Fox 40 - thru axle hex stripped

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 40 - thru axle hex stripped
Posted: Sep 25, 2011 at 13:44 Quote
likeomg wrote:
t3rry wrote:
well, tried the screwdirver idea, hammered a big old one into there nice and tight, made its own groove, gave it a bit of a turn, and it cut through the axle material like butter, so now I donno how that things going to come off. Frown Sadly this bike is my only transport atm, and now I have a flat.. that I cannot get off to repair.

stans liquid?

has happened to me, the solution was a bigger screwdriver, then the next time i removed the axle, an even bigger screwdriver. Got a huge screwdriver now but it comes out easy Big Grin

Mod
Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 16:31 Quote
Hammered a huge screwdriver in there, plenty of grips on both side of the hole.. and yet again the whole thing stripped as if it was butter, I had also poured a bunch of lubricant into the threading to help everything loosen up and come out.. normally works on other things that are acting like they are seized.. anyhow, I'm starting to believe that Fox actually uses butter in the construction of their axles.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 26, 2011 at 16:38 Quote
Use a dremmel to cut a slot in the axle, one with actual surface area, find the biggest slotted screw driver you can. Also heat up the area where the axle threads into the lowers, as magnesium has a higher rate of thermal expansion then aluminum does, and should loosen the tolerances up a bit. Should come out.

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 at 0:49 Quote
you have undone and removed all the pinch bolts right? Unless youve done it up super tight to begin with, the cutting a slot should work fine. try using a hacksaw blade without the hacksaw to cut two proper slots in the axle, by poking it in the allen key hole and sawing to the sides if you find dremeling in difficult. I'd advize lubing not just the threads but the points it enters the hub at as well, as the axle can get stuck in the hub sometimes if its corroded at all.

[PI=https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/6110421/ size=l align=c][/PI]
should end up similar to this and useable

the other thing i've done (we've had two rounded in my house Facepalm ) was to take a flat head screwdriver/drill bit (http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/93909.jpg), the biggest i could find, lay the bike on its side, and hammer the f*cker in, untill it was truly wedged (its still stuck in the axle sat on a shelf in my house!) the attatch the screwdriver and turn gently, if you feel it start to round, take it off and hammer the bit some more. We hammered it up to the right hex part of the screwdriver bit. Can take you some pics if thats not too clear Smile

Posted: Oct 17, 2011 at 9:57 Quote
A t30 torx bit is what i use for mine now after rounding it off.

Mod
Posted: Oct 21, 2011 at 14:34 Quote
K, dremmeling, having to do a little bit at time otherwise the dremmel motor gets too hot. Also broke one blade so far, but it's looking promising, I need to go find some smaller blades for it now to finish up, and a farking wide screwdriver, I really hope this works.

Posted: Oct 22, 2011 at 10:15 Quote
Would a reverse drill bit or a screw extractor work?

Posted: Feb 25, 2013 at 4:49 Quote
edited. posted before try all suggestions. sorry.
problem fixed.

Posted: May 7, 2013 at 5:41 Quote
hey all,
anyway to quick fix? or at least remove the old axle

I see the new axle is £50 so if its not too much of a ballache i'd like to remove the stuck axle myself
thanks in advance,,, please help!

Mod
Posted: May 7, 2013 at 5:48 Quote
we ended up sawing through the cups on both sides of my hub, and then removing the axle bits from there... was a quick fix, but we had the parts around.

Posted: May 7, 2013 at 5:57 Quote
thanks dude I think that will work
since I'm not going to have a new axle before the weekend, is there any way I can do it to save the wheel hub adaptors?
I only ask because ridiculously the wheel isn't mine, I had to borrow it while my own wheel adaptors arrived!
and my mates are gold so it might be hard to find a match

thanks again.. quick response!!!

Mod
Posted: May 7, 2013 at 6:25 Quote
ask the shop, mine was a last ditch attempt as it was good and f*cked.

Posted: May 7, 2013 at 9:35 Quote
have you guys never heard of easy out??

removed couple of stripped fox 40 axles with easy outs without having to cut or damage other part of the fork or hub...

with easy out it'll just screw out like how it's supposed to

Posted: May 7, 2013 at 14:06 Quote
chris wrote:
have you guys never heard of easy out??

removed couple of stripped fox 40 axles with easy outs without having to cut or damage other part of the fork or hub...

with easy out it'll just screw out like how it's supposed to
does it involve drilling? I could only find this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts

Posted: May 7, 2013 at 18:43 Quote
JABBA2010 wrote:
buy som boxxers

Who is this clown?? ^^

A few things to try...

An extractor set.

Putting a rubber band in the axle head and then shoving a torx or hex in there. It'll give it something to grip onto.

And as a last resort, if you don't mind losing a hex/axle... Jb weld a hex into the axle head and you should be able to crank that sucker off

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015712
Mobile Version of Website