Best all mountain frame

• Previous Page
Posted: Sep 18, 2011 at 18:35 Quote
I'm looking to build an all mountain bike from scratch and can't decide what frame to go with here are is a list of bikes i'm thinking of i want to build a true do everything bike thats tuff enough for drops and downhill but is still an all mountain bike
Cannondale jekyll
Lapierre spicy
Trek remedy
Yeti SB-66

or any other suggestions
Thanks

Posted: Sep 18, 2011 at 18:39 Quote
Santa Cruz Blur LT should definitely be on that list, as well as a Specialized Enduro if you're into the 160mm stuff.

Posted: Sep 18, 2011 at 19:01 Quote
Yeah those are both nice bikes and I am looking to put a 36 talas

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 11:13 Quote
a couple more to look at:
Nomad
Rune

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 11:16 Quote
Also, consider long travel Intense, uses dual link rear suspension.. and as a Canadian, check out Devinci models, also using Dave Weagles dual DW link rear end..

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 11:18 Quote
And if you're throwing a 36 on, you'll be much happier with a Claymore than a Jekyll. Fits the bike a lot better and already comes with one if you buy complete.

Posted: Sep 19, 2011 at 15:29 Quote
Well I was looking at Mark Weirs Jekyll and he runs a 36 on his jekyll and does any on have any thing good/bad to say about the lapierre spicy

Posted: Sep 20, 2011 at 17:48 Quote
Or even the ibis mojo

Posted: Sep 21, 2011 at 1:22 Quote
Check out the Tomac Snyper 140 and the Tomac Vanish 160. I ride the Snyper and love it. Gets up hill with out any problems and rails down without flinching. My buddy has the Vanish and feels the same way. Also, a plus is Tomac customer service, Joel Smith the owner will handle any problem you have ASAP. He is a great guy to deal with, friendly, professinal and timely. Tomac Bikes FTW IMO

Posted: Sep 21, 2011 at 10:41 Quote
Also check out Devinci's "Dixon" all-mountain bike

Devinci Dixon SP with 1 x 9 drivetrain and RS Reverb seatpost

designed in conjunction with Dave Weagle (DW) using his "Split-Pivot" suspension, custom tuned Fox RP23 BV shock and 142 x 12mm rear axle

lifetime warranty on the frame (Canadian made), super simple to maintain with tough 'real world' pivot hardware and every bearing is the same size (a large size for durability) available from any common bearing supplier at low price

super happy with mine, I run a Fox 36 Float RC2 lowered to 150mm giving a slack 66 degree head angle, but a nice steep 71 degree seat angle with full length tube for climbing, and have cable routing for my RS Reverb post

with a sensible build (SLX cranks, Renthal bars, Nukeproof steel axle pedals, X-7 rear mech, E13 chain device, etc.) my bike is 30.5lb with the Reverb post Smile

Dixon feels very solid under power, climbs really well and powers along the singletrack, fantastic "trail" bike, I certainly enjoy the miles on mine!

super stiff frame both front and rear, really short chainstays for responsive handling, eats up the DH runs and feels very solid at high speed in the chunder

(MBR magazine here in the UK reviewed one in Whistler and said the 145mm suspension was better than most of the 160mm bikes they had tested!)

Posted: Sep 21, 2011 at 11:04 Quote
[Quote="hampsteadbandit"]Also check out Devinci's "Dixon" all-mountain bike
Quote]

Read MBAction's review, scathing.....braking cause shock to extend and act like a hardtail, in not so many words said it is a great bike except for the one thing that makes it unrideable.....

Posted: Sep 21, 2011 at 11:29 Quote
SB-66 isn't named SuperBike for nothing.

Riding a Spicy 316 myself. Real nice bike with a very nice geo. It really makes the trail come alive. The 2010 feels a bit harsh in the bottom of the travel but the new 2011 should be much better. A new set of tires and a dropperpost is a must. Rubber Queens just haven't got enough traction in when leaned.
Long story short. It's a superb bike that really invites to play around. Just my 2 cents

Posted: Sep 21, 2011 at 11:34 Quote
[Quote="triallison"]
hampsteadbandit wrote:
Also check out Devinci's "Dixon" all-mountain bike
Quote]

Read MBAction's review, scathing.....braking cause shock to extend and act like a hardtail, in not so many words said it is a great bike except for the one thing that makes it unrideable.....

MBA are completely full of sh*t, and have very little credibility amongst serious mountain bikers (they tried to relabel Freeride as "black diamond"!)

a common trait of the concentric pivot: Split pivot and ABP (trek) bikes is the active braking, its the whole point of the design!!

I have ridden my Dixon SP on DH uplift days in wales (UK) on very rough tracks in bad conditions, and was very pleased with the braking response - equal to my previous bike which was a FSR (horst pivot) design

I have owned many FSR, faux-bar (rocker activated single pivot), Virtual Pivot and now the SP

the worst was the Faux-bar which had very squatty braking causing the back wheel to skip when the brake was applied

the SP feels nothing like this, it feels just like FSR when braking Smile

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2011 at 11:38 Quote
Nukeproof Mega.
Had mine a few months now and i can barely stop riding it!
Been on trail centre jaunts / 25mile+ xc rides / DH / even commute to work on it. Its aimed slightly more at descending than climbing but even with a single ring i can manage 99% of climbs, and then it blasts the descents, abd its cheap!

Posted: Sep 22, 2011 at 13:10 Quote
It's hard to go wrong with any big name am rig. I ride a enduro and it's an amazing climber but descends like dh rig.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013331
Mobile Version of Website