Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
Posted: Mar 28, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
Tubeless question: my tires sweat like myself on a hot day. Setup is Maxxis tires and Stans sealant. Is there anything I can do or do I just accept it?
I read that Maxxis highly recommends sealants without ammonia, then again I read that there is only a tiny amount in the Stans sealant which comes naturally with the latex AND shouldn't affect the tires at all.
Thoughts?

photo

I had the same issue with my Victoria tires. Couldnt figure out the issue though. Best of luck!

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 2:21 Quote
currently running a minion 2.5 wt 3c front and aggressor on the rear

works pretty good for me except some loser trails that hi ride

hi am curious about the new michelin wild enduro to replace my minion

does someone here has some input on differences between them

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
New wtb tires look ace

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 6:03 Quote
Just pulled the 27.5 x2.6 dhf and rekon off. Put a 2.6 NN and 2.6 RR on. I have to say, I love this combo for where i ride. Bike just feels less draggy, and more responsive . I know NN's have been a love it or hate it tire like the ardent and high roller2's, but its working great up front. Really surprised by the traction of the RR No issues with losing traction on step technical climbs.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 18:04 Quote
Currently running the ol' tried and true DHF (2.5)/DHR II (2.4 WT) combo, but looking to switch things up. Either DHF/Agressor or (more likely) giving the Goodyear Newton's, but can't seem to find many reviews on them. Anyone have much experience on them?

Currently riding a Canfield Riot (29er) on lots of rocks, roots and generally drier conditions, with the occasional loamy trail mixed in. I don't go looking for wet, muddy conditions, but won't bail on the ride if I came across them.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 18:10 Quote
Anyone running cushcore front and rear? Liking it?

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 at 13:56 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Anyone running cushcore front and rear? Liking it?

I’ve been running it for about two weeks. Replacing Nukeproof ard, which does work however as rim defence, but that’s about it, and they actually stretched in the tyre which makes a rather annoying rattle after a while!

On my first ride I didn’t really notice, however I will say my are is mainly loam roots and small loose rocks.

However I’ve had a few more rides on it now and I’m starting to really like it, I can run lower pressure due to the extra sidewall support they offer, around 16-18 in the front and 18-20 in the rear depending on how I’m feeling. Square edged or direct hits like roots and rocks are muted sometimes you don’t even notice they are there, where I’ve benefited the most is the ability to drop the pressure and get that sidewall support on off camber sections, I’ve found them insane in that department and I don’t think there’s another insert that can do that!

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 22:17 Quote
saskskier wrote:
Currently running the ol' tried and true DHF (2.5)/DHR II (2.4 WT) combo, but looking to switch things up. Either DHF/Agressor or (more likely) giving the Goodyear Newton's, but can't seem to find many reviews on them. Anyone have much experience on them?

Currently riding a Canfield Riot (29er) on lots of rocks, roots and generally drier conditions, with the occasional loamy trail mixed in. I don't go looking for wet, muddy conditions, but won't bail on the ride if I came across them.

One of my riding mates runs 2.6 Newton/Newton ST on his aggro ht and has been very pleased with both their grip and durability/wear rate. Our conditions are usually dry, but this winter has been the opposite. Our local mountain is full of sharp edged rocks, not gentle on equipment generally. They are kinda pricy over here, but they last so much more than say, schwalbe, that they probably come cheaper in the long term.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 1:08 Quote
Looking at WTB Trailboss 2.4 as a rear tire. I am very happy with their tough casing. However:
27.5" TCS Tough/Fast Rolling 1050g TriTec
27.5" TCS Light/Fast Rolling + SG 1071g TriTec

WTB says "Slash Guard features a nylon insert spanning the entire sidewall, from the tire bead to the outer knob. The insert provides additional sidewall protection without adding unnecessary weight."

Im puzzled. In the 29" version the tough casing is only 28g heavier. What is the point of SG?

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 19:52 Quote
Gmoneyog1 wrote:
wowbagger wrote:
Tubeless question: my tires sweat like myself on a hot day. Setup is Maxxis tires and Stans sealant. Is there anything I can do or do I just accept it?
I read that Maxxis highly recommends sealants without ammonia, then again I read that there is only a tiny amount in the Stans sealant which comes naturally with the latex AND shouldn't affect the tires at all.
Thoughts?

photo

I had the same issue with my Victoria tires. Couldnt figure out the issue though. Best of luck!

Haven’t seen maxxis tires weep like that, could be a bad batch. Like others have said, orange endurance will form a skim on the inside and seal it off. Orange stops weeping the best out of anything on the market

You do have to keep an eye on the sealant level a bit more frequently with the orange ime, but it’s a small price to pay for how well it seals up otherwise shitty tubeless setups

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
I'm planning on doing a couple of endurance xc events, 100km and 6 hour type stuff. I'm looking for tires that will be faster rolling than my current DHF/DHR2 combo without going for a complete xc tire like an ikon or aspen. The trails are a nice dark dirt with a high clay content and a lot of grip, but there is quite a bit of pavement and fire road which is why I don't really want to run the minions.

I'm thinking about something like a rekon or forekaster up front and then maybe a ardent race in the back, but am not really sure. My bike is a 160/140mm 29er if that makes any difference. I would prefer to stay with maxxis tires, but am open to other options

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 8:05 Quote
My experience with the Ardent Race as a rear is that it's a fast(ish) tread that's grippier than it looks. It's not as fast as a real XC race tyre, but not very far off. Surprisingly good technical climber. It made my bike feel sportier in acceleration due to the low weight. Unfortunately it only lasted 200km before the sidewall was slashed - the tread was still sharp.

So for what you're looking for I'd say it's a great option as long as there are no sharp rocks involved. I'd go as far as to give it a go as a front in hardpack XC situations.

Another tyre I'd happily recommend as a rear is the Specialized Fast Trak. Almost as grippy but better rolling than the AR. Not up to date with S's current casings though.

Posted: May 15, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
Joeshreds wrote:
I'm planning on doing a couple of endurance xc events, 100km and 6 hour type stuff. I'm looking for tires that will be faster rolling than my current DHF/DHR2 combo without going for a complete xc tire like an ikon or aspen. The trails are a nice dark dirt with a high clay content and a lot of grip, but there is quite a bit of pavement and fire road which is why I don't really want to run the minions.

I'm thinking about something like a rekon or forekaster up front and then maybe a ardent race in the back, but am not really sure. My bike is a 160/140mm 29er if that makes any difference. I would prefer to stay with maxxis tires, but am open to other options
I would get one or those newish maxxis fast rolling minions with large knobs on the side and smallee knobs in the middle that way its grippy on the corners and still fadt rolling.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 6:03 Quote
I just ordered a E13 semi slick to try on rear. I love the cornering bite of original E13 tire for front hoping produces same feel in rear but faster rolling. See how it compares to aggressor I am running now.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:04 Quote
So, I think I may have asked this or something similar before, if so apologies... as a lot of you probably know I've got an older XC-ish hardtail. It's from 2011, and it's still got the stock 2 inch Conti Race Kings. I'm going on bike trips this summer... Leavenworth for almost a week, maybe Whistler, Stevens Pass, possibly Yellowstone but not sure. The Race Kings are acceptable for the majority of my blessed western wa/pnw riding, but with the much drier, gnarlier, higher speed/exposure/risk trails I'd assume I probably need/would definitely benefit from something more capable. The question is, would just getting a knobbier tire or two work, or would a proper AM bike be best?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017010
Mobile Version of Website