Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
No issues with EXO where I live but if I had rockier or pointier trails I would be looking for double down at minimum.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 14:14 Quote
EXO is like playing russian roulette, but the gun has only two chambers and both of them are loaded.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 14:48 Quote
Try exo Hr2 with a tannus insert at 20psi, I wouldn’t normally run maxxis but this is straight up fun time drift time.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
alexgosu wrote:
As for maxxis official site:

Choose EXO Protection for exceptionally rocky, treacherous trails where the chance of sidewall cuts and abrasions is high.

Shouldn't it be perfect for Enduro?

If the quote were true, then yes. But it's not. Just like claims of rear suspension with zero energy loss and the many other lies marketers tell.

Another way to look at it: if EXO were sufficient for enduro, then why would we need EXO+, Double Down, and DH casings?

EXO is reasonably tough for how light it is and how little rolling resistance it adds. To put it in perspective, World Cup XC racers often use EXO casings. People who ride tires with 1 mm deep tread, foam grips, and, in some cases, unpadded carbon saddles and no dropper posts run EXO casings. Fast and light? You bet. Tough? Not so much.

EXO+ looks like it may actually deliver on the promises of EXO.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 18:24 Quote
I can assure you EXO+ is much closer to EXO than DD. Haven't noticed any real differences vs EXO when used as a front. Makes for a 60g? difference on a 29x2.4WT Minion. Same mileage/tire plug ratio.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
No issues with EXO where I live but if I had rockier or pointier trails I would be looking for double down at minimum.

I’ve had zero issues with EXO casing but lose shale tire cutting rocks are the exception here. Maybe you’re all just hack riders?
I kid, I kid.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 18:48 Quote
the only EXO casing ive ever had issues with was an ardent, and i think that was just cause it was an ardent and sucked from the getgo.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 19:09 Quote
jpcars10s wrote:
I can assure you EXO+ is much closer to EXO than DD. Haven't noticed any real differences vs EXO when used as a front. Makes for a 60g? difference on a 29x2.4WT Minion. Same mileage/tire plug ratio.

I should hope Double Down is a lot tougher, being two casings and all. So you're tearing the EXO+ with similar frequency as EXO?

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 19:43 Quote
You could black out the labels and I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 22:25 Quote
Hi All, the FB29 belongs to me, thank you Alex for sharing the photo with the community.

I am currently using the FB29 for park rides with uplifts. No plans to install a dropper and keeping the build simple. 10 speed zee with chain guide.

As for the choice of crankset, it came with the bike and I don't weigh that heavy. I'm about 55kg with gears.

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 22:33 Quote
As for the tire choice, I got them during clearance sale when I was in Perth. If I were to replace the tire anytime soon, I would go for EXO+.

For now, I will have to make do with EXO. So far the places that I ride are kind to my tires. Fingers crossed. Front tire is 3C MaxxGrip and rear is normal DHF. I'm running tubes, I'm up for the fun and not using for races.

On the side note, I should have sharpied the labels. :p

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 23:56 Quote
jpcars10s wrote:
You could black out the labels and I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Well that's disappointing.

I've heard more positive feedback from others, but the absence of flats doesn't prove much, as it's possible they just didn't hit anything sharp in the time they've been using EXO+.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
In have actually had good luck with exo too. Just every once in a while I slash one and it messes my day up. So switched to DD in back, then almost died when I slammed the front on a rock real bad. So double DD for me lol, just a security thing really, but they do track nicer.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 7:53 Quote
jpcars10s wrote:
Do you just plug and ride till the tread wears out? Or do you replace the tire asap? I had to use my first plug in an exo+ yesterday.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
Although the discussion does not belong here, I had no problem with 26" EXO tires. I can not say the same about the 29" EXO's. I have destroyed 3 in about 9 months (with the consequent use of tubes). I also have destroyed a Tough WTB Trail Boss in about 1 month so:
- maybe the tire diameter changed my speed drastically and i could not notice lol, or
- there is a problem of concept and they just "expand" the 26" tire to 29"

I will put a DH CASING behind to forget about this kind of problem

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017023
Mobile Version of Website