Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
Posted: Dec 30, 2015 at 20:54 Quote
NWRide wrote:
Currently I have some Super Gravity tires which are 1000 grams each.
I am looking at the grids which are the same weight.
I think the hot Michelin tires are around this weight also.

It seems that if something like an EXO is not enough tire, there is not a big difference between the newer "Enduro" tires and a real downhill tire. A 2.5 DHF is 1180 which is not much of a difference. I have one in a 60d on the back of my big bike and it seems to roll a lot better than my SG Hans Damph Trailstar. I'm down to 180 pounds from my normal 200 so I think I will see if an EXO no longer squirms round, if it does not feel like enough tire I might just try 2.5 DHFs DH front and back, at least in winter. Does this sound reasonable, or would some type of heavy all-mountain tire make the climbs much easier?

Take the 3 tyres I've used, the WTb Vigilante, crossmax charge and super gravity range that all weigh 1000grams to 1150 grams. I recently put some Maxxis Dh rubber on my spare wheels at about 1250 to 1300grams. Comparing the wire bead DH rubber to the Enduro tyres I think they would come out pretty similar in terms of sturdyNess. Years ago I noticed that in the Maxxis range, the difference in weight of wire bead vs Kevlar was about 150grams. I'm not sure if that still applies. Sorry about the Grammer, I'm a bit drunk.

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 12:09 Quote
Has anyone tried baron projekt 2.4? how does it compare to magic mary especially in grip and rolling resistance?

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 12:41 Quote
fr33riding wrote:
Has anyone tried baron projekt 2.4? how does it compare to magic mary especially in grip and rolling resistance?
I assume in Vertstar compound? The Continental Projekt tyres are a use only once tyre.

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 13:38 Quote
i need some help guys!

i`m in need of a new rear tire for my endurbro. has to be stronger than exo casing
i was thinkin of sg magic mary vertstar for the front. no discussion about that Wink
now i thought a rock razor sg would be a good match, but i think i might need more braking traction cauz stuff is steep around here. what do?

sewalbe hanz dampf sg? but not a fan of the dampf

dhr 2 in double down? do they sell em yet?

should be fast rolling, tough but grippy in corners and under braking

cheers!

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 13:48 Quote
Why don't you like the Hans Dampf?

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:

just not a fan of the overall feel. might give it another try though

pretty much narrowed it down to the ibex in end casing, trail king with apex or hanz in sg

what to choose?

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 16:28 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

just not a fan of the overall feel. might give it another try though

pretty much narrowed it down to the ibex in end casing, trail king with apex or hanz in sg

what to choose?
Not the Ibex anyway!

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 16:31 Quote
WTB Vigilante or Trailboss in tough/fast maybe?

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 16:54 Quote
SileTzar wrote:

I'm a big fan of the Vigilante as well.

Posted: Jan 30, 2016 at 17:21 Quote
lifeofloon wrote:
SileTzar wrote:

I'm a big fan of the Vigilante as well.

Myself also. I sometimes take it off but it only takes one or two rides on any other tyre before I put the Vigilante back on the front.

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 9:01 Quote
Thanks for the help so far!

I won't go for the ibex since it is too expensive. 65€ for a tire is too much imho

I heard the conti has problems with the sidewalls, so won't go for them either

It is pretty much down to the hanz in sg or the vigilante in tough fast

Has anyone tried them both and could elaborate on pros/cons please? Which one rolls faster, grips better, more supple ride?

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 9:14 Quote
Vigialnte is comparable to MM and not HD.

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 9:14 Quote
I've ridden both and I prefer vigi's out of the two. The hans is meh in my opinion, depends on your weather conditions I suppose, fairly wet/loamy most of the time here.

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 10:23 Quote
I put a Vigilante Tough/Highgrip on the rear of my Patrol for a dry dh race. Huge amounts of braking grip and traction.

Posted: Jan 31, 2016 at 15:37 Quote
Have not tried the vigilante yet but hear good things about them, will be putting one on the front on of hard tail next. Have the wtb moto TCS am on the back and it has tons of grip.
Can't say about rolling resistance, I have a hard time noticing that difference in tires.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019367
Mobile Version of Website