Official XC/AM Tire discussion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official XC/AM Tire discussion
Mod
Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 14:41 Quote
macross87 wrote:
Speaking of, how are you WickedWills working out in terms of life?
decently well, the rear has a ton of cuts in the side knobs, but the center knobs seem to be lasting better, I think it's the shape, they're longer in the direction of force so they aren't torn off as easily. I'll probably throw the HD I have left on the rear on in about 2 weeks. I haven't been riding as much with a bad knee, so they seem much much better!

Posted: Aug 26, 2013 at 15:38 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
Seen a few sets.

I have a non-tubeless Maddy Mary on my heavy wheelset - bought several Triple Nano Big Betties and MMs for very cheap a bit back- keen to replace it with TL-ready Magic Mary.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 0:56 Quote
TheJD wrote:
Any idea when new Schwalbe tires might be out? Magic Mary and Rock Razor.

seen Magic Mary's in stock on one euro dealers b2b a month ago Smile

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 4:40 Quote
Any advice on good AM tyres that will run tubeless on Enve AM 29er rims?

I'm building an all-mountain/trail bike (a 29er, shoot me, I'm 6'5) and I'm going to use Enve AM 29er rims and I want to run tubeless.

I've picked up some Hans Dampf tyres, (Pacestar/Trailstar) but I don't have the wheels yet.

However, I've also just replaced my Maxxis tyres on my hardtail with Rocket Rons, and they are a bstard to mount on my Stans Arch rims. Just incredibly tight. I've also had trouble mounting Racing Ralphs on my wife's 650b Stans Arch EX rims. So much so, that I've just bought the Ardent/Crossmax combo for her bike because I don't think she'd be able to get the tyre off if it punctured.

I was hoping to run the Hans Dampf split tube tubeless with Stans rim tape to protect the tube.

So, the question is, does anyone have experience running Hans Dampf on Enve AM tubeless? How do they mount up? Tight? Or what other AM tyres work well tubeless on Enve AM? Rubber Queens? High Rollers?

Thanks for any advice.

Mod
Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 8:38 Quote
recipher wrote:

I'm building an all-mountain/trail bike (a 29er, shoot me, I'm 6'5) and I'm going to use Enve AM 29er rims and I want to run tubeless.

I've picked up some Hans Dampf tyres, (Pacestar/Trailstar) but I don't have the wheels yet.

However, I've also just replaced my Maxxis tyres on my hardtail with Rocket Rons, and they are a bstard to mount on my Stans Arch rims. Just incredibly tight. I've also had trouble mounting Racing Ralphs on my wife's 650b Stans Arch EX rims. So much so, that I've just bought the Ardent/Crossmax combo for her bike because I don't think she'd be able to get the tyre off if it punctured.

I was hoping to run the Hans Dampf split tube tubeless with Stans rim tape to protect the tube.

So, the question is, does anyone have experience running Hans Dampf on Enve AM tubeless? How do they mount up? Tight? Or what other AM tyres work well tubeless on Enve AM? Rubber Queens? High Rollers?

Thanks for any advice.

Instead of Stans, I'd just run the Gorilla tape method on the Enve rims. It's worked better for out shop with the enve stuff in particular. The only schwalbe tires I've mounted to Enve 29 were the rocket rons, and they were a total b*tch... Super tight, and a pain in the ass... One of my favorite tires tubeless for 29 are the Ardent. I don't know what conditions are, but I find them to be an awesome tire, and mounted up fine for us. Both the 2.4 and 2.25 versions.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 9:17 Quote
recipher wrote:
Thanks for any advice.

Geax TNT bead are the easiest to seal among all I tried, but can be a tight fit. Gato was a very nice tire, grippier than it looks. Goma looks like a good one for front from the picture, never rode it.

No idea about Enve, I do not poop money.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 9:38 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
recipher wrote:

Instead of Stans, I'd just run the Gorilla tape method on the Enve rims. It's worked better for out shop with the enve stuff in particular. The only schwalbe tires I've mounted to Enve 29 were the rocket rons, and they were a total b*tch... Super tight, and a pain in the ass... One of my favorite tires tubeless for 29 are the Ardent. I don't know what conditions are, but I find them to be an awesome tire, and mounted up fine for us. Both the 2.4 and 2.25 versions.

Thanks. I already have the Hans Dampf, though I'm not hopeful they'll be straightforward. I'll give them a try and if they are at all tight, I'll get hold of some Ardents.

Thanks for the headsup on the Gorilla tape. I'll get myself a couple of rolls.

Posted: Aug 27, 2013 at 9:39 Quote
Axxe wrote:
recipher wrote:
Thanks for any advice.

Geax TNT bead are the easiest to seal among all I tried, but can be a tight fit. Gato was a very nice tire, grippier than it looks. Goma looks like a good one for front from the picture, never rode it.

No idea about Enve, I do not poop money.

Change your diet? Smile

Posted: Sep 12, 2013 at 22:14 Quote
Alright, so I tossed the Nobby Nic off the rear, many of the side lugs were tearing off and the center was wearing faster than I would like, and I replaced it with a Hans Dampf Trailstar Snakeskin 2.35 on the rear.

After 7 straight hard days of riding, uphill, cross hill and downhill the rear shows negligible wear. I did find however the snakeskin is quite floppy at pressure less than 25 psi. After experimenting with different pressures in differing conditions I have found that the sidewall rolls over less and the edges bite better between 32 -36 psi yet the tire is still capable of conforming to different trail surfaces providing great traction and still allowing you to pedal without too much rolling resistance.

I am running this tire tubeless on a non UST rim, and have not experienced any burping or pressure loss and have dragged the tire sideways down many roots, taken many drops and jumps and at 245 lbs am not a lightweight.

Hans Dampf > Nobby Nic

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 8:58 Quote
I FINALLY ditched the hans dampf and replaced my front with a high roller II 27.5. Have had an ardent in the back for a while now. The HR/ardent combo is incredible, perfect tire for me and my conditions for sure and the two are a perfect balance. Might not roll quite as fast as the schwalbes I started with, but the much stiffer knobs give a way more consistent feel.

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 11:33 Quote
ironxcross wrote:
much stiffer knobs give a way more consistent feel

twss?

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 12:14 Quote
Hah I had to google twss to see what it stood for... you kids these days.

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 12:22 Quote
So I have a 2009 Giant Trance X4 with 150mm travel in front, and Azonic Outlaw wheels. I currently run with the Specialized Ground Control 2Bliss. I really like 'em, probably have 'em for 1-2 more seasons, but what would be a bit better one that is a bit grippier, but still a hard compound?

Posted: Sep 13, 2013 at 12:44 Quote
ironxcross wrote:
you kids these days.

I am 42 years old.

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 at 7:31 Quote
Axxe wrote:
ironxcross wrote:
you kids these days.

I am 42 years old.

should know better then lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016681
Mobile Version of Website