LAD Thread *Banter...... And shtuff.*

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
LAD Thread *Banter...... And shtuff.*
Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 3:57 Quote
carrot-cruncher wrote:
Completed Tom. What's it for, what are you studying?

Thanks boys.

I'm in my 2nd year at Loughborough University. My course is called sports technology and it's like half engineering, quarter product design and quarter sports science. The idea is that this course leads you into designing products for the sports goods industry e.g. Mountain Bikes, Skis and Snowboards, Garments and Footwear etc by giving you an understanding of not just design and engineering but also ergonomic and biomechanical factors.

I've got an idea for an adjustable geometry bike frame that I might take a year out to design and manufacture, or else pursue it as my final year project. The purpose of the survey is to work out if there's a market for the kind of thing I want to design.

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 5:21 Quote
sounds like a rad degree man! i would hope so considering you have to pay Wink

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 5:32 Quote
Yeah mate the debt these days is no joke

At least in design/engineering fields you get use of huge amounts of equipment and software and a lot of contact hours - you do at least get value for your £9k. Some of my buddies in the business school are paying £9K for 9-12 hours of lectures a week consisting of mostly knowledge they can read straight out a textbook. Not sure that's value for 9 grand - but apparently our business school is one of the best in the country!?

Posted: Feb 12, 2017 at 13:46 Quote
Sounds interesting Tom. Good luck with it!

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 1:55 Quote
Sick! Good luck from me too, loughborough is a really good uni for engineering too!

I think some of the pro uk DH guys do bio mechanics there IIRC from some of their videos.

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 2:40 Quote
tom666 wrote:
Yeah mate the debt these days is no joke

At least in design/engineering fields you get use of huge amounts of equipment and software and a lot of contact hours - you do at least get value for your £9k. Some of my buddies in the business school are paying £9K for 9-12 hours of lectures a week consisting of mostly knowledge they can read straight out a textbook. Not sure that's value for 9 grand - but apparently our business school is one of the best in the country!?

Done mate. Good luck with it.

My business degree was the same. I felt cheated paying £3k per year, never mind fees now being £9k.

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 2:47 Quote
Hey Ian,

Hows work been since the whole wiggle merge if you dont mind me asking?

Posted: Feb 13, 2017 at 3:26 Quote
Pretty manic in terms of my own workload. Back and forth to Portsmouth a fair bit.

We're still running different systems, so sharing data and processes is pretty painful.

It's been interesting though. We're not actually as big competitors as we thought. Wiggle smash soft goods (clothing, etc) CRC smashes hard goods (components, bikes etc) Wiggle is strong in Europe and the Far-East. CRC is strong in the Americas. Both huge in the UK.

The redundancies in NI sucked ass though. I started as kid in CRC's warehouses and worked my way through to the buying department. There won't be a ladder to climb now for any other young kids in the area. It's a big employer around here, so it's hammered the community.

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 at 9:35 Quote
Thanks guys tup

@charlie I don't know about any MTB pros here atm. There's tonnes of Olympians kicking about (if Loughborough University was a country we'd have come 17th in the Olympics lol, above NZ and Canada) but they're mostly here training for athletics, swimming, weightlifting etc. I don't know of any pro mountain bikers.

That's really interesting about CRC and wiggle iian.

I enjoy the fact they both exist. If something isn't in stock on one site it often is on the other and competition is good for prices. I guess you could argue that the combined buying power might bring prices down even more, but I doubt that will happen.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 5:30 Quote
Shieldsy94 wrote:
I gave up riding in the rain

me too, roll on summer! bike has a nice layer of dust on it

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 5:53 Quote
Haha, loving life here in aus! Getting to ride in Feb without worrying about coldness and rain is awesome!

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 7:06 Quote
Yeah, just spontaneously combusting in the heat is the only thing to watch out for.

Posted: Feb 16, 2017 at 10:42 Quote
I still ride when i get time, fairly often at the moment which is good

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 0:32 Quote
I have gone full gay until april as I'm riding road bike and racing a duathlon.

After that it's back to the DH, racing Rheola this year. Can't wait as it's 5 mins away so I can sleep nice and have a good wash before race day.

Posted: Feb 24, 2017 at 9:44 Quote
Rheola is such a sick track! Top turns are so much fun.

Ive entered the spring classic enduro here in whis at the end of may, should be good craic. Just got my van back on the road so might start heading down to the north shore/squamish to get some riding in.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036979
Mobile Version of Website