Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 5:39 Quote
Im running a 2.5 DD Agressor on the rear of my spartan, Were having an unusual spell of extremely good weather here at the moment so ive only ridden in dustry dry conditions but thus far its been upto everything i can throw at it! I will probably put the DHF on the rear and a Shorty up top when the weather gets bad.

Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 13:56 Quote
Looking into some tires for my 29 enduro, I want something like 2.6 but with reinforced sidewalls, my rims are 31mm wide, looked at butcher 2.6 and hillbilly 2.6, but Im afraid of the drag, maybe a slaughter 2.6 in the rear? Now it is raining everyday and the dirt isnt dry, a lot of greasy roots and slick rocks, What would you choose?
Another options?

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 14:15 Quote
You could do dh casing minions front and rear, giving more braking traction than a semi slick. That said on my 29er I'm doing e13 lg1 tires which are some of the slowest rolling things. However they grip aggressively.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 14:46 Quote
Another vote for e13. The TRS is pretty robust, but if you want to really be safe do an LG1 out back and a TRS up front.

Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 16:03 Quote
freddiehg wrote:
You could do dh casing minions front and rear, giving more braking traction than a semi slick. That said on my 29er I'm doing e13 lg1 tires which are some of the slowest rolling things. However they grip aggressively.
I will take a look then, thanks for the help

Posted: Jul 1, 2018 at 6:11 Quote
For those who want a fast rolling tire that can handle some abuse I can recommend the tough/fast rolling wtb trail boss.

Slighly slower than a semi slick but has a longer lifespan and can cope with a wider range of conditions. Not good for greasy stuff, but fine for almost anything else. The tough casing has a weight penalty over maxxis exo tyres but has a much beefier sidewall. I was looking for a fast but sturdy allrounder for my hardtail and this feels like it fits the bill after 400km. The weight is pretty much offset by the rolling speed and braking/climbing traction is very good.

Not as grippy as a HR2 or DHR2, but much better than a semislick. Overall a good compromise as a dryish season rear. Got it paired with a Magic Mary front, so have most conditions covered. My rides range from quick 15km blasts on urban trails to 50km mountain ridea with equal parts climbing and descending.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 12:51 Quote
Great, i was looking for a tough casing fast rolling tyre! These are hard to find, thanx!

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 19:50 Quote
ended up with a deal on a pair of 2.6 grid butchers, will try them this weekend

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 9:10 Quote
Can anyone suggest a light weight set of tires for a light weight second set of trail wheels for my Capra that are not too puncture prone, for general trail use? My stock wheelset Has TRSR/TRS+ which are about 1000g each, would like to use something that rolls a lot better but not at the expense of getting flats all the time. What’s a good balance, are 750-800g tires generally still pretty tough or should I be sticking with stuff in the 900-1000 range?

They’ll be going on WeAreOne Insiders, 28mm ID and tubeless.

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 12:05 Quote
Camstyn wrote:
Can anyone suggest a light weight set of tires for a light weight second set of trail wheels for my Capra that are not too puncture prone, for general trail use? My stock wheelset Has TRSR/TRS+ which are about 1000g each, would like to use something that rolls a lot better but not at the expense of getting flats all the time. What’s a good balance, are 750-800g tires generally still pretty tough or should I be sticking with stuff in the 900-1000 range?

They’ll be going on WeAreOne Insiders, 28mm ID and tubeless.

Probably Maxxis Exos. I wouldn't go lighter than those.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 12:49 Quote
Lots of options:

New Kenda Hellkat/Helldiver 2.4 comes in at just over 800g in the ATC model. Anything Maxxis Exo or Schwalbe Snakeskin will sit in that 800g ish bracket. I have been running SS Mary/Razor combo with no problems. Im only 140lbs and don't ride super hard though. A fast rolling combo that comes in at a decent weight and offers good grip is the 2.6 Nobby Nic and 2.6 Rock Razor Apex if you want to go bigger and run something plus-ish (810g and 835g respectively).

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 13:27 Quote
Yes, I was thinking about 2.35 Nobby Nic’s, they’re a claimed 720g. Could go with a 2.6 on the front for an extra 90g so that’s definitely something to consider. I was just worried about how vulnerable to flats they would be.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 14:12 Quote
I'm curious about the new Kendas. Tempted to give those a try!

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 8:05 Quote
New to mountain biking. I thought sorting threw the hundreds of bikes was the hard part. Turns out buying new tires is even harder!

Riding an 18 stumpy pro 27.5
Currently have the stock butcher grid 2.6’s.

What I want:

Light(er)
Grip
Fast
Decent profile ( thinking 2.35-2.6)
Tubliss compatible

Where I ride:

Very hard pack with loose/dusty/pebbly top coat on most of the trail. Lots of roots, none seem to be in the turns though Smile

The kicker:

I like to hit a few faster down hill sections with some rocks. ~20mph ish down hill sections. Not looking for bullet proof, but don’t want a 400g tire either.

Been reading and researching and I’m so lost as to what I need to buy.

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 9:53 Quote
Can’t go wrong here Maxxis Minions, DHF up top and DHR 2 rear, or an aggressor for a faster rolling option

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015628
Mobile Version of Website