Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
Author Message
Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
shralping-the-cube wrote:
pqbb wrote:
everythingscomingupmilhouse wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.

I've decided against the status now, everyone seems to agree it sucks at general mtb so as my only bike it's a no go. That leaves the 153 and the remedy.

It seems the 153 is more playful, better geo, better on descents, but the suspension is worse so I'd want to upgrade that making it the most expensive option, and it's from an online retailer so after sales support would be tricky.

The remedy on the other hand is a better package, ready to go straight away, and would be bought from a trek shop super close to my house where a mate works. I'm starting to lean towards that... the descents are my fave bit, but I love tech climbs too, and it will be my only bike so it needs to be good ish at everything. I think this sounds like the remedy! I am a bit worried about the conservative geo and people saying it's not as good at descents, but I think I need more help on the climbs to be honest!

Anyone own a remedy that doesn't like it? Anyone wishing it had more progressive geo or was more aggressive on descents? I know 1 bike can't really be good at everything, but it seems most people are happy enough with the remedy for everything? It could be a bit of a goldilocks bike by the sound of it

I've owned a M Remedy 9 RSL 2017 (with upgraded fork to Lyrik RC2), followed by a L 2019 Process 153 (27.5).
The Remedy was a bit too small for me which is why I got the Process, found a great deal on the frame + shock.
I swapped all the parts from the remedy onto the Kona and the result was I wanted to cry... or almost.
I loved the Remedy experience at least 100x times more than the Process even though the Process was the right size for me.
As I was stuck with the Process, I had to get a MegNeg upgrade + filled the rear shock with 3.5 tokens + a -1 degree angle set + a 170mm fork upgrade + 50mm stem to get it to run somewhat decent. While the out of the box experience of the remedy was amazing.

The rear shock on the Process is way too linear, which is why I needed the tokens and MegNeg to get more progression while keeping some small bump compliance. Even then, the upgraded super deluxe with MegNeg and tokens felt much choppier than the stock re-aktiv deluxe shock on the Remedy and I would still bottom it out too often to my liking. Also, the 66 degree HTA on the process is noticeable and not very nice. I was riding the remedy in high position (65.5) to get the extra reach and still needed to get the angle set on the Kona to get it to feel right.

If this wasn't clear enough:
I wouldn't recommend the Kona Process 2019 27.5 (and whatever years of that generation) to my worst enemy. Remedy 2017 > Process 27.5 2019.


The high position on a 2017 Remedy is 66.5 HTA. Not 65.5. The low position is 66.

The 2019 is 65.5 in low. 66 in high.

As far as I know the 2017 RSL models came with 160mm fork instead of 150mm for the rest of the models.
So the HA most probably are 66/65.5

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 16:57 Quote
Remedy 8 X 169mm Fork DVO Onyx SC 170mm Shock DVO Jade X 169mm 230X65
My Trek Remedy 8 X Wink (169mm)

Fork: DVO Onyx SC, 170mm
Shock: DVO Jade X 169mm 230X65, 169mm

Long stroke might ruffle feathers so here are some points:

- No the shock does not change head angle or any other geo (same eye to eye, Sag at 18% vs 25% with stock shock)
EDIT Sag is 22% @169 vs 25% @150 almost identical.
- Yes this voids warranty
- Yes there is still clearance at full compression (tested without spring)
- Yes it has transformed the bike, ridden Dh and bike park jumps for 6months, amazingly plush and no issues.
- No it doesn't climb as well, mostly from added weight (Jade x full compression setting is great)
- Yes I am stoked with how this bike rides and feels. Might be overkill for some but it's so much better than the 150mm stock set up for me.

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 20:36 Quote
lukemc wrote:
Remedy 8 X 169mm Fork DVO Onyx SC 170mm Shock DVO Jade X 169mm 230X65
My Trek Remedy 8 X Wink (169mm)

Fork: DVO Onyx SC, 170mm
Shock: DVO Jade X 169mm 230X65, 169mm

This might ruffle feathers so here are some bullet points:

- No it does not change head angle or any other geo (same eye to eye, Sag at 18% vs 25% with stock shock)
- Yes this voids warranty
- Yes there is still clearance at full compression (tested without spring)
- Yes it has transformed the bike, ridden Dh and bike park jumps for 6months, amazingly plush and no issues.
- No it doesn't climb as well, mostly from added weight (Jade x full compression setting is great)
- Yes I am stoked with how this bike rides and feels. Might be overkill for some but it's so much better than the 150mm stock set up for me.

how'd you put a longer fork and not change geo? also I'm guessing you got those percentages backwards? because 18% sag at 169mm is longer than 25% sag at 150.

basically a 27.5 slash now, i guess?

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 22:02 Quote
shralping-the-cube wrote:
lukemc wrote:
Remedy 8 X 169mm Fork DVO Onyx SC 170mm Shock DVO Jade X 169mm 230X65
My Trek Remedy 8 X Wink (169mm)

Fork: DVO Onyx SC, 170mm
Shock: DVO Jade X 169mm 230X65, 169mm

This might ruffle feathers so here are some bullet points:

- No it does not change head angle or any other geo (same eye to eye, Sag at 18% vs 25% with stock shock)
- Yes this voids warranty
- Yes there is still clearance at full compression (tested without spring)
- Yes it has transformed the bike, ridden Dh and bike park jumps for 6months, amazingly plush and no issues.
- No it doesn't climb as well, mostly from added weight (Jade x full compression setting is great)
- Yes I am stoked with how this bike rides and feels. Might be overkill for some but it's so much better than the 150mm stock set up for me.

how'd you put a longer fork and not change geo? also I'm guessing you got those percentages backwards? because 18% sag at 169mm is longer than 25% sag at 150.

basically a 27.5 slash now, i guess?

Sorry, yes the fork does change the geo. I was referring to the shock on geo.
EDIT: Sag was a bit off. It's 22% @169. That is almost identical position to 25% @150.

Yeah, close to a 27.5 slash. Keep long travel 27.5 alive!
(First time posting on a thread. Hope I did it right)

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 22:12 Quote
So do you know what your HTA and other geo is now? I’m curious.

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 22:34 Quote
shralping-the-cube wrote:
So do you know what your HTA and other geo is now? I’m curious.

I believe the general rule of thumb is for every 20mm of travel added leads to 1-degree slacker. 160 to 170 fork would be .5 degrees slacker HA. So roughly from 66.1 to 65.6. (66.1 is too steep for me.) Most long travel Enduro are in the 64 degree range.
Not sure about the rest of the geo.

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 1:28 Quote
I have my old Remedy 8 frame with the split near the bottle cage bosses,
I was going to make this bike up and maybe sell it. Nothing else is wrong and It would have a brand new shock.
Seem like a good idea or should I not waste my time?

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 1:34 Quote
getmiked wrote:
I have my old Remedy 8 frame with the split near the bottle cage bosses,
I was going to make this bike up and maybe sell it. Nothing else is wrong and It would have a brand new shock.
Seem like a good idea or should I not waste my time?

How did it happen? Lifetime warranty on the frame I think? Get it checked out maybe?

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 1:56 Quote
everythingscomingupmilhouse wrote:
getmiked wrote:
I have my old Remedy 8 frame with the split near the bottle cage bosses,
I was going to make this bike up and maybe sell it. Nothing else is wrong and It would have a brand new shock.
Seem like a good idea or should I not waste my time?
]

How did it happen? Lifetime warranty on the frame I think? Get it checked out maybe?

I got this frame replaced under warranty, still have this one just sitting in my shed and thought I might be able to make some covid cash

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 2:12 Quote
fair enough. I wouldn't buy it, maybe someone would tho. If you've got parts to put on it you got nowt to lose by trying!

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 4:13 Quote
everythingscomingupmilhouse wrote:
fair enough. I wouldn't buy it, maybe someone would tho. If you've got parts to put on it you got nowt to lose by trying!
I wouldn't buy it either but worth a try I guess.

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
getmiked wrote:
everythingscomingupmilhouse wrote:
fair enough. I wouldn't buy it, maybe someone would tho. If you've got parts to put on it you got nowt to lose by trying!
I wouldn't buy it either but worth a try I guess.

I would just clean it up and hung it up on the wall!

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 4:06 Quote
After admiring all of your bikes on here, I'd love to share my new 2021 Remedy 9.8

All the gear no idea at the moment. I had a good BMX background albeit 10 years ago so I hope it all comes back.

I have just been using it for general riding so far but would love to take it somewhere to play about on a few jumps & drops.

Few small upgrades so far including:

- Funn Equaliser Stem 42.5mm length, 10mm rise (With knockblock lockring)
- Fox Mudguard
- ODI Elite Flow grips
- Hope Black Topcap
- Trickstuff pads
- Unite Raw chainring - although recently removed as it was a little bling for me.

Cheers!



Posted: Jun 29, 2021 at 17:22 Quote
Did you reuse the stock mounting hardware? Putting the same shock on the same bike but curious if I need new hardware.
dannykennard wrote:
Coil now on, only had it out once, but feels great. Might need to up the spring rate though.



 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013930
Mobile Version of Website