangle apart on my 2012 Kona Operator to re-grease and
clean some of the bearings. I noticed when the rocker arm is disconnected
from the shock and seat stay (just mounted to the large seat tube pivot)
there is a small amount of side to side play if I grab either side of the
rocker and move it from side to side. The bearings looking fine so I wasn't
sure if maybe it was just built this way to have a small amount of play?
Just curious if this is normal to have some play on this pivot when
everything is torqued correctly?

Thanks!
Bryan

Posted: Feb 11, 2016 at 19:01 Quote
BryanBobo wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm taking my rear triangle apart on my 2012 Kona Operator to re-grease and
clean some of the bearings. I noticed when the rocker arm is disconnected
from the shock and seat stay (just mounted to the large seat tube pivot)
there is a small amount of side to side play if I grab either side of the
rocker and move it from side to side. The bearings looking fine so I wasn't
sure if maybe it was just built this way to have a small amount of play?
Just curious if this is normal to have some play on this pivot when
everything is torqued correctly?

Thanks!
Bryan

How much movement?! A small amount is normal.

Posted: May 29, 2016 at 11:11 Quote
getting mine now for 1000 USD, because of price drop. it´s a 2012. Comes with a boxxer and DHX RC4 rear shock both 200. Good buy or not? help!

Posted: May 29, 2016 at 13:45 Quote
hermannrv8890 wrote:
getting mine now for 1000 USD, because of price drop. it´s a 2012. Comes with a boxxer and DHX RC4 rear shock both 200. Good buy or not? help!
I would rather buy 2013. What i've been told: The 2013 frame has improved durability of downtube, which was snapping on 2011 and 2012 version. Don't know if the headtube welding was improved as well bcs mine one failed. All my friends including me on 2012 had small dents from boxxer bumpers and one of them had big one on downtube. But I had good times on this bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016658
Mobile Version of Website