Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 18:57 Quote
anyone used a shorty in non mddy conditions? how does it grip rocks, roots and harder ground?

Mod
Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 19:08 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
anyone used a shorty in non mddy conditions? how does it grip rocks, roots and harder ground?

Did you read review?

Apparently pretty well, if it's dry.

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 19:11 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

Did you read review?

Apparently pretty well, if it's dry.
yah i read it, i just wanted some more real world feedback

Mod
Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 19:13 Quote
Fair enough, that was one of the most reasonable reviews I've seen yet. I'll ask around, locally as well.

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 19:14 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
Fair enough, that was one of the most reasonable reviews I've seen yet. I'll ask around, locally as well.
Thanks man!

Posted: Dec 14, 2015 at 23:56 Quote
I used a Shorty up front at a place called Antur Stiniog, which is an old disused slate mine. It was also poring with rain, well it is Wales. The grip was really good.

Posted: Dec 16, 2015 at 21:04 Quote
Tonight I mounted my Griffen. Can't say I've said that before.

Posted: Dec 17, 2015 at 1:27 Quote
Cut my Onza Ibex right on the bead so no more tubeless days for it! Thinking of either going with Snakeskin Hans Dampf in the rear with GhettoCore in it or Supergravity Hans Dampf with no GhettoCore in it for my enduro-ish hardtail. Both weigh the same and cost the same pretty much. Which should I do? Or both...?

Posted: Dec 19, 2015 at 5:27 Quote
you should stop being such a hack Razz whats your psi /weight BTW?

Posted: Dec 19, 2015 at 6:20 Quote
iffy wrote:
whats your psi /weight BTW?
Don't know my exact psi as I've an Aldi pump and I use a calibrated finger squeeze to check instead, but last time I checked properly on an electronic gauge it was around 20 rear and 18 or something front. I weigh around 120 pounds including full riding gear

Posted: Dec 19, 2015 at 6:24 Quote
120? How tall are you?

Posted: Dec 19, 2015 at 6:32 Quote
5 foot 8. I'm a skinny lad lol

Posted: Dec 19, 2015 at 6:46 Quote
Damn you small lol

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 19:54 Quote
Currently I have some Super Gravity tires which are 1000 grams each.
I am looking at the grids which are the same weight.
I think the hot Michelin tires are around this weight also.

It seems that if something like an EXO is not enough tire, there is not a big difference between the newer "Enduro" tires and a real downhill tire. A 2.5 DHF is 1180 which is not much of a difference. I have one in a 60d on the back of my big bike and it seems to roll a lot better than my SG Hans Damph Trailstar. I'm down to 180 pounds from my normal 200 so I think I will see if an EXO no longer squirms round, if it does not feel like enough tire I might just try 2.5 DHFs DH front and back, at least in winter. Does this sound reasonable, or would some type of heavy all-mountain tire make the climbs much easier?

Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 20:09 Quote
400g of additional rotating mass is going to be noticeable I would think. I know I noticed riding with my DH tires on but it was awhile ago. I had a DHF supertacky and HR1 Maxxpro on and it was a pretty slow ride on anything but the downs.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.237865
Mobile Version of Website