What is your rear shocks spring rate..

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What is your rear shocks spring rate..
Posted: Dec 26, 2007 at 15:49 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
Does it make noises when it's in use, like a tapping noise when bunnyhopping? It really does sound like you have an internal leak.
no noises i can hear over the clatter of a shitty derailer but i haven't noticed any problems other than the siffness.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 5:36 Quote
650 Lbs, but, i want 550 Ti spring, but in Russia there are no Ti Springs in bike shops=( Only in OEM versions with new bikes=(

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 5:46 Quote
I have a 450lb spring on a revox. Smile

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 6:04 Quote
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
theoutpost wrote:
Does it make noises when it's in use, like a tapping noise when bunnyhopping? It really does sound like you have an internal leak.
no noises i can hear over the clatter of a shitty derailer but i haven't noticed any problems other than the siffness.
Does the linkage move smoothly when the shock is removed?

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 9:04 Quote
It doesn't sound like theres a leak. The piston of the shock should have no compression...it is there for damping only (rebound and compression dampinbg, aswell as controlling any other functions you may have ). You should be able to run the shock through its travel by hand if it doesn't have a spring on it. It will be stiff, but it is only because the oil is being forced through the valves, and it will come back out slowly as well.

You may not be able to compress the shock by hand very quickly if the compression is cranked all the way up. The shock itself is only damped, the spring is what enables the shock to cycle through it's travel.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 10:23 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
theoutpost wrote:
Does the linkage move smoothly when the shock is removed?
yes it does. the only problem is it is not stiff enough.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 10:36 Quote
hey
im 108 lbs
i have a manitou swinger 4-way spv
im running a 450 spring

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 11:19 Quote
The deciding factor on your spring rate is determined by the compression ratio, without knowing that, we can make no educated suggestions.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 11:21 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
The deciding factor on your spring rate is determined by the compression ratio, without knowing that, we can make no educated suggestions.
how do you find the compression ratio? my bike has 6in. of travel and is a Kona Coiler (i know, i can't afford better). it's really just an over complicated single pivot if that helps.

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 13:36 Quote
What is the stroke on the shock?

Posted: Dec 27, 2007 at 17:12 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
2.25 in.

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 3:37 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
we've already been through this, the issue is that he is experiencing a real soft shock when in actual fact, he should be experiencing a fim one. He's is running a 550lb spring which is about 100lb too much, in theory.

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 3:53 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
PedalUpBombDown wrote:
theoutpost wrote:
just use this.....
okay, i need a much firmer spring on my coiler (now it's a 550 and i can bottom by bunnyhopping) and according to that calculator, i need a 434lb spring. i have a 550 now and with that calculator, i weigh about 196lbs. basically, i need a way to find the spring that would actually work and if i can't or i have an excess amount of money come spring, it's just going with a DHX Air because of ease. so what i'm asking is b/c i'm broke and a spring is way cheaper than a new shock, do you (or anyone else) know of a spring rate calculator that would actually work for me? if it helps, i weigh about 160lbs with full gear and i ride an 06 coiler with 6in of travel.

I'm betting you have the wrong information punched into it.

WEll funny enough that site is giving me weird info aswell. I ride a Giant Faith, 450x2.75 rear shock, 8 inches travel and I weight about 125.

I am riding a 450 lb now and I think it may be a bit too stiff, I dont think I need anything softer than 400 lb, this site is saying i need 250!?

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 3:54 Quote
what shock you using? Sounds about right if you weigh under 9st... midget?

Posted: Dec 28, 2007 at 5:18 Quote
DHX, ye I guess but its normal sorta size for this age around 55 - 60 kg

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.095300
Mobile Version of Website