Fox 40 - thru axle hex stripped

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 40 - thru axle hex stripped
Previous Page |
Mod
Posted: Sep 16, 2011 at 14:43 Quote
Hey,

So very long story on how it got stripped... but it did. So. It's stripped, I've tried the old go to's such as getting a new hex key with sharp edges, torx keys..

So, luckily I haven't had to take off the front wheel in over a year, still don't need to. But Id' like to be able to take that sucker off at some point. Any suggestions on how to modify the hole so that I can just use a standard tool to take the wheel off in the future (doesn't need to be a hex or tork key, could be a modified flat headed screwdriver.. etc. I don't really want to buy a new axle.

Anyhow, any ideas?

Posted: Sep 18, 2011 at 6:14 Quote
would it be posibble to drill a decent size screw into the end cap just so you can remove and then buy a new end cap

Posted: Sep 20, 2011 at 14:00 Quote
i had the same problem. ive managed to get a flat end screw driver to grip by just wedging it in. pretty much only way to be honest. they arnt the made of the hardest metal in the world are they?

Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 6:23 Quote
I used a dremel to widen the slit when my buddys 40 axle stripped

just giver' with the cutter until you have a decent flat-zone for a screwdriver, axles don't need to be that tight anyway.....

Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 12:10 Quote
JABBA2010 wrote:
buy som boxxers

Just a shame most people DON'T have £600 - £1200 going spare...

Jam a flathead screwdriver in, only way my mate could remove his when he too rounded it off. Also make sure you grease it before installing it again!

Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 12:16 Quote
dobby wrote:
JABBA2010 wrote:
buy som boxxers

Just a shame most people DON'T have £600 - £1200 going spare...

Jam a flathead screwdriver in, only way my mate could remove his when he too rounded it off. Also make sure you grease it before installing it again!

a set of 40's would be same price as boxxers anyway

Mod
Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 13:07 Quote
Why would I buy new forks when my 40's are perfectly fine and suit my needs well. Plus I could never see myself riding a Boxxer. meh. Anyhow.. I'll try the screwdriver idea.

Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 13:15 Quote
Put a standard size 5mm socket head bolt thru the axle hole with washers on both sides. Double or tripple nut the bolt from the other side inside the axle and there you have it.

Sure the socket head will stick out but so what - it will work.

Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 13:17 Quote
i snapped my new style boxxer wedge thing then managed to strip the 10mm under that, i wedged a snap on extension from a socket set into it and was able to ratchet it off with that, you need a new axle, wedge something into it hard and take it out...

Mod
Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 13:29 Quote
rieber wrote:
Put a standard size 5mm socket head bolt thru the axle hole with washers on both sides. Double or tripple nut the bolt from the other side inside the axle and there you have it.

Sure the socket head will stick out but so what - it will work.
like the sound of that dude if screw drivers fail I'll try that next. no to worried if stuff sticks about abit, afterall the actual lowers stick out wuite a bit farther

Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 13:34 Quote
If you want to wedge something in then get the square tapered easy out and tap that in. Then unscrew the axle. Then fit a bolt for future removals.

Try not to mess up your axle more than it is.

Mod
Posted: Sep 25, 2011 at 12:35 Quote
well, tried the screwdirver idea, hammered a big old one into there nice and tight, made its own groove, gave it a bit of a turn, and it cut through the axle material like butter, so now I donno how that things going to come off. Frown Sadly this bike is my only transport atm, and now I have a flat.. that I cannot get off to repair.

Posted: Sep 25, 2011 at 13:38 Quote
t3rry wrote:
well, tried the screwdirver idea, hammered a big old one into there nice and tight, made its own groove, gave it a bit of a turn, and it cut through the axle material like butter, so now I donno how that things going to come off. Frown Sadly this bike is my only transport atm, and now I have a flat.. that I cannot get off to repair.

stans liquid?

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015906
Mobile Version of Website