X-9 rear deraillur... short cage vs. long cage vs. medium

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
X-9 rear deraillur... short cage vs. long cage vs. medium
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 19:35 Quote
Aggressive freerider with Whistler downhill bombing. Look for a good X-9 deraillur to go with my X-9 shifter. Don't really know which is better tho, short, long, medium. You would think short would be good for avoiding rocks but I've heard of some shifting problems. Long is nice for easy shifting but again, problems with the damn rocks and logs. Medium seems the best?? any help

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 21:14 Quote
1) what is you cassette sizing on the rear? 11-34? 12-26?...
2) what is your chainring set-up on the front? single? double? triple?... if double or triple, give sizes.

from there.. someone can tell you what cage lenght... the broader gear range, the longer cage you need to allow for all the change in chain length... you want the shortest you can get away with.

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 22:07 Quote
Cassette not really sure, 8 speed... I'm gonna guess 11-34. Single in front, 34 tooth. Of course I'll have to upgrade cassettes and chain. Any suggestions?

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 22:14 Quote
Well, you are going to NEED a medium cage if you have 2 rings up front and waht did you say... 8 in the back? how does that work with X.9? anyways, when you get your new cassettes, update.

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 22:15 Quote
I run a medium cage, due to running a dual chainring setup up front. I've never hit the cage on anything, and shifts great, whereas the long cage I had was constantly twisted or bent. Note: this is a Saint, but clearance for an X-9 will be the same/similar.

If you can run a short cage, do it. From the cogs/ring you stated, I think the capacity should be fine on a short, but i'll double check.

O+
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 22:17 Quote
i run a short cage and i have a road cassette and a 34tooth in the front

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 22:21 Quote
you anly need a short cage if ur running a road cassete if not then get a medium
the long is kind of big

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 22:46 Quote
my lbs owner runs a short cage x0 on a triple-ring blur xc...

generally a short cage = better chain tension, clearance, crisper shifting (stiffer, smaller cage).

most people want the shortest cage they can get away with, like someone else mentioned earlier.

and as a general rule of thumb:

1 chainring -> small cage
2 chainrings -> medium cage
3 chainrings -> long cage

because the longer your cage, the more chain slack your derailleur can take up, although you can get away with a smaller cage but sacrifice certain (usually awkward and unused anyway) gearing combinations.

i'm personally waiting for sram to release a small cage x7.

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 22:53 Quote
creamsoda89 wrote:
my lbs owner runs a short cage x0 on a triple-ring blur xc...

generally a short cage = better chain tension, clearance, crisper shifting (stiffer, smaller cage).

most people want the shortest cage they can get away with, like someone else mentioned earlier.

and as a general rule of thumb:

1 chainring -> small cage
2 chainrings -> medium cage
3 chainrings -> long cage

because the longer your cage, the more chain slack your derailleur can take up, although you can get away with a smaller cage but sacrifice certain (usually awkward and unused anyway) gearing combinations.

i'm personally waiting for sram to release a small cage x7.

IF you run a short cage with 3 rings, you HAVE to watch your gear combos ALL THE TIME. Otherwise the chain WILL go to full tension when the suspension is compressed, and damage components. Not recommended!!!!!!

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 17:32 Quote
so, if i have a single ring in the front that it kinda on the smaller side (32?) is it ok to run a short cage?

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 17:59 Quote
Yes. Capacity for the short cage is still 32t with a max 34 tooth rear. Since you only have a single up front you only need to figure out rear capacity.

Assuming you have a 34-11 cassette:

34 - 11 = 23 teeth of chain wrap. You will be fine.

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 20:05 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Yes. Capacity for the short cage is still 32t with a max 34 tooth rear. Since you only have a single up front you only need to figure out rear capacity.

Assuming you have a 34-11 cassette:

34 - 11 = 23 teeth of chain wrap. You will be fine.
couldnt tell you for sure what it is in the back...just know that its not small, but i plan to get a road casette

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 20:23 Quote
You can get away with a short cage, but I have stopped running x.9 short cages because the tensioner part is made of plastic on the short cage, and I broke two of them, but the medium and long cage are made of metal

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 at 23:37 Quote
QUESTION

I got a SRAM X9 derailer and a Shimano SLX rear derailer. How would I know if I have a small, med, or large cage derailer? How do I determine that? do I measure or look for a i.d. number?

Posted: Jun 11, 2012 at 11:30 Quote
ErwinR wrote:
QUESTION

I got a SRAM X9 derailer and a Shimano SLX rear derailer. How would I know if I have a small, med, or large cage derailer? How do I determine that? do I measure or look for a i.d. number?

did you read any of the info above?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011248
Mobile Version of Website