Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 10:49 Quote
Anyone have experience with modern day Specialized butcher tires in 2.6 Grid? Picked up a set for my wife at the suggestion of the bike shop guy and they were lighter than the Maxxis options. I am a bit worried that they are a bit harder compound than what she is used to. Any experience?

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 11:47 Quote
Has anyone had any experience between the Maxxis High Roller II and the WTB Trailboss 2.4? I want a tanwall tire for my bike but not at any negative performance. I do mostly aggressive XC trail riding, with dirt jumps as well, and the occasional DH park day

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
Has anyone had any experience between the Maxxis High Roller II and the WTB Trailboss 2.4? I want a tanwall tire for my bike but not at any negative performance. I do mostly aggressive XC trail riding, with dirt jumps as well, and the occasional DH park day

Both good tires- run the trail boss in the back and hr up front. Will be fast rolling. Minion or vigilante would be gripper up front.

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 14:45 Quote
All my bikes are wtb, trail boss rear fast rolling and Vigi front is tons of grip!!

Posted: Jun 1, 2019 at 21:02 Quote
brncr6 wrote:
All my bikes are wtb, trail boss rear fast rolling and Vigi front is tons of grip!!

Was wanting to do that, but the Vigilantes don't come in tanwall, and I want/ need tanwalls... as soon as the Vigi 2.5 come out in tanwall I will buy one and a trail boss 2.4 tanwall for the rear

*cough* @wilderness-trail-bikes *cough*

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 16:03 Quote
So, question for y'all, as I have very little experience with nice stuff. Big Grin You may well know already about my quest for beefier nicer stuff for Southern Utah/CO, Leavenworth, Whistler, etc... basically heavy duty, dry/dusty/rocky, but I live in the PNW so it can't suck in the wet LOL.

TLDR;

Tire Combo:
DHF/DHRII
vs
DHF/Aggressor.

Which and why, for what?
All are 29 x 2.3 3C Exo MaxxTerra. I could also possibly get the DHF in 2.5, but that's less tire clearance and more expensive, so I don't think it's that worth it. Thanks.

Posted: Jun 16, 2019 at 2:19 Quote
DHR2 is better for mixed conditions/wet and slower rolling.
Aggressor is better for dry conditions and faster rolling.

Pick what suits you best.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 2:02 Quote
after almost 4 months using the michelin wild enduro which is very good - super agile and with good support but requiring an aggressive riding
decided to go back to minion DHF 2.5 but maybe because 2.5 and wt now I find my favorite tire slow and not agile!
Who do you think of the DHR2 as front tire ?
being size 2.4 should be much more agile than minion 2.5

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 11:39 Quote
machuqueiro wrote:
after almost 4 months using the michelin wild enduro which is very good - super agile and with good support but requiring an aggressive riding
decided to go back to minion DHF 2.5 but maybe because 2.5 and wt now I find my favorite tire slow and not agile!

I’ve been very impressed with the wild enduros but they wear pretty quick. Mine are just about completely smoked. Not sure what I’m gonna run next.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
machuqueiro wrote:
What do you mean by "requiring an aggressive riding"?
I assume they don't have the same transition gap as DHFs, so do you mean the casing is very stiff?
Wild AM is similar but more supple, no?

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 3:38 Quote
brianl wrote:
machuqueiro wrote:
I assume they don't have the same transition gap as DHFs, so do you mean the casing is very stiff?

The magi-x is the most expensive but actually uses stiffer knobs than the gum-x. They say the more aggressive or advanced riders should use the magi-x as it needs to be pushed hard to get the most out of it, and anyone else the gum-x. I’ve ran both and I’ve found the magi-x to wear a bit faster as it has the softer compound over the stiffer knobs so once the top layer wears it looses a bit of performance. Whereas the gum-x seems to work better for longer as it’s the same compound all the way through

Posted: Jul 14, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
nealy578 wrote:
brianl wrote:
machuqueiro wrote:

The magi-x is the most expensive but actually uses stiffer knobs than the gum-x. They say the more aggressive or advanced riders should use the magi-x as it needs to be pushed hard to get the most out of it, and anyone else the gum-x. I’ve ran both and I’ve found the magi-x to wear a bit faster as it has the softer compound over the stiffer knobs so once the top layer wears it looses a bit of performance. Whereas the gum-x seems to work better for longer as it’s the same compound all the way through

My front and back Gum-x threads are tearing a parts. I just bought a new Magi-x to give it a try.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 2:38 Quote
mine is the gum X

and yes the casing and side knobs is almost TO stiff, the ST rubber from Maxxis and Adix from Schwalbe feel way more soft

for me the good part on the wild ENDURO is because of the stiffer compound make the tire way more faster and with pin point accuracy

have them for 500 km on rocky terrain and still going strong

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 17:18 Quote
machuqueiro wrote:
mine is the gum X

and yes the casing and side knobs is almost TO stiff, the ST rubber from Maxxis and Adix from Schwalbe feel way more soft

for me the good part on the wild AM is because of the stiffer compound make the tire way more faster and with pin point accuracy

Are you saying the wild AM held up better than wild enduros in rocky terrain?

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 2:18 Quote
thumper87 wrote:
machuqueiro wrote:
mine is the gum X

for me the good part on the wild AM is because of the stiffer compound make the tire way more faster and with pin point accuracy

Are you saying the wild AM held up better than wild enduros in rocky terrain?

I've already corrected,mine is wild enduro, never tested the wild Am.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012926
Mobile Version of Website