Cracked my 2012 operator frame!

PB Forum :: Kona
Cracked my 2012 operator frame!
Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 9:00 Quote
maggsy wrote:
I want to buy new, get a warranty and you know that everything works 100% with no issues. I have started another post looking for ideas so don't want to hi-jack this one. From what I can gather the konas are great bikes with a good spec. Yes a frames snapped but I'm sure every other manufacture has had frames, forks, bars break. At least you get s lifetime warranty, plus I've not been ridding long so won't be pushing it fully for another few months at least. Any other reviews or info appreciated. Cheers
If I am correct you only get lifetime warranty on their bikes if you live in canada or america.
Please correct me If I am wrong!

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 9:33 Quote
According to the uk website itlufetime warranties for 2009+ bikes

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 9:50 Quote
maggsy wrote:
According to the uk website itlufetime warranties for 2009+ bikes
Thats good for you!
A Kona would proabably be better for you then

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 12:52 Quote
maggsy wrote:
I want to buy new, get a warranty and you know that everything works 100% with no issues. I have started another post looking for ideas so don't want to hi-jack this one. From what I can gather the konas are great bikes with a good spec. Yes a frames snapped but I'm sure every other manufacture has had frames, forks, bars break. At least you get s lifetime warranty, plus I've not been ridding long so won't be pushing it fully for another few months at least. Any other reviews or info appreciated. Cheers

I've got a 2012 Operator DH and love it. Such a fun bike to ride. The weight feels nicely distributed and it's got a real plush feel. I love it. It was between the Operator and the 2011 Devinci Wilson XP and 2010 Demo 8 (all about the same price because both 2010's were on sale). I have a Devinci, so I was inclined to buy the Wilson, but I just seemed to like the Operator more. I liked the feel and look of it better for whatever reason.

As for the cracking issue, Kona says it was a manufacturing issue that has been resolved. There are lots of race teams out there using and abusing the Operator that don't seem to have had any problems with cracking. It also has a lifetime warranty on the frame. But when you buy any bike get on one and try it out before you buy.

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 16:50 Quote
Clearly the cracking issue isnt solved, mine was a 2012

Posted: Nov 10, 2011 at 19:31 Quote
DH bikes crack, it's part of the game.

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 at 0:15 Quote
Tmackstab wrote:
Yes they do but he only had his 2 weeks.....Now thats the problem

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 at 4:29 Quote
Downhill340 wrote:
Tmackstab wrote:

Two months, 40 plus days of 10-15+ runs at highland, it had some ride time on it, bit it still shouldnt have broken how it did

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 at 7:37 Quote
jtm12090 wrote:
Downhill340 wrote:
Tmackstab wrote:

Two months, 40 plus days of 10-15+ runs at highland, it had some ride time on it, bit it still shouldnt have broken how it did
Oh dont know why i said 2 weeks :/
but yeh it still shouldnt have broke

Posted: Nov 16, 2011 at 13:37 Quote
Kona does have a lifetime warranty since 09 on all of its bikes for the first owner. Some conditions do apply, but theyre all out there on the website.

And yes, all DH bikes crack. If you dont crack it, youre riding too slow.

As for the bike in the picture, it might be a previous crash or hard landing that damaged it, and a few hits later it cracked. Also, shuttle runs with the front hanging out of the pickup truck can damage the downtube..

The awesome thing in this story is, you got a brand new frame, and howlong did you have to wait?

Posted: Nov 16, 2011 at 13:59 Quote
jarno wrote:
Kona does have a lifetime warranty since 09 on all of its bikes for the first owner. Some conditions do apply, but theyre all out there on the website.

As for the bike in the picture, it might be a previous crash or hard landing that damaged it, and a few hits later it cracked. Also, shuttle runs with the front hanging out of the pickup truck can damage the downtube..

The awesome thing in this story is, you got a brand new frame, and howlong did you have to wait?
No, It's common, But they're not supposed too.

Posted: Nov 16, 2011 at 14:03 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
jarno wrote:

Well they will all crack eventually lets face it....

But .... They should last at least 5 years of constant hard riding.

And yes they shouldnt crack

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 3:13 Quote
Downhill340 wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
jarno wrote:

Well they will all crack eventually lets face it....

But .... They should last at least 5 years of constant hard riding.

And yes they shouldnt crack

Define hard riding in no less than 500 words,seriously though most dh bikes are never actually used for dh and i have seen lot's of konas hucked to flat on a regular basis,this is a sure fire way of killing any frame as the forces transmitted through the frame are all wrong.

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 4:19 Quote
jarno wrote:

About three weeks from the time I dropped it off at the shop to when I picked it up

Posted: Nov 17, 2011 at 22:06 Quote
Downhill340 wrote:
Tnerb888 wrote:
It isn't the one downhill run that breaks it. It's the constant impacts time and time again casing jumps bottoming out suspension. You take anything and hit it with a hammer enough times and it's gonna break!
Well its less than a year old so it shouldnt of broken.

No excuse here from Kona just either too light or lazy designing.

Do they do stress testing?

Have you been onto Kona are they going to do anything?

i broke a brand new frame within a mounth of riding . blk markt riot. some frames just have weak spots.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.031981
Mobile Version of Website