Tyres, do they need replacing?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tyres, do they need replacing?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 7:57 Quote
Been looking into why my brakes aren't working as well as they should, I have deducted that it could be the tyres. The tread looks very low, could this be a the problem? They are Continental Mountain King 2.2, and just under a year old?
photo
photo

If they do need replacing what should I change them for? I ride my bike pretty much once a week, do cross country and bit of downhill. I want a tyre that is a all rounder (I know that you can't get a tyre thats best at doing everything, but I want one thats as close as possible) It should be good for all of the uk's weather conditions!

I have thought about the Maxxis Minion or the Ardent, any opinions on these?

Don't really want to spend much more than £30 a tyre.

Thanks
Chris

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 9:32 Quote
gibsonc wrote:
Been looking into why my brakes aren't working as well as they should, I have deducted that it could be the tyres. The tread looks very low, could this be a the problem? They are Continental Mountain King 2.2, and just under a year old?
photo
photo

If they do need replacing what should I change them for? I ride my bike pretty much once a week, do cross country and bit of downhill. I want a tyre that is a all rounder (I know that you can't get a tyre thats best at doing everything, but I want one thats as close as possible) It should be good for all of the uk's weather conditions!

I have thought about the Maxxis Minion or the Ardent, any opinions on these?

Don't really want to spend much more than £30 a tyre.

Thanks
Chris
Your tires are toast.

On-One has some bargains on Schwalbes. Look at the Alberts

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 10:01 Quote
Ok thanks, not what I wanted to hear! Do you think they will even get me through the winter? Im quite cross how they haven't lasted long at all!

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 10:03 Quote
those conti's don't seem to last very long, my mates were toast very quickly Confused

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 10:06 Quote
gibsonc wrote:
Ok thanks, not what I wanted to hear! Do you think they will even get me through the winter? Im quite cross how they haven't lasted long at all!
I think you got good wear from the tires. They are still usable but you are already complaining about a lack of traction. Will only be worse when it turns wet and mucky.

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 10:14 Quote
anyone had any experience with maxxis tyres? How long do they last?

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 10:17 Quote
i use maxxis on my downhill bike and they're really good

i get about 6months out of their Soft compound riding 4 or 5 times a week
when i wasn't as into biking i had a pair on my XC bike in their hard compound and they lasted about 18months riding about 1 or 2 times a week

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 10:25 Quote
im runnin maxxis highrollers front and back and there great in mucky wet terrain..even better on the dry... first time trying them only on 3 weeks so dunno about durability

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 10:30 Quote
Another one for Maxxis Tyres.

You can get quite a range of tyres for different terrain.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/BrandCategory.aspx?BrandID=124&CategoryID=731

Have a look at this. ^^^

I swear by them though. Have a Summer set (Minions), Wet (Swampthings) and pure sh*t weather (Wetscreams).

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 11:46 Quote
Cheers guys Smile Think I might go with some maxis high rollers, good price on chain reaction cycles. The question is though double vs single ply? Get quite a lot of thorn punctures where I ride, or just go with single ply and thicker inner tubes?

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 11:56 Quote
gibsonc wrote:
Cheers guys Smile Think I might go with some maxis high rollers, good price on chain reaction cycles. The question is though double vs single ply? Get quite a lot of thorn punctures where I ride, or just go with single ply and thicker inner tubes?

dual ply is only really proctecting from nip punctures from thorns

I'd go single ply (much lighter) and take a look at 'Slime Tubes' (tubes with sealant in them) Big Grin

Posted: Oct 8, 2011 at 12:13 Quote
uttanutta12 wrote:
gibsonc wrote:

dual ply is only really proctecting from nip punctures from thorns

I'd go single ply (much lighter) and take a look at 'Slime Tubes' (tubes with sealant in them) Big Grin

I've tried slime, and not had much success with it! But thanks anyway Smile

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 22:39 Quote
+1 on Maxxis

I got their High Rollers in 90a Compound....they still got quite a bit of tread left...and they're on a daily rider 365 days of the year.....had them since 2009 and they're still going.

I rotate them every month or so to make it even wear....though come next year i think i'l swap out to a new pair.

I've als ogot a Pair of Michelin Xtreme Mountains (Red tread, and similar tread pattern to the High Rollers)that I had back in 2007 and ran till 2009 and they STILL got a ton of tread on them...only reason I don't run them now is the red tread doesn't go well with my blue frame and white forks

Posted: Oct 10, 2011 at 6:16 Quote
Do they make them in a super hard 90a or have you typo'd the rating for Maxxpro which is 60a?

just curious Razz

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011929
Mobile Version of Website