Fox 40 - thru axle hex stripped

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox 40 - thru axle hex stripped
| Next Page
Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 0:40 Quote
I had the same problem. Just hammered a torx 40 into the axle and it twisted out.

The issue I’m having now is finding a 20 X 110 axle. I would prefer an aftermarket one that is made of a harder metal.... anyone purchased or heard of non fox axles out there?

The axle is off of a 2019 fox 40

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
Jwyles1 wrote:
I had the same problem. Just hammered a torx 40 into the axle and it twisted out.

The issue I’m having now is finding a 20 X 110 axle. I would prefer an aftermarket one that is made of a harder metal.... anyone purchased or heard of non fox axles out there?

Nope. Just don't be a hack.

Fox sells just the threaded hex cap for about $8. Go to your LBS and get them to order you a couple.

here's the part number

229-19-037

And here's a link to the photo

https://www.tribesportgroup.com/p/18116-shaft-axle-cap-4036-lh-thread-black-ano-type-ii-class-2.html

Posted: Oct 2, 2020 at 17:04 Quote
z-man wrote:
Jwyles1 wrote:

Fox sells just the threaded hex cap for about $8. Go to your LBS and get them to order you a couple.

here's the part number

229-19-037

https://www.tribesportgroup.com/p/18116-shaft-axle-cap-4036-lh-thread-black-ano-type-ii-class-2.html

WIsh I knew that was a separate part from the axle itsellf!

Posted: Oct 3, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
Staktup wrote:
z-man wrote:
Jwyles1 wrote:

here's the part number

229-19-037

WIsh I knew that was a separate part from the axle itsellf!

Most people don't. It's reverse threaded and lock-tightened in place so it can be tough to get out and swap. But and easy out and using some shaft clamps or the fork's pinch bolts to hold the axle usually gets it. Just need to have a reverse easy out. Hammering in a T27 bit works in a pinch too.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 at 14:56 Quote
I filed the hole with a needle file to fit an 8mm hex key & haven't looked back!

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 3:21 Quote
jbhkhc wrote:
Had this recently, and tried everything suggested to no avail. Just had more and more material stripping out the axle, those things are like butter.

Anyway, my mechanic friend saved me and it turned out to be super simple.Insert two allen/hex keys into the threaded side of the axle. They should fit very snug (i believe I used an 8mm and 5mm keys). You will want to make the fit as tight as possible, to do this I put a strip of old innertube under the smaller allen key for added grip and gently hammered it in. Furthermore, I inserted the 8mm in with the longer side going inside, and vice versa for the short one. You will be left with two allen keys protruding, and they should be at opposites (eg half past 12 if it was a clock face).

Now simply turn ONE of the allen keys clockwise (remember we are using the threaded side of axle so it will be reversed). It will spin at first, but when it stars to get to a closer angle to the stationary allen key, it will act like a clutch and grip enough to loosen the axle.

Hope that makes sense Big Grin

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 3:22 Quote
Genius, works perfect, saved my 2004 talas 36. Thanks geezer.

Posted: Jun 29, 2021 at 7:04 Quote
Just an update to this, I've stripped the inside nut on my axle so this ending on the thread was really helpfull. I've used an extractor to take the axle out and worked like a charm.

In the meantime I've ordered the end part of the axle, (Part number 229-19-037 as advised before) to replace it.

The only thing that I've seen here, recommended by Z-man, to use the fork pinch bolts to hold it and try to remove the end cap backwards, I totally suggest agains it, I've tried it for a bit, and thank god that I stopped without insisiting as the axle was starting to break the thread on the lowers so be carefull or you'll brake your lowers. A vice would be the easiest way to get it out.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 15:40 Quote
mcronin1 wrote:
t3rry wrote:
well, tried the screwdirver idea, hammered a big old one into there nice and tight, made its own groove, gave it a bit of a turn, and it cut through the axle material like butter, so now I donno how that things going to come off. Frown Sadly this bike is my only transport atm, and now I have a flat.. that I cannot get off to repair.

Take the tube out, tape it and go tubeless.

Easy fix bro

Just came here to say, that 2-allen key trick did it for me. Many thanks!!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010203
Mobile Version of Website