Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 13:39 Quote
not rained for weeks..

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 14:24 Quote
brigand wrote:
Vagi what? lol

I'm taking a guess that one of those Highroller2s is a 3c?

On a related subject, Dhr2 Exo vs Ardent 2.4 Exo, how much difference is there in rolling resistance is there (when used on the rear(, duh))?

My recent trial of 2x Mavic Charge has reminded me that I'm not fit enough to not consider rolling resistance.

Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 14:31 Quote
Haven't ridden the DHR2 yet but there really isn't much of a difference in rolling resistance from the Ardent to the DHF - definitely much less than I expected.

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 11:47 Quote
I just came from a set of high roller 2's, the wear on the rear was woeful, Then it burped and went egg shaped so i switched to the WTB's as my local dealer is having trouble getting hold of Maxxis, Was waiting for DHF's to come back in but still nothing.

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 11:57 Quote
nealy578 wrote:
I just came from a set of high roller 2's, the wear on the rear was woeful, Then it burped and went egg shaped so i switched to the WTB's as my local dealer is having trouble getting hold of Maxxis, Was waiting for DHF's to come back in but still nothing.

Becoming more popular the WTB's Nealy.
Usually means customer satisfaction.
Have not tried them personally though.
I have an HR on the back,and I have not your problems with it.
In saying that,I do keep it at a (constant 30psi).
Seems about right IMO
We are all different tup

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 12:20 Quote
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
nealy578 wrote:

Becoming more popular the WTB's Nealy.
Usually means customer satisfaction.
Have not tried them personally though.
I have an HR on the back,and I have not your problems with it.
In saying that,I do keep it at a (constant 30psi).
Seems about right IMO
We are all different tup

It's not put me off, Shortys are my winter tyre of choice! Im also keen to get a set of DHF's on there at some point and was hoping the Minion Semi Slick would have made an appearance by now, but nothing. It was a 3C High roller so i would expect increased wear but it started cracking within a couple of rides. Plus being a fatty probably doesnt help!

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 12:24 Quote
nealy578 wrote:

It's not put me off, Shortys are my winter tyre of choice! Im also keen to get a set of DHF's on there at some point and was hoping the Minion Semi Slick would have made an appearance by now, but nothing. It was a 3C High roller so i would expect increased wear but it started cracking within a couple of rides. Plus being a fatty probably doesnt help!

lol ,not at all Nealy.
Funnily enough,I have a Minion too,and no complaints there either.
Grips like a grippy thing that grips.
Thought the 2.5 up front might be a bugger to steer,but nope.

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 12:27 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
brigand wrote:
Vagi what? lol

I'm taking a guess that one of those Highroller2s is a 3c?

On a related subject, Dhr2 Exo vs Ardent 2.4 Exo, how much difference is there in rolling resistance is there (when used on the rear(, duh))?

My recent trial of 2x Mavic Charge has reminded me that I'm not fit enough to not consider rolling resistance.

All tires on pic are maxxpro/exo/2,4.
Ardent rolls much faster than dhr2. It's the lowest rolling resistance high knobs tire I've tried on rear.
Keep in mind that ardent is about 3mm bigger than dhrII and dhrII is about 2mm bigger than hr2 (all 2,4).

I like my dhr2 (front) and hr2 (rear) combination. On the downhills i have less weight on rear, knobs surface on hr2 is smaller so it penetrates easier (and wears faster), slides a little bit earlier than front tire, you can feel that side knobs are bending..
Dhr2 on front has pretty stiff side knobs, it's hard to make it slide even when braking Smile

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 18:37 Quote
I got a chance to ride my Butcher/Slaughter combo in wet conditions last week. I wasn't expecting much from the Slaughter but run with low psi it worked shockingly well. Its biggest issue was wet roots, the rest was to be expected. Braking suffered if going straight, and it was drifty till it got on the edges. Once I got used to it, it was downright fun. Keep it rolling quick and it will try to clear out, go slow and it packs up and becomes worthless. Butcher was great as expected, really no downside to it.

I've got 200miles on these already and they are wearing well. I fully expect to get 1000 miles out of them.

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 18:57 Quote
dirtrider76 wrote:
I got a chance to ride my Butcher/Slaughter combo in wet conditions last week. I wasn't expecting much from the Slaughter but run with low psi it worked shockingly well. Its biggest issue was wet roots, the rest was to be expected. Braking suffered if going straight, and it was drifty till it got on the edges. Once I got used to it, it was downright fun. Keep it rolling quick and it will try to clear out, go slow and it packs up and becomes worthless. Butcher was great as expected, really no downside to it.

I've got 200miles on these already and they are wearing well. I fully expect to get 1000 miles out of them.

Hey that's great to hear!
I actually just started a thread in the Specialized forum asking about the Slaughter.
It looks similar in idea to the old Bling Bling or Kenda BBG tires, which I love on my dual slalom bike!
I'm looking to replace my rear Purgatory with the Slaughter and keep my Butcher up front.

I am more of a momentum rider than a power masher so I think this might work good for me.

What rims do you have your Slaughter on? What width?
I am just a bit concerned about the Slaughter squaring up on a wide 35mm rim though..?

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 21:06 Quote
Mine are on KOM23's, kind of narrow but not bad. I don't think you will have issues with 30mm IRW.

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 22:07 Quote
Any thoughts on the WTB Breakout?

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 15:16 Quote
Hans Dampf 2.35" SG opinions?

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 15:17 Quote
Wale wrote:
Hans Dampf 2.35" SG opinions?

Seems to be much love on here for them Wale.

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 15:23 Quote
They any good in front? Mostly see people running them in the rear

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014884
Mobile Version of Website