Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
toronte wrote:
Creaks:
I also had several creaks from my 2019 Trek Slash 8 (alu) frame and thought I'd share the list of things to check before you start replacing bottom brackets:
-Knock block headset is notorious for creaking, and from time to time it keeps coming back
-Seatpost and saddle rails (the latter you can fix with grease, the former seems to be permanent with the Bontrager dropper)
-Pivot bolts are missing grease from factory. Apply some where they contact the bearings. (easily confused with bb creak)
Potential other areas (not specific to the bike): pedal threads, derailleur bolt, chainring(broken nut/bolt).
It can be especially hard to locate the source on an alu frame. You can try sitting/standing (saddle), stand up pedal hard vs spin (crank/bb area) or just flex the frame while not being on it(isolate drivetrain vs frame pivot).

Luckily I had no issues with torquing anything down to the specification printed on bolts. No broken nuts, no stripped threads.

Pretty disappointing quality from Trek. Had several other used bikes before and didn't encounter as many noises or quality issues as I do with my first brand new purchase. This is most likely my last venture with this brand. It's a shame because otherwise it's a well rounded bike, one easy to get on with.

Honestly most bikes creak in one way or another. I work at a shop and I can’t tell you how many Santa Cruz’s, specialized enduros and giants make creaking noises. It’s particularly worse on carbon bikes. I would say it’d be foolish never buying a particular brand (doesn’t have to be trek) because of a common problem you’ll experience with other brands. The problems your having with your bike is just luck of the draw imo. Me and my buddy bought the exact same 2019 slash 9.8 and his BB was creaking like no tomorrow after 6mos while mines been quiet up to now (I’ve had the bike over a year)

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 23:01 Quote
j-dawg-mo wrote:
Built up a used 2018 Remedy 8 from the ground up with new and old parts. I'm happy with the outcome, great on the uphill and wicked on the downs.

2018 Remedy 8 Frame
2020 Fox Float X2 230x57.5
2019 DVO Diamond 170mm
50mm knockblock stem
Chromag OSX cut to 780
Chromag Clutch Grips
2019 TRP Quadiem
Shimano IceTech 203mm Rotors
OneUp 150mm Post and lever
Chromag Lynx DT Seat
RaceFace Atlas Crank 170mm 30 Tooth
Chromag Contact Pedal
Shimano XT 11spd
SunRace MX 11spd 11-46t
YBN Black Ti Chain
Bontrager Line Comp TRL Front Wheel
Bontrager Line Comp 30 Rear Wheel
Continental Der Baron Projekt 2.4 rubber

That's a babe

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 20:10 Quote
Well, it's that time of year. Old one out, new one in.

Ordered my 2020 Remedy 9.9 with some upgrades, should have it built in a couple weeks.

Old bike gonna have to find a new home, best Remedy I have ever had.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 1:17 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Well, it's that time of year. Old one out, new one in.

Ordered my 2020 Remedy 9.9 with some upgrades, should have it built in a couple weeks.

Old bike gonna have to find a new home, best Remedy I have ever had.

Can't wait to see this bud!

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 12:24 Quote
dustn323 wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:

Good choice.

What part? "keeping that shit to myself"? hahah

Buying the larger bike.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 12:29 Quote
My Remedy isn't selling so I might pull some parts off it to build up my Chameleon and sell the Remedy as a builder.

What do you guys think about me selling my remedy like this...

2018 Carbon Size Large Remedy Frame.
CC headset. Raceface TurbineR stem with knock block adapter. 40mm.
FOX Factory 36. RC2. Very very low miles. Like 2 rides.
FOX Factory DPX2.
FOX Factory Transfer Post.
Bottombracket.
Deity saddle

I'd even toss in my tires and nearly new grips.

Sell all that for like $2700.
Seem reasonable? Doable?

Then I could build my Chameleon pretty much immediately instead of over the next month or two.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 19:45 Quote
Why dont you think it's selling? Seems like a solid build.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 22:02 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:

Honestly no idea. Maybe priced to low. Lol.

It’s a crazy clean build. Killer shape. Rides amazing. Pretty much top of the line everything. Price is way more than fair.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 4:06 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:

Honestly no idea. Maybe priced to low. Lol.

It’s a crazy clean build. Killer shape. Rides amazing. Pretty much top of the line everything. Price is way more than fair.

I am surprise that you’re not asking more than that. That is a great deal and that it is not sold????? I sold my 17 Remedy 9RSL 3500$ last year. It did not last 2 weeks for sell. I would try my custom 18 at 4500$ if I was going to sell, It is somewhat a similar built but yours is more pimp than mine.

Good luck!

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
Yea, I'll be listing mine for 4500 or so likely, it's a '19 with full X01.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 16:20 Quote
Yeah I originally listed it for $4000 and felt that it was super fair at that price. Now it's dropped to $3700 and still no bites.

I'm honestly trying to pass on a great deal to someone but maybe I kicked myself in the teeth on that one because folks are used to paying more?

ZenkiS14 (if you have one, nice car). That bike should sell for that price. The big benefit you have over me is that your frame is the newer generation with the solid bottom mount. Mine is full floating. That's why I knocked $500 or so off what I felt like it was worth parts wise.

What you gonna replace it with?

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 20:53 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Yeah I originally listed it for $4000 and felt that it was super fair at that price. Now it's dropped to $3700 and still no bites.

I'm honestly trying to pass on a great deal to someone but maybe I kicked myself in the teeth on that one because folks are used to paying more?

ZenkiS14 (if you have one, nice car). That bike should sell for that price. The big benefit you have over me is that your frame is the newer generation with the solid bottom mount. Mine is full floating. That's why I knocked $500 or so off what I felt like it was worth parts wise.

2020 9.9 with a few upgrades. Should arrive tomorrow, wont have it built up for a few weeks though. Gonna have to swap a few things around.

Posted: Oct 15, 2019 at 23:44 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:

had the same problem with my 9.8 2018.
sold my 9.9 from 2017 like nothing and my 2018 sold realy badly

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 0:02 Quote
pAzk wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:

Tried selling my Slash 9.7 for essentially trade price so I could upgrade. No real interest aside from chancers offering £500 less than was asking.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 0:42 Quote
mars-bar-man wrote:
pAzk wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:

Tried selling my Slash 9.7 for essentially trade price so I could upgrade. No real interest aside from chancers offering £500 less than was asking.

Doesn't make any sense. If it said Santa Cruz on it it would have sold in a heartbeat. Doesn't make sense man. These Remedy's absolutely rip. Such a sick bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012061
Mobile Version of Website