Upgrade current frame or buy new?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Upgrade current frame or buy new?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Oct 4, 2011 at 13:32 Quote
hi,

okay my problem is that my mate is selling a Kona Cowan DS frame, but i do quite like my bike how it is (despite weighing a tonne and looking a tad shit)

the choice is, do i buy the cowan frame, or spend money upgrading my current bike? SS kit. decent tensioner, new tires, pedals grips etc.

Help would really be appreciated, pics of my bike on my profile, if you want pics of the cowan frame ask Salute

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 at 16:24 Quote
If you want full sus then go for cowan frame sell your old one for a few bob and get a SS kit with tensioner. you should at least break even with weight or even loose it, remove front brake aswell for even more weight loss. At the end of the day it depends on the condition of the frame and how much he's selling it for.

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 at 23:33 Quote
Cowan already has SS dropouts, and it's scratched to f*ck and has been welded twice

Posted: Oct 4, 2011 at 23:49 Quote
tomcrowther wrote:
Cowan already has SS dropouts, and it's scratched to f*ck and has been welded twice
STAY WELL AWAY FROM ANY FRAME THAT'S BROKEN AND BEEN RE-WELDED

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 0:16 Quote
My mates been riding a cracked howler for months and doing some fairly heavy stuff and it's doing fine.

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 2:33 Quote
tomcrowther wrote:
My mates been riding a cracked howler for months and doing some fairly heavy stuff and it's doing fine.

It will break, probably when he most needs it to stay in one piece. if the cowan has been re-welded then the new weld wont be as strong as the original one. Keep your current bike and upgrade and enjoy.

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 2:38 Quote
it was TiG welded though? and that seems to be what people on here argue about (that and heat treating)

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 3:11 Quote
It's still a weak point, it might be perfectly fine at the end of the day, but it might not.

Where are the welds? Avoid it like the plague if it's been welded in the same place twice.

But it sounds like the frame has taken alot of abuse over the years and if it's needed welding twice, how long will it be till the next one?

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 3:18 Quote
One on the chainstay near the axle and another at the other end of the chainstay pretty much next to the tire

Posted: Oct 5, 2011 at 4:44 Quote
Nobble wrote:
tomcrowther wrote:

This

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 14:20 Quote
jessejones wrote:
Nobble wrote:
tomcrowther wrote:

This
Jess whaat you saying! Welds are spot on!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036557
Mobile Version of Website