Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Sexiest AM/enduro bike thread. Don't post your bike. Rules on first page.
Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 3:48 Quote
sosburn wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
Ooooh c'mon you can fit a few more spacers under that stem [ ... ]

Nearly every rider I see on a Large has some spacers and most riders on XL have a tower and wish for more. The few riders on Large or XL who want less stack can use a wide, flat bar (which I happen to think looks good, in keeping with the theme of the thread).

So, do we all agree large sizes need more stack than current norms or am I off the mark here?

agreed Frown currently wishing for riser bars with more rise

Well I have 0mm spacers and 25mm rise bar on my large Evolink. I think I'll try a lower bars or a lower stack cover on the headset.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 7:36 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
... Taking photos of your bike with the seat post all the way up is really saying: "Look at my sick Enduro bike that I could
be hukking the gnar on, but really I just grind up fire roads in South Dakota, because I'm full XC."

I always felt like taking pictures of your bike with the seat slammed was like saying "I run my seat super low on my Enduro bike because I want people to think I'm enduro but in reality I could never do enduro because I never actually pedal my bike."

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 7:56 Quote
So which is it? Full erection, flaccid or some kind of in between semi length for pics?

Same question for droppers in bike pics...

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
PHeller wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
... Taking photos of your bike with the seat post all the way up is really saying: "Look at my sick Enduro bike that I could
be hukking the gnar on, but really I just grind up fire roads in South Dakota, because I'm full XC."

I always felt like taking pictures of your bike with the seat slammed was like saying "I run my seat super low on my Enduro bike because I want people to think I'm enduro but in reality I could never do enduro because I never actually pedal my bike."

It really does look better when the seat is inline with the stem of the bike (usually half-ish the way up). However all the way up certainly looks better than slammed IMO

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 8:26 Quote
rtclark wrote:

probably the sickest kona ever

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 10:44 Quote
ridayobike wrote:
marin8ted wrote:

Ooooh c'mon you can fit a few more spacers under that stem, saves on buying riser bars I suppose.
Paint it turquoise then you got something, then you be Flossin'.

HEY NOW!!!! It sucks here and don't come here!! Colorado is waayyy cooler!

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 11:48 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
ridayobike wrote:
Ooooh c'mon you can fit a few more spacers under that stem [ ... ]

Nearly every rider I see on a Large has some spacers and most riders on XL have a tower and wish for more. The few riders on Large or XL who want less stack can use a wide, flat bar (which I happen to think looks good, in keeping with the theme of the thread).

So, do we all agree large sizes need more stack than current norms or am I off the mark here?
Stack heights are now much higher than they used to be though if we're comparing modern long travel 29ers to the 27.5 and 26 bikes from a few years ago.

I personally don't like a massively high bar so it's nice to be able to run all the standard bars, many of which aren't available at much other than 20mm or so rise. Obviously there's plenty of choice for bars but still. And sure I could run a flatter bar if I had too tall a stack but that only works to drop down to a flat bar. In the other direction you could run 20+mm of spacers and a high rise bar, so a small head tube is less limiting.

All that being said, that's all on the extreme ends that you'd be limited so maybe a longer head tube isn't all bad. Not to mention anything shorter than about 120mm on an xl is kinda silly.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
Also, random question for R-M-R. Would you mind giving me your thoughts on the new Propain, if you've had a chance to look at it? Seriously considering it as a next bike but I'm not too up to date on the what's what of leverage curves and things.

Also coming off a Commencal Meta v4.1 size xl and I'm curious if you could advise me on sizing. The geometry is quite different from my old bike so I'm struggling a bit with what makes the most sense there. I'm 6'3 and looking between a large and xl. I found the reach on the meta quite comfortable with a 50mm stem but could go longer. The effective top tube was a bit long for my taste though. I think the large could already fix that potentially, but maybe an xl would be better. Just a bit unsure about how much that big difference in stack will affect things.

Thoughts? Obviously understandable if it's a bit too much trouble, but I'd appreciate any input.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
Also, random question for R-M-R. Would you mind giving me your thoughts on the new Propain, if you've had a chance to look at it? Seriously considering it as a next bike but I'm not too up to date on the what's what of leverage curves and things.

Also coming off a Commencal Meta v4.1 size xl and I'm curious if you could advise me on sizing. The geometry is quite different from my old bike so I'm struggling a bit with what makes the most sense there. I'm 6'3 and looking between a large and xl. I found the reach on the meta quite comfortable with a 50mm stem but could go longer. The effective top tube was a bit long for my taste though. I think the large could already fix that potentially, but maybe an xl would be better. Just a bit unsure about how much that big difference in stack will affect things.

Thoughts? Obviously understandable if it's a bit too much trouble, but I'd appreciate any input.

From what I can tell it is a very well build bike with good suspension kinematics. At your hight I would definitely go for the 29er in XL.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
MrMiyagi wrote:
Arnoodles wrote:

From what I can tell it is a very well build bike with good suspension kinematics. At your hight I would definitely go for the 29er in XL.
Was thinking 29er for sure. Just a little unsure about the size. Might go around looking for demos on similar geo bikes but maybe that's a longshot to find around here.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 15:09 Quote
6'3" on XL Commencal and it felt too long?

I'm 6' and was plenty comfy on my XL Commencal.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
Arnoodles,

I'm 6' and ride about the same size as the Tyee 29 XL. Personal preferences have to be considered, of course, but I agree with MrMiyagi: at your height, even XL is too small in many bikes and I would only recommend a Large in brands where Large is way out of line with other Larges - i.e. when it's actually a typical XL, labeled as Large.

The Tyee 29 XL is longer than the reach suggests, due to the high stack. It's essentially spot-on average for a 2019 / 2020 XL - couple millimeters short, if we're being precise - which is at the lower end of what I recommend to folks your size, but not unreasonable. You might consider a larger bike if you plan to slam your seat forward for a steeper seat-tube angle and you like a super short stem; if you like your seat a bit rearward and a moderate stem length, this should be okay.

Keeping in mind a bike is so much more than its kinematics, the motion ratio is medium/high progressive and the pedaling anti-squat is likewise (I don't know what ratio and centre of mass they chose for their chart; certainly not the same as what I use*). It's not ideal to have the anti-squat start low and rise for most of the travel, but it's not a deal-breaker. Brake squat starts moderately high and ends moderately low. Again, this is the reverse of what I would do, but it's also not a big deal.

Overall, the geometry and kinematics are pretty much dead centre of what we're seeing in this category for 2019 - present. If I were your height, I'd look for something longer, but it's not unreasonably small for you.

* This is not to say one is better than the other. I feel pretty confident about my centre of mass locations for each size, but the choice of sprockets has a huge influence on the anti-squat and is highly arbitrary. It would be better to show the anti-squat curves of all ratios - at the very least, to disclose the ratio used.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
PHeller wrote:
6'3" on XL Commencal and it felt too long?

I'm 6' and was plenty comfy on my XL Commencal.

I'm 6"/184 and on an L Meta 29. Thought about going XL but 490 reach seemed very long for me at that time. In hindsight I wish it was a bit longer, but somewhere in the middle maybe. And the XL was out of stock, so that decision made itself.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Arnoodles,

I'm 6' and ride about the same size as the Tyee 29 XL. Personal preferences have to be considered, of course, but I agree with MrMiyagi: at your height, even XL is too small in many bikes and I would only recommend a Large in brands where Large is way out of line with other Larges - i.e. when it's actually a typical XL, labeled as Large.

The Tyee 29 XL is longer than the reach suggests, due to the high stack. It's essentially spot-on average for a 2019 / 2020 XL - couple millimeters short, if we're being precise - which is at the lower end of what I recommend to folks your size, but not unreasonable. You might consider a larger bike if you plan to slam your seat forward for a steeper seat-tube angle and you like a super short stem; if you like your seat a bit rearward and a moderate stem length, this should be okay.

Keeping in mind a bike is so much more than its kinematics, the motion ratio is medium/high progressive and the pedaling anti-squat is likewise (I don't know what ratio and centre of mass they chose for their chart; certainly not the same as what I use*). It's not ideal to have the anti-squat start low and rise for most of the travel, but it's not a deal-breaker. Brake squat starts moderately high and ends moderately low. Again, this is the reverse of what I would do, but it's also not a big deal.

Overall, the geometry and kinematics are pretty much dead centre of what we're seeing in this category for 2019 - present. If I were your height, I'd look for something longer, but it's not unreasonably small for you.

* This is not to say one is better than the other. I feel pretty confident about my centre of mass locations for each size, but the choice of sprockets has a huge influence on the anti-squat and is highly arbitrary. It would be better to show the anti-squat curves of all ratios - at the very least, to disclose the ratio used.

Yeah but you don't know about bike fits so.... lol lol I KID!!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015527
Mobile Version of Website