Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 16:54 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

The issues with the Message come from the damper, which come from the leverage curve.

The Message - and the Shout - have a significantly falling rate. Current wisdom is that a rising rate - firmer as you get farther into the travel - works better for rear suspension and the same should be true for the front. The falling rate on Trust products isn't ideal and surely wasn't a design goal, rather a unavoidable consequence of the low, trailing linkage configuration. Trust has attempted to compensate for this with a high compression ratio air spring and, I'm guessing, a very firm damper with an unconventional damping curve.

Even after decades of refinement, big players like Fox and RockShox still find room to improve their damping with every revision, so it wouldn't be surprising if Trust is still in the steep part of their learning curve. Their springs and dampers will improve considerably with each generation.

This is really odd that DW would produce a fork with a falling rate.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 22:16 Quote
shirk-007 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

The issues with the Message come from the damper, which come from the leverage curve.

The Message - and the Shout - have a significantly falling rate. Current wisdom is that a rising rate - firmer as you get farther into the travel - works better for rear suspension and the same should be true for the front. The falling rate on Trust products isn't ideal and surely wasn't a design goal, rather a unavoidable consequence of the low, trailing linkage configuration. Trust has attempted to compensate for this with a high compression ratio air spring and, I'm guessing, a very firm damper with an unconventional damping curve.

Even after decades of refinement, big players like Fox and RockShox still find room to improve their damping with every revision, so it wouldn't be surprising if Trust is still in the steep part of their learning curve. Their springs and dampers will improve considerably with each generation.

This is really odd that DW would produce a fork with a falling rate.

I agree; didn't expect it, either. I've run several simulations and compared mine to simulations done by others and they all agree closely. Compare the Trust Message / Shout to the Motion E:18:

• Trust has a wonderfully strong, stiff chassis and compact links. Kinematics were compromised.
• Motion has magnificent kinematics*, but a questionable chassis.

If I had to guess, I would recklessly and unprofessionally speculate Trust's rationale was that you can (mostly) compensate for an imperfect leverage curve with a correspondingly unconventional damping curve and spring curve, but it takes a lot of material (i.e. weight) to compensate for a dodgy chassis.

If one design was a clear winner in both areas, we wouldn't have two different approaches!

* Impossible to analyze the Motion spring properties without knowing more about their leaf spring.

Posted: Sep 8, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
I think that's the first Trek that I really like the look of.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 5:16 Quote
Enduro43 wrote:

Nice

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 8:40 Quote
Always love the way a coil shock looks on a bike

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 11:14 Quote
I think it looks better in raw with a coil

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
matt-15 wrote:

Always.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 11:58 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

Always.

Thanks, fixed that

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 12:05 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
matt-15 wrote:

Always.

Thanks, fixed that

Thank you. Important distinction, I've always felt. A proper raw finish, whether metal or carbon, not only looks good (to me), but it indicates a "form over function" ethos and gives you a direct connection to the structural core of your bike.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
Enduro43 wrote:
Photo Ga tan Rey
Drool

Posted: Sep 16, 2019 at 4:09 Quote
Titan 29"
Rune v3 27.5"

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027437
Mobile Version of Website