Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 3:37 Quote
if you youse all the shock stroke trek is telling everything is fine Wink

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 5:39 Quote
Mayzei wrote:
Hi all, I've had my Remedy 9 RSL for a few weeks now and have noticed something strange. The rear shock does not use it's full shaft stroke, even when there is no air in the shock. It bottoms out ~1cm from where the sag indicator would drop off the bottom of the shaft. I have spoken with the bike shop who say it measures correctly (57.5mm to where it bottoms out), but all previous experience and my slight mechanical knowledge tells me it's not correct... why would they supply a longer shaft than it uses?

Pic of where it bottoms below:
https://imgur.com/a/fhbpY

I'd just like to get to the bottom of this (hahaha), any help would be great. My new bike paranoia is kicking in hard.

Cheers

You will never get it to fall completely off. Trek uses that sizing so they can buy stock metric sized strokes. If it was a trunnion mount like years previous it would allow the ring to come off the shock. However in attempt to open up the after market options trek went with a standard mount and odd the shelf sizing. Personally I like it because you can put cane creeks and other aftermarket shocks on which was not possible before.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 6:27 Quote
Thanks, very helpful. Makes sense too!

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 8:03 Quote
Hello all, I'm looking to purchase a Trek Remedy 9 in the upcoming weeks. However I am unsure of frame size. I went to Bike Park Wales over the winter and used one of their large 2017 demo Remedys of the large variety, but felt like it was a little too big for me, the reach was too long. However BPW don't advertise what frame size their bikes are as Trek does (15.5, 17.5, etc.), just small, medium or large.

So I need some help choosing which frame size to buy now. I am 5"9'. If it helps I have demoed a medium SC Nomad in the past and that fit me just fine. You may just say to try one at a LBS, but all of the ones I have called don't have any on the shop floor, but I know a company that has 17.5 and 18.5 in stock in their warehouse, but they won't bring them to the shop just for me to try sizing.

Sorry for this being wordy.
Thanks

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 9:37 Quote
Rexcourage wrote:
Hello all, I'm looking to purchase a Trek Remedy 9 in the upcoming weeks. However I am unsure of frame size. I went to Bike Park Wales over the winter and used one of their large 2017 demo Remedys of the large variety, but felt like it was a little too big for me, the reach was too long. However BPW don't advertise what frame size their bikes are as Trek does (15.5, 17.5, etc.), just small, medium or large.

So I need some help choosing which frame size to buy now. I am 5"9'. If it helps I have demoed a medium SC Nomad in the past and that fit me just fine. You may just say to try one at a LBS, but all of the ones I have called don't have any on the shop floor, but I know a company that has 17.5 and 18.5 in stock in their warehouse, but they won't bring them to the shop just for me to try sizing.

Sorry for this being wordy.
Thanks

I'm guessing their large was the 19.5, but who knows. I can't imagine them bringing in the 17.5, 18.5, and 19.5. They probably just went for the 17.5 and 19.5. Can you just give them a shout?

What is your current setup? Are you happy with the stack and reach? I'd suggest using that as a guide to what size Remedy you need.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 12:36 Quote
gatorfireman wrote:
Mayzei wrote:
Hi all, I've had my Remedy 9 RSL for a few weeks now and have noticed something strange. The rear shock does not use it's full shaft stroke, even when there is no air in the shock. It bottoms out ~1cm from where the sag indicator would drop off the bottom of the shaft. I have spoken with the bike shop who say it measures correctly (57.5mm to where it bottoms out), but all previous experience and my slight mechanical knowledge tells me it's not correct... why would they supply a longer shaft than it uses?

https://imgur.com/a/fhbpY
I'd just like to get to the bottom of this (hahaha), any help would be great. My new bike paranoia is kicking in hard.

Cheers

You will never get it to fall completely off. Trek uses that sizing so they can buy stock metric sized strokes. If it was a trunnion mount like years previous it would allow the ring to come off the shock. However in attempt to open up the after market options trek went with a standard mount and odd the shelf sizing. Personally I like it because you can put cane creeks and other aftermarket shocks on which was not possible before.

Here is another 2017 Remedy 9 RSL, that the owner tells me the ring definitely falls off from the shock using all the shaft:
http://imgur.com/3jW4wJl
Where did you get your information? Can somebody else with the same model chime in please, should be pretty easy to check. Could it be that his and mine have a different shaft on them (maybe from a diff batch of bikes)?

Cheers.

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 12:43 Quote
Mayzei wrote:
gatorfireman wrote:
Mayzei wrote:

http://imgur.com/a/1YpkR

Cheers

Here is another 2017 Remedy 9 RSL, that the owner tells me the ring definitely falls off from the shock using all the shaft:

Where did you get your information? Can somebody else with the same model chime in please, should be pretty easy to check!

Cheers.

Gatorfireman is correct - this is all because they now use a metric shock, so lower part is longer than it technically needs to be. My slash actually has a bottom out indicator that is marked on the lower part of the shock, and it's about 1cm from the end. My Fuel EX is the same way. Mayzei - your buddy probably just brushed it or grabbed the shock without knowing and pushed it off the bottom. Or, it's just loose and slid off. If the shock is pushing it off then something is seriously wrong!

Posted: Apr 26, 2017 at 13:00 Quote
ndirienzo wrote:
Mayzei wrote:
gatorfireman wrote:

Where did you get your information? Can somebody else with the same model chime in please, should be pretty easy to check!

Cheers.

Gatorfireman is correct - this is all because they now use a metric shock, so lower part is longer than it technically needs to be. My slash actually has a bottom out indicator that is marked on the lower part of the shock, and it's about 1cm from the end. My Fuel EX is the same way. Mayzei - your buddy probably just brushed it or grabbed the shock without knowing and pushed it off the bottom. Or, it's just loose and slid off. If the shock is pushing it off then something is seriously wrong!

Okay cheers. Turns out his was bought in Oz around 6 months back, so must just be a different batch of bikes.

Posted: Apr 27, 2017 at 12:07 Quote
Mayzei wrote:
ndirienzo wrote:
Mayzei wrote:

Cheers.

Okay cheers. Turns out his was bought in Oz around 6 months back, so must just be a different batch of bikes.
Stroke length will be on the trek website. If you remove all the air and compress the shock fully, the measurement from the o ring up to the bottom of the rubber seal at the top of the shaft should be the same measurement.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2017 at 20:12 Quote
Finally got the new rig built up. I am so hyped on this bike.
A couple of upgrades:
- swapped the brakes for Guide RSC
- went with a Chromag BZA carbon bar and Chromag grips.
- ditched the SE4's for the SE5's. I rode those last year on my Remedy and loved them.
- I had a spare Stealth Reverb 150mm travel post so I installed that instead of the Bontrager.
- My outta shape ass is gonna start with a 28t chainring in the front. Can always go back to 32t if I'm ever feeling fit enough.

First ride is this weekend. Can't wait

2017 Trek Remedy 9.8 XL

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 1:21 Quote
i am 173-175 cm
what size of slash 9.9
will fit better? M or L?
can't find geometry for this bikes
thx

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 13:53 Quote
wowee tell us more about that shock, friend? Did you build up from a frame?

Posted: Apr 30, 2017 at 14:31 Quote
Pennyrisk wrote:

Built her up with the lBS, shocks from TF tuned in England (ohlins TTX) they changed the size to fit the odd size of the remedy

Posted: May 1, 2017 at 12:29 Quote
JoeBowden wrote:
Pennyrisk wrote:

Built her up with the lBS, shocks from TF tuned in England (ohlins TTX) they changed the size to fit the odd size of the remedy
Looks like the new Remedy has better shock clearance than the old one. Don't think that would work in my 29er. Going to call them about shock options anyway.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018384
Mobile Version of Website