Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
Mod
Posted: Jul 21, 2013 at 12:28 Quote
sadevil wrote:
First time poster in this thread but been watching for a while.

Has anyone had any experience with the WTB Vigilantes? Can't seem to find any reviews where the have actually been used. Plus, it seems that they cannot be found in stock in the US market. Just curious as I'm looking to through my Bronson on the back and replacing the front soon.
Put a 29er set on last week. they look great. I'm a fan. Haven't been able to get out on them yet though.

Posted: Jul 21, 2013 at 14:40 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
sadevil wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with the WTB Vigilantes? Can't seem to find any reviews where the have actually been used. Plus, it seems that they cannot be found in stock in the US market. Just curious as I'm looking to through my Bronson on the back and replacing the front soon.
Put a 29er set on last week. they look great. I'm a fan. Haven't been able to get out on them yet though.
You'll have to give full report when you get some time out on them bad boys.

Posted: Jul 21, 2013 at 18:40 Quote
sadevil wrote:
isaacschmidt wrote:
sadevil wrote:

He has much to report on already. Not to mention all the bike stuff after te beer blogs.

Posted: Jul 21, 2013 at 19:02 Quote
Update on Hans Dampf 27.5, 2.35":
First ride on moon dust dry trail, this trail has the most curves/turns/switchbacks in the area.
They performed flawlessly. Rolled so well and great grip when leaned over. The tacky rubber grabbed ahold of all the roots very well, and only slid when pushing the top layer 1/2" of dust out of the way to get to the hardpack. I'm ready to go tubeless, I'll throw the sealant and valves on the next Q order this week.

Mod
Posted: Jul 21, 2013 at 21:07 Quote
n
macross87 wrote:
sadevil wrote:
isaacschmidt wrote:

He has much to report on already. Not to mention all the bike stuff after te beer blogs.
I'm really bad about all that... Been super busy doing my Clinicals for EMT work, and taking national registry test later this week... Bah. I have some other wheels coming for the Enduro, so I'll have to update that anyhow. I'm so far behind the blog I don't even know where to start. I do have a post in writing though... I sampled many things on my beercation to portland...

Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 14:23 Quote
anyone got a recommendation for tires on hard packed dirt/ mud. Going to be running UST.

Should mention trails have roots and going to be using for AM on an 05 Enduro i'm building up with 26 inch Havens

Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 14:37 Quote
Haven't got got much of a real ride on my trail kings. But out of the box I'm like f 2.2 is super small. On the bike they look bigger. I've road rodent them 28 miles to and from work and they roll nice! The nubs are still on the tire. So looks like they will wear nice. But I was playing around in dry grass and they will grip going real fast and do a dead stop with front brake and not skid. Best 35 bucks ever. The real test is Tuesday and maybe Monday night too.

Posted: Jul 29, 2013 at 11:49 Quote
emac227 wrote:
anyone got a recommendation for tires on hard packed dirt/ mud. Going to be running UST.

Should mention trails have roots and going to be using for AM on an 05 Enduro i'm building up with 26 inch Havens
If the roots will be wet you need to shortlist tires that come with sticky rubber (MK, TK, HD, etc)
I'm running a front Nobby Nic 2.4" Trailstar and it's a pretty decent allrounder, but not much on the wet roots yet.

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 at 14:27 Quote
Hi guys, I know these tires come up a lot in this forum but I'm not sure how far back. Thoughts on a combo of Bonty XR4 front and XR3 rear? Going to be used in wet and dry on a wide range of terrain in south England, tubeless set up. Cheers Salute

Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 12:46 Quote
Need a new rear tyre, looking to replace my Nobby Nic with something different (better). Right now I'm between some form of Maxxis Ardent, Specialized Purgatory Control 2Bliss 2.3 or a Bontrager XR3 or XR4, (both 2.2, tubeless, folding).

Anyone got any advice/experience with these tyres?

*I'll be running the tyre tubeless.

Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 15:33 Quote
Barnseyhcxc wrote:
Hi guys, I know these tires come up a lot in this forum but I'm not sure how far back. Thoughts on a combo of Bonty XR4 front and XR3 rear? Going to be used in wet and dry on a wide range of terrain in south England, tubeless set up. Cheers Salute

If I was you I'd just go xr4 front and rear with winter coming up unfortunately! I've been running them all year round and they've been great up in the peaks

Posted: Aug 9, 2013 at 19:42 Quote
Been running an XR4 up front since Late last year. It works quite well I think. Our mud here is a clay mud and the XR4 worked better than a Nevegal by far. I looked at the XR3 for a rear but settled on a Kenda SB8 due to availability and price from my lbs.

Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 2:31 Quote
got tired of snake bites on my rear XR2 so decided to go tubeless again

couldn't get the bead to sit with a floor pump so decided to go the hairspray and lighter trick, took me a good 10 tries to get it done

trick: put the pump hose on, spray on one spot on the top only, quickly turn the wheel half a turn to help the gas spread then light on the other (top) side, pump fast - it's inflated! Fab

Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 15:51 Quote
So after putting the Nobby Nic Gatestar 2.25 through its paces I am not overly impressed with its longevity. The rubber compound while sticky is soft as butter and the knobs are tearing off. I could see the tire lasting longer if the terrain was all loamy, but throw in some roots with hard bark and some rocks with sharp edges and the knobs start peeling off. Just an FYI, I am running the tire between 24-32 psi depending on what kind of traction and rolling resistance I am looking for

Conversely I have a Hans Dampf Trailstar up front and it barely shows ant signs of wear and it grips and holds like a champ!

Mod
Posted: Aug 10, 2013 at 15:53 Quote
telkey wrote:
So after putting the Nobby Nic Gatestar 2.25 through its paces I am not overly impressed with its longevity. The rubber compound while sticky is soft as butter and the knobs are tearing off. I could see the tire lasting longer if the terrain was all loamy, but throw in some roots with hard bark and some rocks with sharp edges and the knobs start peeling off. Just an FYI, I am running the tire between 24-32 psi depending on what kind of traction and rolling resistance I am looking for

Conversely I have a Hans Dampf Trailstar up front and it barely shows ant signs of wear and it grips and holds like a champ!
I agree, the rear for Schwalbe doesn't last at all... My front tires look near pristine... But the rears get shredded so quickly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008486
Mobile Version of Website