Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 7:50 Quote
Switched over from the wild enduros front and read on my Bronson to a dhf wt up front and a wt aggressor in the read and wow, felt like I was on ice skates this morning after last nights rain. Very limited traction on the wet root and rocks on section where the wild enduros would just eat it up. I know the dhf/aggressor isn't an ideal wet setup but I didn't expect it to be that bad, most I have had to put my foot down all year. I ran the dhf/aggressor last year and also remembering paying the price on wet rocks. I will give myself some time to put some miles on them and see. The amount of rain we have had in New England this year is mind blowing though, it is typically a dust bowl this time of year but not this year.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
thumper87 wrote:
Switched over from the wild enduros front and read on my Bronson to a dhf wt up front and a wt aggressor in the read and wow, felt like I was on ice skates this morning after last nights rain. Very limited traction on the wet root and rocks on section where the wild enduros would just eat it up. I know the dhf/aggressor isn't an ideal wet setup but I didn't expect it to be that bad, most I have had to put my foot down all year. I ran the dhf/aggressor last year and also remembering paying the price on wet rocks. I will give myself some time to put some miles on them and see. The amount of rain we have had in New England this year is mind blowing though, it is typically a dust bowl this time of year but not this year.

I'm in NE and like Bontrager XR4 up front and XR3 in the back. The Team Issues are pretty soft and grippy and good in the wet. I just got a new version XR3 for the rear that has the XR2 tread in the middle and XR4 knobs on the edges, but haven't ridden it yet. Prob this weekend.

Best part is if you don't like them, you get your money back with zero hassle.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 12:27 Quote
TXBDan wrote:
thumper87 wrote:

I'm in NE and like Bontrager XR4 up front and XR3 in the back. The Team Issues are pretty soft and grippy and good in the wet. I just got a new version XR3 for the rear that has the XR2 tread in the middle and XR4 knobs on the edges, but haven't ridden it yet. Prob this weekend.

I have heard good things about those from a local shop. Good to know. I'm going to play with tire pressures and go from there.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 16:06 Quote
TXBDan wrote:

Please elaborate? Smile

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 3:30 Quote
Gotten some time on Schwalbe MM/HD tire combo in super gravity front and rear, and it's pretty good for my area.
We have a good mix of pretty much everything, loam, sand, rocks and roots, and I think it's a decent set up.
Unfortunately, I can't really think of a single situation yet, where it performs better than my previous set up, which was Michelin Wild Enduros, except for rolling resistance, and with no flow trails and no berms, that just doesn't matter on my enduro bike.

Still undecided on wether to go back to Wild Enduros, or if I should try out Vittoria Mota/Martello.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 16:33 Quote
Losvar wrote:
Gotten some time on Schwalbe MM/HD tire combo in super gravity front and rear, and it's pretty good for my area.
We have a good mix of pretty much everything, loam, sand, rocks and roots, and I think it's a decent set up.
Unfortunately, I can't really think of a single situation yet, where it performs better than my previous set up, which was Michelin Wild Enduros, except for rolling resistance, and with no flow trails and no berms, that just doesn't matter on my enduro bike.

Still undecided on wether to go back to Wild Enduros, or if I should try out Vittoria Mota/Martello.

Yup, hands down the best tires I’ve ever ridden. They will be back on my bike shortly.

Posted: Dec 15, 2019 at 19:02 Quote
Hey all been on Schwalbe MM/NN or HD for the last few years and have been SUPER happy, but recently moved to Florida and am considering a lighter, faster rolling set of tires. I know this may be controversial, but I want tan walls. I am considering Teravail Ehline/ Honcho combo. Anyone have any experience with Teravail? I’m open to suggestions.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
mbc4386 wrote:
Hey all been on Schwalbe MM/NN or HD for the last few years and have been SUPER happy, but recently moved to Florida and am considering a lighter, faster rolling set of tires. I know this may be controversial, but I want tan walls. I am considering Teravail Ehline/ Honcho combo. Anyone have any experience with Teravail? I’m open to suggestions.

My days in the Bay area of Florida which was mostly hard pack clay and a bit of sand, I found a NN up front with a specialized captain to be a great combo for the punchy climbs but still rolled really well.

Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 13:11 Quote
Anyone tried MM/MM instead of MM/HD? I had a bike that had MM trailstar front and HD trailstar back and found that the HD was slipping a bit. But it was the rear tyre so you'd expect it to slip a bit?

(But apart from that small tiny slippage which was quite predictable and manageable, they gave me amazing confidence on gnarly terrain.)

Posted: Dec 17, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
chickenrunz wrote:
Anyone tried MM/MM instead of MM/HD? I had a bike that had MM trailstar front and HD trailstar back and found that the HD was slipping a bit. But it was the rear tyre so you'd expect it to slip a bit?

(But apart from that small tiny slippage which was quite predictable and manageable, they gave me amazing confidence on gnarly terrain.)

Draggy but amazing grip. I put one on the rear when racing when it’s slippy but regular riding I find it a bit energy sapping.

Posted: Dec 18, 2019 at 15:25 Quote
mbc4386 wrote:

You can get alot of the Schwalbe tires with skin wall now.
Also I'm going to try the mm 2.25 soft on my xcish bike that might be an option for you too.

After watching people ride Santos etc in Florida that terrain and mine are not too dissimilar.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005911
Mobile Version of Website