Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 0:30 Quote
It took 5 hours riding till my trailstar hds felt good. Then for the next 10hours they were good but after that became worse by the ride.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 0:36 Quote
Similar experiences with HD in the mud. They're just too wide and don't dig into the mud as some narrower spikier tires. Lower pressure doesn't help either, or the fact I'm 75kg. Floated around the trail like I was on a hovercraft.
They are excellent in the dry and in the damp/wet, but full on mud is where the magic ends.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 1:02 Quote
Id always found the hds brilliant in the mud. Infact i nearly won a wet race due to having the best tires on the day. I reckon i would have won the race if i didn't get a blob me mud in my eye!

It was the super dry conditions that they always struggled in for me. They seemed to just skate across the loose surfaces.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 2:45 Quote
SileTzar wrote:
Similar experiences with HD in the mud. They're just too wide and don't dig into the mud as some narrower spikier tires. Lower pressure doesn't help either, or the fact I'm 75kg. Floated around the trail like I was on a hovercraft.
They are excellent in the dry and in the damp/wet, but full on mud is where the magic ends.

It wasn't even that muddy really,nothing deep. It was roots and just a general feeling the Bike was about to slide out at any moment.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 19:34 Quote
Any big dudes have some tire pressure advice. I keep almost blowing my tubeless exo dhr2 off the rim in corners even around the high 30 pressures.

Im 245+ with gear

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 20:32 Quote
snyda wrote:
Any big dudes have some tire pressure advice. I keep almost blowing my tubeless exo dhr2 off the rim in corners even around the high 30 pressures.

Im 245+ with gear

Dual ply with light tube.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 21:19 Quote
snyda wrote:

Im 245+ with gear

What rims? How hard is it to get the tires on the rim? Do you need to use a compressor to get them inflated?

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 21:20 Quote
Is the difference felt between a dhf 3c and 60a on park days

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 21:43 Quote
It's the difference between skittering around and having decent grip when you don't weight the front wheel. Definitely some extra grip out back for sketchy chute moments, but I don't normally run soft compound tires in the rear because...money.

Posted: Jun 11, 2014 at 21:45 Quote
Does anyone run 2.5 60a rear and 2.7 3c front both dhf's for park use?

Posted: Jun 12, 2014 at 7:29 Quote
Well after a season with my HDs it is time for them to go.

I am running a pair of EVO Snakeskin Trailstars. All things considered the tread blocks are in decent shape, just worn down, no missing blocks as others have mentioned. I am having trouble with the the front tire losing grip though, especially in berms. I am not light, I ride around at 225 lb and the bike is not light weighing chunky 40 lbs, but I did not expect the tire to flex so much that the sidewall hits the dirt and slides out. I am running tubeless and have varied the tire pressure anywhere from 26 psi up to 37 psi and still get far too much flex from the tire.

I want to continue riding tubeless and I still have to earn my turn and ride to the top of my trails, but I am looking for something with less sidewall flex and lots of bite when the bike is leaned over yet can take a beating. I was looking at the HR2s and the Magic Mary with Super Gravity casing. Thoughts? Experiences?

Posted: Jun 12, 2014 at 9:08 Quote
telkey wrote:

I am running a pair of EVO Snakeskin Trailstars. All things considered the tread blocks are in decent shape, just worn down, no missing blocks as others have mentioned. I am having trouble with the the front tire losing grip though, especially in berms. I am not light, I ride around at 225 lb and the bike is not light weighing chunky 40 lbs, but I did not expect the tire to flex so much that the sidewall hits the dirt and slides out. I am running tubeless and have varied the tire pressure anywhere from 26 psi up to 37 psi and still get far too much flex from the tire.

I want to continue riding tubeless and I still have to earn my turn and ride to the top of my trails, but I am looking for something with less sidewall flex and lots of bite 'when the bike is leaned over yet can take a beating. I was looking at the HR2s and the Magic Mary with Super Gravity casing. Thoughts? Experiences?

Well I have been using a set if magic Marys front and rear fir the winter and am completely blown away by their performance. Without a doubt the most confidence inspiring tyres I have ever used. Cornering is awesome,braking is epic and off camber is great too. The only weakness is rolling resistance. I had a vertstar front and trailstar rear. I mostly ride damp/wet muddy roots forest. I could run them at incredibly low pressures and they set up tubeless with no sealant and a floor pump. Best tyre I've ridden.

Posted: Jun 12, 2014 at 9:21 Quote
kroky777 wrote:
telkey wrote:

I want to continue riding tubeless and I still have to earn my turn and ride to the top of my trails, but I am looking for something with less sidewall flex and lots of bite 'when the bike is leaned over yet can take a beating. I was looking at the HR2s and the Magic Mary with Super Gravity casing. Thoughts? Experiences?

Well I have been using a set if magic Marys front and rear fir the winter and am completely blown away by their performance. Without a doubt the most confidence inspiring tyres I have ever used. Cornering is awesome,braking is epic and off camber is great too. The only weakness is rolling resistance. I had a vertstar front and trailstar rear. I mostly ride damp/wet muddy roots forest. I could run them at incredibly low pressures and they set up tubeless with no sealant and a floor pump. Best tyre I've ridden.

Whats the Magic Mary like on dry hardpack, does it struggle with nothing to dig into?

Posted: Jun 12, 2014 at 10:32 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
snyda wrote:

Im 245+ with gear

What rims? How hard is it to get the tires on the rim? Do you need to use a compressor to get them inflated?
Stan ztr flows and no. Hand pumps work fine

Posted: Jun 12, 2014 at 12:50 Quote
telkey wrote:

Snip

I want to continue riding tubeless and I still have to earn my turn and ride to the top of my trails, but I am looking for something with less sidewall flex and lots of bite when the bike is leaned over yet can take a beating. I was looking at the HR2s and the Magic Mary with Super Gravity casing. Thoughts? Experiences?

HR2s all the way, or Minion DHFs for a bit more speed. The DH casings are stiff, the even the folding ones stand up by themselves! The standard EXO HR2 works well for me, loads of grip, good feedback, very predictable when it lets go.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008240
Mobile Version of Website