Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 10:55 Quote
The shorty looks aggressive as hell, might be a little more than I need, though I have heard consistent good things. I was thinking about a DHF and dhr2 combo posibly, or maybe a dhf and hr2 combo. Anyone try these combos? I'm willing to sacrifice a little aggressiveness for efficiency, and vice versa.

Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 11:00 Quote
Shorty front and hr2 rear would be my combo of choice! Currently have a dhr on the rear, it's good but I thing the hr2 would be a better all weather tire! Might take it off and use it as a summer tire with the dhf I have stashed away!

2016 Transition Patrol Large

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 11:13 Quote
The HR2 rear shorty front could be a way to go. I'd like to know how the shorty does in dust, hardpack, and if it's really slow on road. It looks super aggressive but everyone seems to love it

Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 11:42 Quote
sopro13 wrote:
The HR2 rear shorty front could be a way to go. I'd like to know how the shorty does in dust, hardpack, and if it's really slow on road. It looks super aggressive but everyone seems to love it

The Shorty is better than most in dust, feels pretty average on hardpack and rolls a lot faster than you would think it's going to. I feel like it rolls much faster than a Magic Mary for example. I haven't ridden it in the wet yet however.

I wish they made one in the 60a durometer rubber, because my local terrain kills 3c tyres in a very short time.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 11:47 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
sopro13 wrote:

The Shorty is better than most in dust, feels pretty average on hardpack and rolls a lot faster than you would think it's going to. I feel like it rolls much faster than a Magic Mary for example. I haven't ridden it in the wet yet however.

I wish they made one in the 60a durometer rubber, because my local terrain kills 3c tyres in a very short time.
s

Thanks for the feedback man, I'm starting to feel convinced on a shorty hr2 combo.

O+
Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 14:27 Quote
What do you guys think it a shorty/tomahawk combo

Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 14:43 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
What do you guys think it a shorty/tomahawk combo

This is the set up I was tempted by.

Posted: Feb 17, 2016 at 18:07 Quote
Ive liked my ardent f/ crossmark2 r combo.. More traction than the ardent as a rear tire imo but they only come in 2.25 iirc

Posted: Feb 18, 2016 at 4:02 Quote
I'm running a Minion DHF on the front and a Tomahawk on the rear. I have been loving this combo! So much grip in dry dusty terrain, but still rolls very well.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2016 at 18:04 Quote
Has anyone had any time on WTB trail boss or Breakout? I love the vigilante's just wanted to know how the latest WTB stuff is.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2016 at 19:05 Quote
got a trailboss on the back. noticeably faster than the vigi, good grip but probably wouldn't run it on front.

Posted: Feb 20, 2016 at 20:20 Quote
willis26 wrote:
I'm running a Minion DHF on the front and a Tomahawk on the rear. I have been loving this combo! So much grip in dry dusty terrain, but still rolls very well.

I've considered running the Tomahawk in back with the DHR2 up front. I been riding a SS in back but the side lugs are starting to chunk out.

Posted: Feb 20, 2016 at 22:39 Quote
Running trail boss rear and dhf front. Really pleased with the trailboss and I actually like it better than the breakout

Posted: Feb 27, 2016 at 8:04 Quote
sopro13 wrote:
The shorty looks aggressive as hell, might be a little more than I need, though I have heard consistent good things. I was thinking about a DHF and dhr2 combo posibly, or maybe a dhf and hr2 combo. Anyone try these combos? I'm willing to sacrifice a little aggressiveness for efficiency, and vice versa.

I'm in the same situation as you.

Normally I run Ardents as well, and when I lived in the PNW I'd switch to DHF's in the winter. Now I live in Europe though, where the mud is wicked evil and cakes up my Ardents too fast. The DHF's are sticky and clear mud pretty well, but I find them absolute boat anchors when it comes to pedalling, especially on the pavement they use a lot on the "trails" here.

So I too am looking for a good all around tire for the winter, but since most of my riding is XC these days, hoping to find something that rolls a bit faster than DHFs. Ideally I just want an ardent that doesn't cake up so much, since those are fast rolling and grip perfect for me.

Posted: Feb 27, 2016 at 8:25 Quote
Tarekith wrote:
sopro13 wrote:

I'm in the same situation as you.

Normally I run Ardents as well, and when I lived in the PNW I'd switch to DHF's in the winter. Now I live in Europe though, where the mud is wicked evil and cakes up my Ardents too fast. The DHF's are sticky and clear mud pretty well, but I find them absolute boat anchors when it comes to pedalling, especially on the pavement they use a lot on the "trails" here.

So I too am looking for a good all around tire for the winter, but since most of my riding is XC these days, hoping to find something that rolls a bit faster than DHFs. Ideally I just want an ardent that doesn't cake up so much, since those are fast rolling and grip pterfect for me.

Try the WTB vigilante? Clears mud really well and isn't too much of a boat anchor like the DHF and maybe the magic Mary (never tried MM)

Or try specialized butcher? Also clears mud and rolls decent, has similar profile to DHF so you'd be familiar with its characteristics.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013772
Mobile Version of Website