Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 16:47 Quote
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
panaphonic wrote:

Also I haven't found the grip to be very good on wet roots, in fact I would compare the grip levels to 60a Maxxis rubber. On rocks and wet dirt/clay/hard-pack the grip is excellent and I couldn't ask for anymore.

No tyre is good on wet roots methinks.

It's starting to feel that way. I always thought my old Hans Dampf Trailstars were pretty good on roots. That was on a 29er however. I'm tempted to get anotherone actually. (Both)

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 16:53 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
panaphonic wrote:

Also I haven't found the grip to be very good on wet roots, in fact I would compare the grip levels to 60a Maxxis rubber. On rocks and wet dirt/clay/hard-pack the grip is excellent and I couldn't ask for anymore.

It's starting to feel that way. I always thought my old Hans Dampf Trailstars were pretty good on roots. That was on a 29er however. I'm tempted to get anotherone actually. (Both)

I imagine HDT's would be pretty grippy on a larger circumference,the tread would compliment that size wheel.
Little side question for you on sort of the same subject.
What is the max width you can get for a 29er ?.

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 17:38 Quote
panaphonic wrote:

I imagine HDT's would be pretty grippy on a larger circumference,the tread would compliment that size wheel.
Little side question for you on sort of the same subject.
What is the max width you can get for a 29er ?.

They do a 2.35 that is true to size.

Well I've ordered a Hans Dampf Trailstar for the front to see if it's as good on wet rock and root as I remember.

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 19:36 Quote
Hey gents! Looking for some advice here. Currently I'm running a Kenda Nevegal on the rear and Maxxis High Roller 2 on the front. Both are getting close to the end and I'm hoping to get something that will roll faster on the buffed stuff but hold up in rock gardens and hold well in the corners like my HR2 currently does for me. I'm also planning to go tubeless when I purchase new tires.

Currently looking at WTB Vigilante or Trail Boss (2.25). Would these be fine options to fit the bill? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 23:49 Quote
I'm running a vigilante up top with a trail boss rear and I've been extremely happy with it this far! When things get wet here again I'm probably going to put a vigi on the rear too, but the trail boss is a fantastic summer tyre.

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 0:21 Quote
nealy578 wrote:
I'm running a vigilante up top with a trail boss rear and I've been extremely happy with it this far! When things get wet here again I'm probably going to put a vigi on the rear too, but the trail boss is a fantastic summer tyre.

what model 'boss are you running. I found mine wore out pretty darn fast but for the few weeks while it was fresh there was plenty of grip for how well it rolled.

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 0:35 Quote
Tough fast rolling 2.25, really liking it so far. Maybe a tad on the small side but that could be the tread pattern! They do a 2.4 but I'd rather the larger tyre in the front

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 5:50 Quote
nealy578 wrote:

Sounds like a really solid set-up. Thanks!

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 6:27 Quote
zachdlux wrote:
nealy578 wrote:

I posted a pic of the trail boss a little further up the thread, it's similar to a rock razor but a little beefier in the mid section.

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 10:49 Quote
nealy578 wrote:
zachdlux wrote:
nealy578 wrote:

I posted a pic of the trail boss a little further up the thread, it's similar to a rock razor but a little beefier in the mid section.

Yea I think that will be a solid choice for where I ride. Do you run tubeless? If so, how was it setting them up and getting them mounted? Hassle free?

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 11:35 Quote
zachdlux wrote:
nealy578 wrote:
zachdlux wrote:

Yea I think that will be a solid choice for where I ride. Do you run tubeless? If so, how was it setting them up and getting them mounted? Hassle free?

I've switched wheels from Stans flows to Hope tech enduros, and i find the hopes noticeably harder to mount tyres too, previously ran maxxis.

The vigi came up a bit large and i had to use a compressor to seal it, the trail boss was quite a tight fit and had to pump it up quite hard to seat it, I've had vigi's in the past and found them quite slack too.

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 13:04 Quote
you only need 1 of these Razz

Onza Ibex shed all the mud

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 13:12 Quote
For an unicycle maybe :p

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 13:30 Quote
iffy wrote:
you only need 1 of these Razz

Onza Ibex shed all the mud

That path looks pretty dry, must have had a dry spell of weather where you are.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016482
Mobile Version of Website