2012 Specialized Enduro or Commencal Meta or Yeti SB66

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2012 Specialized Enduro or Commencal Meta or Yeti SB66
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 30, 2011 at 13:05 Quote
I am deciding on a new AM bike to replace my 2010 Specialized Enduro.

I am considering either another Enduro, the new Commecal Meta, or the Yeti SB66.

I have had several Specialized Enduro's and have not found anything else that peaked my interested until this year.

Before you say it, I am not considering a Giant Reign or a Trek Remedy or Slash.

Any thoughts?

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 at 0:35 Quote
Coming from a Yeti owner, I can honestly say the sb66 is the bike all others bow to. I have owned special__ed, scott, cannandale, giant, marin, and intense suspension bikes. I now have a small stable of Yeti bikes. Everything Yeti makes is done so with riders in mind. Not customers. Just ride one, you'll see.
Back to the 66 though. I have a 575 and it is the true "do anything" bike. I love it. But I was able to demo the sb66 for an entire afternoon and the best remark I could give to the yeti guys was that it felt exactly like my 575 but it climbed and descended better. Plus more travel. Plain and simple. Plus, if you were opting to buy a complete bike yeti's come with true aftermarket spec. No house brand bar, stem, post, tires etc.
Hope this was helpful.

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 at 0:42 Quote
Have you considered Banshees offerings? Their suspension design is awesome and they make some very cool stuff. I have ridden the older 575 and it was good. I am not a fan of flex stays on bikes though. The SB is a totally different design which looks much better to me. I would like to try riding one.

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 at 18:29 Quote
The Banshee Spitfire looks like a fun bike, but the engineering and technology behind the new Yeti or the Commencal have peaked my interest.

I have had 3 generations of Enduros and until this year, couldn't picture myself on anything else. Some of the new offering however, might make me change my mind.

Posted: Oct 1, 2011 at 19:52 Quote
The Spitfire is the bike I was / may buy. The big draw to it for me is the geometry. Way slacker and DHish than anything else in the 5" category offered with the 66* HA. I have read the suspension accelerates over absolutely everything and the bike is extremely poppy. All those things sound ideal to me along with the fact that its made in Canada.

Posted: Oct 2, 2011 at 13:16 Quote
have a cove hustler myself and have used it for everything dh am xc and general messing about.have owned fair few bikes but nothing has come close.out of your list though i'd go for the yeti a mate of mine just got one and he reckons its the best handling bike he has ever had.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2011 at 14:09 Quote
I have a 2010 Enduro and now you've got me wanting the SB66!!

Posted: Oct 3, 2011 at 14:29 Quote
My dad is currently trying to decide between these 3 bikes aswell except hes looking at a Stumpy instead of enduro. lol
He's more than likely going to go with the Stumpjumper Evo Expert carbon atm because the spec is great, its a great lightweight carbon frame and he's getting a good price on it. The Yeti Sb 66 is ridiculously expensive over here so thats why he was turned off it, let alone the Carbon version which will bump the price up another grand at least.

Posted: Oct 3, 2011 at 14:53 Quote
The Stumpy Evo does look pretty rad, but I've had 5 Enduro's so I figured why break tradition if I stay with Specialized.

I have had 2 carbon Enduro's and they definitly don't disapoint. I am going to go with an aluminum frame this go around b/c of where I ride.

Up until this year, I have not found any other bike besides an Enduro that I could see myself on, but the new Commencal and Yeti have me considering something different.

Has anybody ridden the Commencal Meta AM or SX?

All these bikes are pricey...so I figure what's a couple hundred dollars difference.

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 at 12:20 Quote
I also recommend Banshee. My Rune is my first really nice bike and this has been my only summer with it but its simple, clean and does everything well. Its also different when compared to everything else that everyone has around me. It pedals well, its stiff, strong, can be built up light, and is really affordable. The few people that have ridden, the first thing they said was that it was a really fun bike. When I get a new frame someday I don't think it will be because the bike failed me but more that I like to try different things. I just about like atleast one bike from every company out there, except for Wal-Mart bikes. The next bike will probably be a Knolly.

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 18:49 Quote
The SB66 was by far the best bike I've ever ridden. It climbed extremely efficient, and not just for a 6-inch bike. But it was extremely fun coming down. I rode it expecting to be disappointed because it didn't live up to the hype, but it rode better than the reviews stated.

I just bought a Transition Bandit because I like to pedal and wanted something that was fun coming down. I really like my Bandit, but everything I like about it is amplified in the SB66. I've only ridden the 2011 Enduro to compare it to, but as much fun as that bike was coming down, the Yeti was even more fun. Plus it was fun to pedal up.

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 19:45 Quote
aaronmecham wrote:
The SB66 was by far the best bike I've ever ridden. It climbed extremely efficient, and not just for a 6-inch bike. But it was extremely fun coming down. I rode it expecting to be disappointed because it didn't live up to the hype, but it rode better than the reviews stated.

I just bought a Transition Bandit because I like to pedal and wanted something that was fun coming down. I really like my Bandit, but everything I like about it is amplified in the SB66. I've only ridden the 2011 Enduro to compare it to, but as much fun as that bike was coming down, the Yeti was even more fun. Plus it was fun to pedal up.

ha! I just got a Bandit as well because the bike shop I race for doesn't carry Yeti. but I really want a SB66. my shop is trying and might become a dealer. I'm crossing my fingers. I love my Bandit though.

Posted: Oct 10, 2011 at 11:05 Quote
JRoe wrote:
Orange five!

not in the same league...

Posted: Oct 16, 2011 at 8:50 Quote
I'm also shopping for a AM bike and narrowed it down to the enduro, the sb-66 and the devinci dixon.

I fell in love with the SB-66. There is only one dealer relatively close to here and when I talked to him he says that the sb-66 2011 are sold out and yeti didn't release the exact price lists (and builds) for the 2012 version but apparently there would be quite a big bump in the price for the 2012 version. He also said that yeti doesn't classify canada as in north america but as an international location so the sb-66 enduro (the cheapest one) would sell for close to 5k$. He told me that he could probably get them to drop the prices for him since he isnt all that far anyway but still. So yeah, as I said, nothing is set in stone so don't quote me on that.

That being said, I understand that it is a unique frame and it's supposed to be a godly bike and all but close to 5 grands for a bike that barely has average parts, that's pushing it a bit too far if you ask me. Although I'll be waiting for the exact prices for the sb66 2012, I've been considering the specialized enduro and the devinci dixon now. For 5k you get a devinci outfitted in x0 with all the easton ultralight goodies. And the enduro is like 3k so that leaves a lot of room to upgrade it... but honestly I'm leaning toward the mid range version of the dixon. It's made close to where I live, lifetime warranty and the suspension mechanism isnt as exotic so it's easier/cheaper to replace bearings.

I was wondering why you'd go for something else than your enduro if you liked it so much? Do you feel it's letting you down or you just want to try something different?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013876
Mobile Version of Website