Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
Bentjammer wrote:
So with all the interest in 29/27.5 wheel setups recently, has anyone flipped the chip to the steep mode on their Slash and swapped in a 27.5 rear? Wonder what the BB height difference would be and what the head angle would change to.

If the BB isn't too low with the smaller wheel, it would be interesting to see how differently it handled. Might work well for smaller riders on the Slash.

I have I just haven’t taken any measurements. I’ll try to do it again and share the measurements

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 11:42 Quote
What are your stem spacers set up looking like Slash riders?

I was riding stock 3 below the bar, but I switched to 2 today to maybe gain more control in corners (I also have 170 fork instead of stock 160). Weather didn't let me do the testing yet. :S

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
Raxik wrote:

I was riding stock 3 below the bar, but I switched to 2 today to maybe gain more control in corners (I also have 170 fork instead of stock 160). Weather didn't let me do the testing yet. :S

I always run at least one spacer above the stem and maybe two spacers above if the terrain is especially mellow or twisty. I found it hard to get enough weight on the front if the bars where in the highest position.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
Raxik wrote:

I’m 6-6’1 on a large and run 1 spacer under the stem. Feels really good for me most part. I actually have a race coming up and I’m trying no spacers to see if I can’t get a little better climbing position.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 13:58 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:
Bentjammer wrote:
So with all the interest in 29/27.5 wheel setups recently, has anyone flipped the chip to the steep mode on their Slash and swapped in a 27.5 rear? Wonder what the BB height difference would be and what the head angle would change to.

If the BB isn't too low with the smaller wheel, it would be interesting to see how differently it handled. Might work well for smaller riders on the Slash.

I was also thinking about this, my brother has a remedy so I may nab one of his wheels and give it a go. Currently torn between going back to 27.5 or upgrading my Slash so this might be a nice middle ground.

I think it works out as a 12mm drop in BB height vs the standard high position, which would be a 5mm drop compared to the low position. (I think the maths is correct here)

So if moving to the high position and installing the 27.5 wheel, wonder how many degrees slacker will the head angle be AND will it make the handling better or worse? Worry that if your maths are accurate that 5mm is too much drop for an already low BB - but perhaps additionally changing to 170mm cranks (from 175) negates that?

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 14:49 Quote
So I just threw the 27.5in wheel on. Keep in mind my testing was with a 27.5x2.8in tire and with the Mino Link in the steep position. The head tube angle is 64°. BB height (From the center to the ground) is 349.25mm. And the crank in the lowest position was 152.4mm from the ground. Doesn’t seem to alter the geometry too much, honestly I don’t see a need for it. The designers designed the bike with a 29in wheel in mind and throwing a 27.5 in the rear won’t (hypothetically) make the bike any better. The reason Martin Mayes won is not the fact he has 29/27 but just his skill level and being fast as ****
photo

photo
P.s Apparently you can fit a 2.8 with plenty of clearance?

P.P.s these are all rough measurements with my opinion thrown in for good measure

O+
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
purplenurples wrote:
Just bought a super deluxe ultimate to put on my 2019 remedy 9.9.

230x57.5, BUT the shock has a standard upper eyelet and a bearing lower eyelet. Any experience with converting a more standard shock to a remedy which is setup with trunnion mounting?

I called a few shops and responses have ranged from not knowing to advising me to buy a trunnion shock.

Any experience?

I do not believe you will be able to make that shock work with the lower bearing. If it had standard eyes on both ends it would be no problem. But I don't believe anyone makes hardware for the lower bearing to work with the offset shock mounts the Remedy/Slash require. You may be able to have custom hardware made but that will probably be more trouble than its worth. Its very easy to find the proper length shocks with the lower bearing, its harder to find them with standard eyes on both ends.

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 21:29 Quote
shockwave wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
Anyone had experience of using the new Rockshox MegNeg on a Slash yet? Currently weighing up options on going MegNeg in the back vs super deluxe coil. I want to get some increased small bump sensitivity but I also don't want to be bottoming out all the time.

Advantage of the MegNeg is I might also be able to afford a Vorsprung Smashpot for my forks.

Any info on how straight forward installing the MegNeg is would also be appreciated, likewise with the smashpot.

Cheers

I got the tractive valving from Vorsprung done on my Super Deluxe. So far, I am very impress. Very sensitive to small bump, no more spiking.

Yes i have megneg on mine best upgrade you can do for the rear shock before going to a while new rear shock. currently running 2 bands in it and it stops the bottom out issues and makes it much more sensitive. Rockshox make a specific 57.5mm one that you will need

Posted: May 13, 2019 at 22:41 Quote
Rusnak wrote:
So I just threw the 27.5in wheel on. Keep in mind my testing was with a 27.5x2.8in tire and with the Mino Link in the steep position. The head tube angle is 64°. BB height (From the center to the ground) is 349.25mm. And the crank in the lowest position was 152.4mm from the ground. Doesn’t seem to alter the geometry too much, honestly I don’t see a need for it. The designers designed the bike with a 29in wheel in mind and throwing a 27.5 in the rear won’t (hypothetically) make the bike any better. The reason Martin Mayes won is not the fact he has 29/27 but just his skill level and being fast as ****
photo

photo
P.s Apparently you can fit a 2.8 with plenty of clearance?

P.P.s these are all rough measurements with my opinion thrown in for good measure

Martin Maes also put a 29er Fork and front wheel (and possibly a custom angle hheadset) on his 27.5" designed Force, so while you changed the booty bits, he changed the front bits (now this brings in a mans age old question "am I a T or A man? Which do I pump up/tone down?" lol).....but yes, he is fast as fook and Mr Hill is gonna struggle for a ThreePeat this year.

O+
Posted: May 13, 2019 at 22:51 Quote
LAballin23 wrote:
photo

This was my Custom dream Machine Ronda the Remedy. It ripped, but after a while the rear end bearings kept going bad from the coil. I just bought a Specialized Enduro and did a frame swap for the parts.
How does the Enduro compare to the Remedy?
I've moved from a Trek shop to a Specialized/Giant/Santa Cruz shop recently and am considering my next bike (nomad/bronson are ruled out)

O+
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 6:15 Quote
Campbell-Thompson wrote:
shockwave wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:
Anyone had experience of using the new Rockshox MegNeg on a Slash yet? Currently weighing up options on going MegNeg in the back vs super deluxe coil. I want to get some increased small bump sensitivity but I also don't want to be bottoming out all the time.

Advantage of the MegNeg is I might also be able to afford a Vorsprung Smashpot for my forks.

Any info on how straight forward installing the MegNeg is would also be appreciated, likewise with the smashpot.

Cheers

I got the tractive valving from Vorsprung done on my Super Deluxe. So far, I am very impress. Very sensitive to small bump, no more spiking.

Yes i have megneg on mine best upgrade you can do for the rear shock before going to a while new rear shock. currently running 2 bands in it and it stops the bottom out issues and makes it much more sensitive. Rockshox make a specific 57.5mm one that you will need

So you need the 205/230 57.5-65 MegNeg kit? Or are you saying there is another one?

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
Campbell-Thompson wrote:
shockwave wrote:
willbikeleeds wrote:

Cheers

Thoughts on the megneg for a 220lb aggressive rider?

O+
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 6:59 Quote
Thinking of putting a coil shock on my 2019 Slash. I know I can put a 230x60 shock, is that a Trunion mount? Or standard eye to eye?

O+
Posted: May 14, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
mars-bar-man wrote:
Thinking of putting a coil shock on my 2019 Slash. I know I can put a 230x60 shock, is that a Trunion mount? Or standard eye to eye?

230x60 standard eye to eye works good with no rubbing. I've got a Super Deluxe on my Slash 8 in that size.

Posted: May 14, 2019 at 7:31 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
mars-bar-man wrote:

230x60 standard eye to eye works good with no rubbing. I've got a Super Deluxe on my Slash 8 in that size.

Will this fit on the carbon Slash? Can you literally swap straight over or do you need any new fitting kits?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016387
Mobile Version of Website